Replacement seat upholstery recommendation? Cheshire based ideally...

Featured Posts

Apologies for the posting of multiple threads...

I've bought my first narrowboat (link below) and I'm looking to update the interior a little, including new seat upholstery.

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.com/boat.phtml?id=562933

Is there a specific type or brand of fabric that's recommended that'll stand up to the type of environment better in terms of potential moisture/cold/damp?

I'm based in Cheshire and I'm awaiting a quote from http://www.jbhupholstery.com/

Does anyone have any other recommendations for a decent outfit around Cheshire, and ideally a ball park cost figure for just the upholstery assuming I re-use the existing foam which seems in decent condition?

Thanks,

Edited by piedaterre

Try Simon Frith at Macclesfield. Price will vary a bit depending on material used. £25.00 a meter for the cheaper end of the spectrum. £60.00 for trendy stuff.

We had new foams and upholstery for a cross bed so 6ft x 4ft. Including making but not delivery was £470.00

It's best to turn up and look at samples if you can. 

There seems to be quite a few upholsterers near Cheshire - See here....

Get material specifically for upholstering. Also ask if the material is machine washable, it'll save you expensive dry cleaning costs. 

Have a go at doing it yourself, maybe ask the help of a friend, or family member. For guidance on how to do it, remember YouTube is brilliant.

• 4 weeks later...

Afraid not.  The ad. was never taken down and has auto-renewed after another month, so back at the top of the listings.

The boat's undergoing a fair bit of cosmetic work, hopefully due to be completed over the next 2 weeks.  An engineered wooden floor's been fitted and I found a place able to do the curtains and seating.  It's just down to me to paint the interior now.

I'll share some before and after photos once done.

• Happy 1

• 4 weeks later...