Advice on repaint or varnish interior?

Featured Posts

Hi,

I've just bought my first narrowboat and I'm looking to potentially make some changes to the interior.  The boat's interior can be see on the below link:

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.com/boat.phtml?id=562933

It's a bit dated and dark for such a small boat.  The current own varnished the interior around a year ago.  I'm potentially thinking of either varnishing in a much lighter colour, possibly lighter oak, or repainting in a neutral off-white.

If I use a mouse sander to take off the varnish do you think a lighter colour will take or end up looking a bit of a mess?  Is there a varnish you'd recommend?

In terms of paint, I'd be wanting a durable, matt finish.  Would anti-mold / bathroom paint be the best choice given potential damp and condensation potential inside of a narrowboat?

Thanks in advance.

1 minute ago, piedaterre said:

If I use a mouse sander to take off the varnish do you think a lighter colour will take or end up looking a bit of a mess?

It would look a huge mess. Stain varnish ALWAYS looks streaky and I just can’t see how trying to go lighter would look anything other than a messy bodge. I think you’d be much better off painting it. 

The choice of paint won’t affect condensation and mould - that’s controlled by good ventilation. 

Thanks.  Thought that might be the case with the varnish.  It doesn't look 'bad' now, just a bit dated and dark.  The panels on the inside of the shower room look a much nicer colour.

I'll look to use a tough, matt finish that's washable and looks a bit rustic.

Would you bother sanding first and / or using an white undercoat?

You could remove the varnish, but I fear it won't re varnish, though you might try a semi-translucent white[ish] wash, showing the grain texture. I think its rather risky.

Or use something like 3-4 coats of Epiphanes multicoat which is self priming. If you can remove or replace a good quality wood trim it may be worthwhile.

Start  about 5 mins in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I8Lof_3M1A

Do NOT use Ronseal One Coat cupboard paint .... its some sort of rubber paint, does not cover in one coat,  is difficult to apply and use.

10 hours ago, piedaterre said:

Would you bother sanding first and / or using an white undercoat?

Yes to both. That’s how you get a good finish on wood. 

1 hour ago, ianali said:

I like it! I’d tidy up here and there, few bright cushions, pictures etc and see what it looks like then? The wood looks pretty good to me.

yes, the cushions need to be bigger use the current ones but add 2 inches of foam

3 years ago, we were faced with a similar challenge - a dark scumbled saloon (sides and ceiling).

Used this Shellac-based primer, sealer and stain remover to seal the varnished surfaces:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/zinsser-b-i-n-shellac-based-primer-sealer-1ltr/29661?tc=CT2&ds_kid=92700030936902296&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1249481&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsb_ixr-g2wIV6rztCh1Pig98EAQYAiABEgK3PvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CJPQo8u_oNsCFYU8GwodyVkAdQ

Then painted with a light coloured solvent based paint (matt or eggshell I think)

No problems since and very pleased with the result.

• Greenie 1

On 25/05/2018 at 10:13, gbclive said:

3 years ago, we were faced with a similar challenge - a dark scumbled saloon (sides and ceiling).

Used this Shellac-based primer, sealer and stain remover to seal the varnished surfaces:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/zinsser-b-i-n-shellac-based-primer-sealer-1ltr/29661?tc=CT2&ds_kid=92700030936902296&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1249481&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsb_ixr-g2wIV6rztCh1Pig98EAQYAiABEgK3PvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CJPQo8u_oNsCFYU8GwodyVkAdQ

Then painted with a light coloured solvent based paint (matt or eggshell I think)

No problems since and very pleased with the result.

Brilliant, that looks great.  

I bought the boat today and plan on starting work on it tomorrow.  I'll be using that.  Looks like it'll save me sanding the lot down, other than a few rough, worn edges and surfaces I've seen.

On 24/05/2018 at 23:13, LadyG said:

yes, the cushions need to be bigger use the current ones but add 2 inches of foam

Thanks,

So I could ask an upholster to cut me some foam inserts to add on top of the existing ones, rather than chucking the existing ones away to start a fresh?

They could then upholster new material to measure up with the old foam plus the new 2 inch addition?

11 hours ago, piedaterre said:

Brilliant, that looks great.  

I bought the boat today and plan on starting work on it tomorrow.  I'll be using that.  Looks like it'll save me sanding the lot down, other than a few rough, worn edges and surfaces I've seen.

Thanks,

So I could ask an upholster to cut me some foam inserts to add on top of the existing ones, rather than chucking the existing ones away to start a fresh?

They could then upholster new material to measure up with the old foam plus the new 2 inch addition?

Yes, you can use  best quality foam, it will stick on top with a glue.  firmer if you want, then it is all covered in "stockinette", then new hard wearing zipped washable covers, but wait til all interior decor is finished as you might as well have a fabric to set off the decor, measure how much fabric required, you might get an offcut, but you need 10 to 20% extra to allow for cutting etc. Any good upholsterer can do it, boat upholsterer will be best of course. If the original foam is deteriorated, then you may have to start from scratch.

It depends on the boat, but if you use the seats as bunks you have to have flat rectangular cushions rather than shaped, but you can get away from the caravan look by a simple foam cylinder covered in fabric at either end of the seating, a sloped foam cushion [wedge shape] is best for the back, but may not be possible.

Edited by LadyG