Cruiser Stern - Securing Batteries??

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I thought we were discussing the BSS requirement to secure batteries. There are several sailing boats on the Broads that require a BSC

Nope. I am discussing canal narrowboats. Dunno about you!

14 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I am sure if they own the marina they can insist you have a BSC without any legislation, whether you chose to use their marina is up to you.

Indeed they could - but as it is a 'sea' marina and I doubt more than a couple of boats there go onto the inland waterways - they would certainly risk having an empty marina, but they responded by saying there was not a requirement for a BSS and no one had ever raised it before (maybe a new person in the office ?).

If they did insist, then the Police boats and the Border-Force patrol boats (huge navy-type boats) would also similarly be affected, or, need to find new moorings

So all's well that ends well.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Indeed they could - but as it is a 'sea' marina and I doubt more than a couple of boats there go onto the inland waterways - they would certainly risk having an empty marina, but they responded by saying there was not a requirement for a BSS and no one had ever raised it before (maybe a new person in the office ?).

If they did insist, then the Police boats and the Border-Force patrol boats (huge navy-type boats) would also similarly be affected, or, need to find new moorings

So all's well that ends well.

I have never understood why the border boat comes all the way into Hull. Would it not be better stationed at Grimsby?

4 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

I have never understood why the border boat comes all the way into Hull. Would it not be better stationed at Grimsby?

We were going to take a mooring in Grimsby but it is GRIM.

Its more than a mile walk thru a derelict industrial estate to get to the edge of 'town' and even further to get to a 'Chippy'.

At least in Hull its only a couple of 100 yds into the centre of town, ice-rink, cinema, shops. ....................

22 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

We were going to take a mooring in Grimsby but it is GRIM.

Its more than a mile walk thru a derelict industrial estate to get to the edge of 'town' and even further to get to a 'Chippy'.

At least in Hull its only a couple of 100 yds into the centre of town, ice-rink, cinema, shops. ....................

It is indeed Grim.

We only use it as it is closer to the sea and cuts almost an hour off our next days cruising.

The clubhouse is very good and we found a decent Indian that delivered to the marina so we didn't have to stray outside the compound.

Wasn't much fun when we got stuck there for a couple of days though. We had to go to Cleethorpes!

23 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Probably smells of fish too!

Not anymore. There were more windfarm vessels then fishing boats last time we went!

11 hours ago, Rebotco said:

Could you not just drill holes in the existing tray lip to take a bolt and ring?  Ratchet type hold down straps usually have a hook at each end which would hook into the rings.

Difficult - the batteries are such a tight fit that a nut on the inside would mean they would no longer fit - hence the slot idea.

On ‎24‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 10:57, Richard10002 said:

I have a cruiser stern with a shallow "tray", about an inch deep, welded above the swim, (I think), that just takes either 3 x 110Ah Leisure batteries, or 4 x Trojan T105..... it measures 525mm x 362mm. Securing my batteries has always felt like a bit of a bodge and, as I'm approaching a BSS inspection.

I'm interested in how others secure their batteries in the engine space of a cruiser stern... Photos would be really helpful, if not too much trouble.

Many Thanks,

Richard

My set up was similar to yours. I had space so I used Sikaflex to fix a piece of 3x2 beyond 2 of the angled steelpieces. Before I glued them in I fixed a substantial hinge to each. A 1" ratchet strap secures the batteries from any movement, one of its hooks going through one of the holes in each hinge. A cut down car floor mat goes over the top of the batteries, fishing elastic secures this to each hinge. The BSS man was satisfied with this. 

6 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

Difficult - the batteries are such a tight fit that a nut on the inside would mean they would no longer fit - hence the slot idea.

So what were you proposing to go through the slots? Surely that would stick through just as much as the ends of hooks?

Edited by WotEver
Tryping

6 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

Drill and tap then screw an eye bolt in, or if using webbing just screw a flat plate on the outside of the frame trapping the webbing ends

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

So what were you proposing to go through the slots? Surely that would stick through just as much as the ends of hooks?

The strap, which will be very thin.....

3 hours ago, Gareth E said:

My set up was similar to yours. I had space so I used Sikaflex to fix a piece of 3x2 beyond 2 of the angled steelpieces. Before I glued them in I fixed a substantial hinge to each. A 1" ratchet strap secures the batteries from any movement, one of its hooks going through one of the holes in each hinge. A cut down car floor mat goes over the top of the batteries, fishing elastic secures this to each hinge. The BSS man was satisfied with this. 

I like that!!

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Drill and tap then screw an eye bolt in, or if using webbing just screw a flat plate on the outside of the frame trapping the webbing ends

and I really like that :)

On 24/05/2018 at 12:45, Mike the Boilerman said:

Its hard to understand why. 

It's obvious innit.

Lead acid batteries give off hydrogen when charging, and hydrogen is lighter than air.

So it is to stop your batteries from floating away towards the end of an equalising charge... ?