Cruiser Stern - Securing Batteries??

Featured Posts

Our narrow boats batteries sit in a steel tray. The tray stops them moving sideways but only rises about 1 inch up the batteries sides. Been like this since we brought it. Was surveyed and had new Bss at the time. As it’s due a new Bss late this year I’ve been wondering about securing them further. Guess different Bss inspectors have varying views.

9 minutes ago, ianali said:

Our narrow boats batteries sit in a steel tray. The tray stops them moving sideways but only rises about 1 inch up the batteries sides. Been like this since we brought it. Was surveyed and had new Bss at the time. As it’s due a new Bss late this year I’ve been wondering about securing them further. Guess different Bss inspectors have varying views.

Is there a 'strap' going over the top to stop then 'jumping' out of the 'tray' ?

If not :-

Quote from the BSS :

NOTE – restraint against vertical movement is generally required. However batteries may be secured by
means of a cradle or framework sufficient to ensure batteries remain secure under any condition up to 45° to
the horizontal. Recesses, cradles or frameworks extending to half the height of the battery meet this
allowance.

Makes you wonder why the BSS bother printing the guidance or (allegedly) ensuring all examiners test to a consistent standard.

Why not just say "go and have a look at the boat and see what you think of it, if they give you a mug of tea and a Jaffa cake, issue a 'pass'"

Edited by Alan de Enfield

4 minutes ago, ianali said:

I bought my boat with a similar tray type thing and a BSS, but I wasnt convinced about the security of the batteries. I managed to secure 2 x 110Ah leisure and a 110Ah starter, with clamps, J-bolts, straps, and a plywood top... but I now have 4 x T105s which take all of the space in the box at a squeeze, need longer J bolts, and a smaller tray welding in to take the starter. Just looking for ideas.

I'm having difficulty finding someone to do the welding so, rather than weld rings into the swim deck, I'm considering cutting slots in the 1" steel tray sides, to take the straps. How easy would it be to cut these slots, and what would I need to do it. I've got a Bosch Green plunge cutting thing, which is great in wood, but I'm not so sure how it would do in 3mm steel, (a guess at the thickness).

3 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

I bought my boat with a similar tray type thing and a BSS, but I wasnt convinced about the security of the batteries. I managed to secure 2 x 110Ah leisure and a 110Ah starter, with clamps, J-bolts, straps, and a plywood top... but I now have 4 x T105s which take all of the space in the box at a squeeze, need longer J bolts, and a smaller tray welding in to take the starter. Just looking for ideas.

I'm having difficulty finding someone to do the welding so, rather than weld rings into the swim deck, I'm considering cutting slots in the 1" steel tray sides, to take the straps. How easy would it be to cut these slots, and what would I need to do it. I've got a Bosch Green plunge cutting thing, which is great in wood, but I'm not so sure how it would do in 3mm steel, (a guess at the thickness).

Could you not just drill holes in the existing tray lip to take a bolt and ring?  Ratchet type hold down straps usually have a hook at each end which would hook into the rings.

5 hours ago, Rebotco said:

Could you not just drill holes in the existing tray lip to take a bolt and ring?  Ratchet type hold down straps usually have a hook at each end which would hook into the rings.

Aldi have a decent set of ratchet straps on sale this week.

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Aldi have a decent set of ratchet straps on sale this week.

My battery trays are bolted down over a long ratchet strap that goes over the top and holds everything in place.

Simple but effective.

10 hours ago, Robbo said:

Because that’s the only boats you have any knowledge of I presume.

No, because I'm suggesting canal boats never turn upside down so the batteries never fall out 'upwards', so don't need vertical restraint. They are heavy enough after all!

This is 'canal world', remember? 

30 minutes ago, Rickent said:

My battery trays are bolted down over a long ratchet strap that goes over the top and holds everything in place.

Simple but effective.

Did you have trouble with your batteries falling out before fitting the ratchet strap? 

:giggles:

21 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

No, because I'm suggesting canal boats never turn upside down so the batteries never fall out 'upwards', so don't need vertical restraint. They are heavy enough after all!

The BSS doesn’t cover just canals!   I’ve seen canal boats at a more than a 45 degree angle.   

Edited by Robbo

11 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

But why vertically? Boats don't turn upside down. 

They can do.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/547c70d640f0b602410000df/Breakaway_5.pdf

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Our sailing boat is often at an angle, the batteries haven't fallen out so far, but then it isn't subject to the bss, so maybe unsafe to use. 

Our little cruiser can heel to some silly angles when planing down the Trent. So we are more then happy to make sure that our batteries are very secure and have no chance of shifting or breaking free from their battery boxes.

11 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Is there a 'strap' going over the top to stop then 'jumping' out of the 'tray' ?

If not :-

Quote from the BSS :

NOTE – restraint against vertical movement is generally required. However batteries may be secured by
means of a cradle or framework sufficient to ensure batteries remain secure under any condition up to 45° to
the horizontal. Recesses, cradles or frameworks extending to half the height of the battery meet this
allowance.

Makes you wonder why the BSS bother printing the guidance or (allegedly) ensuring all examiners test to a consistent standard.

Why not just say "go and have a look at the boat and see what you think of it, if they give you a mug of tea and a Jaffa cake, issue a 'pass'"

No, no strap etc to stop vertical movement. They haven’t moved upwards as yet ( surprising really as they are often in float mode) Makes you wonder about the Bss doesn’t it? Chap I used is well known and often recommended on here. I will strap them down before next inspection just to be on the safe side. Easy job as the trays sit on legs so room for strap to go under and over. In fact it’s such a good battery compartment layout that I wonder why they were not held down by some method. Maybe previous owner changed it. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Looks to me as though the batteries shifting and causing sparks are the least of that boat's problems!

It's not a canal narrow boat though. 

846671840_ScreenShot2018-05-25at08_47_14.png.9caae477039c8c6b8f2018cec09024bb.png

No but it is a river boat that required a BSC. You didn't specify narrowboat in the post I quoted!

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Did you have trouble with your batteries falling out before fitting the ratchet strap? 

Every morning I would have to put the batteries back in. Bloody nuisance they were, always dancing about all over the place. That ratchet strap tamed them good and proper.:ninja:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Really? 

Surely the electrical cables would have kept them in place... 

The cables helped, but every time my boat turned over during the night the batteries would fall out.:P

19 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Where ?

BWML told me I needed a BSS for out sailing cat to have a berth in Hull marina, when I asked them to point out the legislation requiring a sea-going boat to have a BSS they quickly back-peddled and decided that, that particular requirement in their T&Cs only applied to 'inland marinas'.

I am sure if they own the marina they can insist you have a BSC without any legislation, whether you chose to use their marina is up to you.