Cruiser Stern - Securing Batteries??

Featured Posts

I have a cruiser stern with a shallow "tray", about an inch deep, welded above the swim, (I think), that just takes either 3 x 110Ah Leisure batteries, or 4 x Trojan T105..... it measures 525mm x 362mm. Securing my batteries has always felt like a bit of a bodge and, as I'm approaching a BSS inspection.

I'm interested in how others secure their batteries in the engine space of a cruiser stern... Photos would be really helpful, if not too much trouble.

Many Thanks,

Richard

As you are probably aware the battery box should reach at least 1/2 of the way up the batteries, or they should be secured by other methods.

1) Weld a couple of eyelets onto the swim / counter and use a small (1") ratchet strap to strap them down, or

2) Hinge a baton of wood (2" x 1") against the bulkhead. Drill a hole in the other end of the baton, drop a J-Bolt thru the hole and hook it into a welded 'loop' on the counter.

Quote from the BSS :

NOTE – restraint against vertical movement is generally required. However batteries may be secured by
means of a cradle or framework sufficient to ensure batteries remain secure under any condition up to 45° to
the horizontal. Recesses, cradles or frameworks extending to half the height of the battery meet this
allowance.

Remember the batteries must / should be covered so that if any tools are dropped onto them they cannot land on the terminals. (small rubber terminal shrouds alone are not acceptable)

If your deck-boards are 'split' into sections, if you can lift the main section and access the engine to work on it whilst the batteries remain covered (with a small 'side section' of decking) this is acceptable.

Quote from the BSS :

NOTE – deck boards, locker lids, etc, made from or lined with insulating material may only be considered as
battery covers where they will not be removed for any purpose other than gaining access to the batteries.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Mine have angle iron welded to the swim to form a tray and stop any lateral movement and then a plywood board over the top to prevent anything dropping onto the batteries.

a 1" ratchet strap goes over everything to secure it all, ends of the strap are bolted to the angle iron frame

BSS is also used for lumpy water boats with sticks, string and floppy cloths.

These can cause boats to tip a bit and even go upside down although by then I doubt if you are worried about the batteries, just where you can get clean underwear.

1 hour ago, Detling said:

BSS is also used for lumpy water boats with sticks, string and floppy cloths.

Where ?

BWML told me I needed a BSS for out sailing cat to have a berth in Hull marina, when I asked them to point out the legislation requiring a sea-going boat to have a BSS they quickly back-peddled and decided that, that particular requirement in their T&Cs only applied to 'inland marinas'.

2 minutes ago, Detling said:

Plymouth give you a discount if you have one, because basically the BSS is to try to make sure your boat doesn't damage others.

So in what way does vertically restraining batteries help avoid damaging other boats in a marina?

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You always were a comedian!

Why on earth would batteries in that boat need securing against vertical movement?

You can never know what’s going to happen even on what’s a cat D canal, if the boat tipped for one reason or another like in a lock, its best to keep them secure for all directions.   Even if your boat did tip, secure batteries may be least of your worries, but you don’t want a source of potential fire to add to your woes.

1 minute ago, Robbo said:

You can never know what’s going to happen even on what’s a cat D canal, if the boat tipped for one reason or another like in a lock, its best to keep them secure for all directions.   Even if your boat did tip, secure batteries may be least of your worries, but you don’t want a source of potential fire to add to your woes.

Ok point taken.

But can you let the board know how many boat fires occurred per year from boats tipping up and causing fires from slipping batteries, prior to the BSS stemming all the mayhem? 

Much obliged.

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ok point taken.

But can you let the board know how many boat fires occurred per year from boats tipping up and causing fires from slipping batteries, prior to the BSS stemming all the mayhem? 

Much obliged.

Electrical fires in boats are quite common, in the US electrical fires count for more than 50% of fires.  8% are due to batteries.   I’m unable to find UK stats.   

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

And of those, how many are due to inadequately secured batteries?

None probably.

Well it’s not listed in the stats, but good practise is good practise.   Having a high energy source that can create sparks quite easily it makes sense to have secured especially when around other sources of flammable stuff.

1 minute ago, Robbo said:

Well it’s not listed in the stats, but good practise is good practise.   Having a high energy source that can create sparks quite easily it makes sense to have secured especially when around other sources of flammable stuff.

I think we should ban batteries if that dangerous.

Good practise is good practise. 

10 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Remember the batteries must / should be covered so that if any tools are dropped onto them they cannot land on the terminals. (small rubber terminal shrouds alone are not acceptable)

Properly fitted terminal covers are fine: BSS Requirement 3.1.3 - "All metal parts of battery terminals or connections must be insulated or protected by battery covers or terminal covers." Mine have been like that for years, and passed multiple BSS inspections.

15 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I think we should ban batteries if that dangerous.

Good practise is good practise. 

Not dangerous if installed correctly tho, that’s the point.  Boats move, secure things down if you don’t want them to move.   

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

But why vertically? Boats don't turn upside down. 

Sailing boat on a lake may do.   The work boat that capsised on the A&C killing one of the workers did.

Edited by Robbo