Caerleon a Roman Port on the Usk

Heartland

Featured Posts

The recent repeat broadcast of Time Team dealt with the investigating the Roman settlement at Caerleon. They mentioned the port there on the River Usk and there was an implication that the Romans used this port not only for transporting  soldiers, but also for goods and merchandise. It was also suggested that frequent floods handicapped the operations here and may have contributed to the Romans downgrading this establishment.

Caerleon was  on the tidal Usk and remained a navigation with a Quay south of the existing bridge. An earlier quay existed above this bridge but below the earlier Roman Bridge.    

• Greenie 1

I stay here quite regularly at the Priory Hotel, the better rooms look out towards the amphitheatre. That there was a quay by the Hanbury Arms is quite obvious

Elsewhere, still within the village centre more or less, is Tram Road and Tram Lane, I have puzzled about these as I'm not aware of tramways here (Which doesn't mean there weren't any)

• 1 month later...

The tramway closure, I note, was due to the sale to the Pontypool, Caerleon and Newport Railway, whose route incorporated the former canal tramway. The original tramway served tinplate works and connected with the river which was at the limit of normal tides. Goods such as tinplate and wire were evidently shipped down the Usk and into the estuary. The PCN was involved in a court case over the building of their bridge over the Usk, south of Caerleion where traders on the river were concerned that their navigation rights should not be obstructed. The bridge when built comprised some 4 arches of the lattice girder type. Handyside of Derby made the ironwork and Lucas Brothers were the contractors for the railway. There was a sad accident at this bridge during construction when a temporary bridge collapsed throwing workmen into the water. Two drowned. Once the railway was opened trade on the river declined.