Tilehurst - station access

Featured Posts

I'm fairly sure there is access. I recall that when cruising past you can see a set of steps that go up towards the station. However, you can also see boats permanently moored on the bank near those steps. Pick up may not be that simple. 

I think central Reading pick up by Caversham Bridge would be more straight-forward.

Or pick her up at Pangbourne if that is more convenient. There is usually plenty of space to moor in the meadow below the lock, or an even better idea is to moor outside the Swan and have a beer while you are waiting.

Re using Reading.

Yes, paid for moorings on North bank, walk across the new foot/cycle bridge, east along the towpath for maybe 100 yards, Turn right through office buildings, cross road on crossing and you are almost at the station.

I am not sure about the condition of those Tilehurst steps.

Edited by Tony Brooks

Reading main station although where do you moor as now under the "phone in for a tenner overnight" scheme.

Tilehurst, there is access by the old hotel but I suspect you wont get in there as now always moored on.

Pangbourne, easy access from the meadows or a 30 min walk from Beale Park.

Goring, good moorings and a 15 min stroll to the station.

I'm sure there are a couple of bollards immediately downstream of Caversham Bridge, on the south bank. I think they are trip boat bollards but if you synchronise arrival times I'm sure you could stop long enough to pick up Mrs P. 

I don't think I've ever seen a trip boat there and I have used them for long enough to let the dogs off for a pee. 

FYI Mike, although you can see the footbridge across the platforms that isn't where you can get station access. If you carry on up for five minutes you will see another site similar where a old sign and some steps to a hotel are - that is where you would have stopped and then walked up and back ten minutes to the station - it will be moored on anyway so you wouldn't have got in.

Goring is a good choice.

6 minutes ago, Paringa said:

FYI Mike, although you can see the footbridge across the platforms that isn't where you can get station access. If you carry on up for five minutes you will see another site similar where a old sign and some steps to a hotel are - that is where you would have stopped and then walked up and back ten minutes to the station - it will be moored on anyway so you wouldn't have got in.

Goring is a good choice.

Sounds like the steps up to the old Roebuck hotel, pub.

17 minutes ago, Paringa said:

Goring is a good choice.

Ah, I see. Thank you. Yes, moored boats there too.

20180525_110810.jpg