Running Vacuum Cleaner of Inverter

plainsman

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, plainsman said:

I have a Victron 12/1600/70 inverter.  Can I run a 1200 watt corded vacuum cleaner from it (with engine running)  If not 1200, what size can I run?  Help appreciated

I can run a 1300watt off a 12/2000 victron so it probably be okay.  Note that the amps required will be around the 120 mark so you’ll need a good alternator or batteries will take a hit as well.   Another alternative is to get a cordless vac, although you’ll be spending around £200 for half a decent one.

Edited by Robbo

2 minutes ago, plainsman said:

I have a Victron 12/1600/70 inverter.  Can I run a 1200 watt corded vacuum cleaner from it (with engine running)  If not 1200, what size can I run?  Help appreciated

Yes. Unless its a realy naff vacuum.

14 hours ago, plainsman said:

Another confirmation. I've run a 1300W Henry off this size Victron inverter successfully. Again, engine running. I now use a hand held battery operated vac, which recharges over a longer time period at less current, uses less power overall and takes up less space. 

Jen

We currently use a hand held rechargeable vacuum cleaner but since getting the dog have found it is not up to the job.

We borrowed a corded cleaner from a friend last weekend which was far superior so I have ordered one for the boat which should hopefully be arriving at work today. Couldnt find the exact same model but found one that looks identical apart from having a more powerful motor at 835w.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F312039478992

Will see how we get on with it this weekend.

15 hours ago, plainsman said:

It depends on the vacuum cleaner. We have a Mastervolt 2500w inverter but it struggled to start our small Dyson. As the Dyson spun up, the inverter would trip out several times although once running, it was OK.  I didn't think it would be very good for the inverter so we always used the Travelpower instead, and now have a rechargeable Dyson instead. I think it all depends on the type of motor - some have very high start-up current demands.

16 hours ago, plainsman said:

I doubt you can do any harm, so no reason not to plug it in and see what happens.

Presumably 1600W is the max power of the inverter? Does it have a lower continuous running rating? This might be the limiting factor.

32 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

We currently use a hand held rechargeable vacuum cleaner but since getting the dog have found it is not up to the job.

We borrowed a corded cleaner from a friend last weekend which was far superior so I have ordered one for the boat which should hopefully be arriving at work today. Couldnt find the exact same model but found one that looks identical apart from having a more powerful motor at 835w.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F312039478992

Will see how we get on with it this weekend.

Thanks everyone for the info.  I need something with an attachment to get into edges and corners. I'm interested in your approach Naughty Cal as it is small and appears to have the attachment.  Please let us know how you get on.

2 minutes ago, plainsman said:

Thanks everyone for the info.  I need something with an attachment to get into edges and corners. I'm interested in your approach Naughty Cal as it is small and appears to have the attachment.  Please let us know how you get on.

We are heading across to the boat tonight so if it arrives on time I will test it out.

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

It depends on the vacuum cleaner. We have a Mastervolt 2500w inverter but it struggled to start our small Dyson. As the Dyson spun up, the inverter would trip out several times although once running, it was OK.  I didn't think it would be very good for the inverter so we always used the Travelpower instead, and now have a rechargeable Dyson instead. I think it all depends on the type of motor - some have very high start-up current demands.

How do you find charging the batteries as we have a shark cordless thing and charging the batts worries me a bit....

1 hour ago, Richard10002 said:

I doubt you can do any harm, so no reason not to plug it in and see what happens.

Presumably 1600W is the max power of the inverter? Does it have a lower continuous running rating? This might be the limiting factor.

Cont. output power at 25°C (W) - 1300

Cont. output power at 40°C (W) - 1200

Cont. output power at 65°C (W) - 800

Peak power (W) - 3000

24 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

How do you find charging the batteries as we have a shark cordless thing and charging the batts worries me a bit....

We have 450 AH of decent batteries and leave the inverter on 24/7. So I don’t notice any significant drain on the batteries. Something like a vacuum, even though it might use a fair bit of power whilst it’s on, isn’t on for very long (unless you have OCD or something) and so the overall energy or AH demand is not much.

8 hours ago, plainsman said:

The vacuum works brilliantly via our 2kw Silverline Inverter. 

Don t know why we didn't go down this route sooner.

16 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

The vacuum works brilliantly via our 2kw Silverline Inverter. 

Don t know why we didn't go down this route sooner.

Thanks for the feedback.  BTW like the blog

11 minutes ago, plainsman said:

Thanks for the feedback.  BTW like the blog

Thank you.

ETA: the vacuum cleaner is definitely the best one we have bought for the boat so far. £38 well spent.

Edited by Naughty Cal

My old wet n dry vac is a bit cumbersome and mostly been used for wet so filters a bit passed it as well, so I decided to treat myself to a new vac this week.   As I have pets I found this Shark stick vac (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shark-HV390UKT-DuoClean-Cleaner-Flexology/dp/B079YVBVRH) had good reviews and I must say it feels pretty good.  Long cord, good suction, low wattage (for inverter use), light, quiet, easy to empty (it's a fairly small canister tho) and clean the rollers and filters.   This one comes with a pet tool, that is basically a mini motorised roller for furnishings.     It's a little more expensive than NC's suggestion at nearly £200, but if your looking for something as small but also handy for doing floor work then it ideal. 

A good review..

Edited by Robbo