Not a story CRT would like broadcast....

Jennifer McM

Featured Posts

Cyclists and pedestrians are being urged to avoid a dangerous stretch of canal tow path after frightening footage of an armed masked man with a weapon jumping out on a rider emerged. 

Birmingham residents have warned each other against walking and cycling along the canal in Tyseley, with one even branding the path as 'bandit country'. 

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/cyclists-warned-over-bandit-country-14691503

Cameras and mobile phones can be used as a great deterrent 

In many ways cyclists and pedestrians are much more vulnerable than boaters, and maybe some of them don't have a suitable "canal forum" to keep them informed of dangers ? . Boaters have always regarded this as a high risk area and a place not to stop. Accepted wisdom is no stopping after Catherine de Barnes tand a run straight into Birmingham centre with a stop only at Camp Hill if essential.

I suspect CaRT really don't care about this sort of thing and will just say its a police matter. They are keen to encourage people to visit the canal but not really interested in looking after them.

.............Dave

1 minute ago, dmr said:

In many ways cyclists and pedestrians are much more vulnerable than boaters, and maybe some of them don't have a suitable "canal forum" to keep them informed of dangers ? . Boaters have always regarded this as a high risk area and a place not to stop. Accepted wisdom is no stopping after Catherine de Barnes tand a run straight into Birmingham centre with a stop only at Camp Hill if essential.

I suspect CaRT really don't care about this sort of thing and will just say its a police matter. They are keen to encourage people to visit the canal but not really interested in looking after them.

.............Dave

I agree, it's a huge slogan to live up too  #lifesbetterbywater

3 minutes ago, dmr said:

.............Dave

Surely it is a police matter!   CRT don't have the power to do anything about the offender, the police on the other hand can arrest etc.

• Greenie 2

9 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

I agree, it's a huge slogan to live up too  #lifesbetterbywater

In this case it could turn out that lifesshorterbywater.

But if undesirables really are rife on that stretch, are the police not patrolling it? I remember seeing pairs of police on bikes (fast modern bikes rather than the traditional plod push-bikes) shuttling up and down a towpath in Wolverhampton a few years ago.

1 minute ago, Athy said:

In this case it could turn out that lifesshorterbywater.

But if undesirables really are rife on that stretch, are the police not patrolling it? I remember seeing pairs of police on bikes (fast modern bikes rather than the traditional plod push-bikes) shuttling up and down a towpath in Wolverhampton a few years ago.

We made friends with an 'older' gentleman, an ex policeman, last winter when we were on the Coventry. He still cycles the towpaths, asking questions, telling warning tales, keeping an eye on anything unusual and what boats are about. In fact he's still doing his 'community' job. He's a mine of local information, including warnings. Some might say he's a busybody, but I wouldn't he was really reassuring. It is a shame the old fashioned copper isn't still patrolling on his bike.

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I think it was a scam, probably tried to frighten a mate and this guy came along first, just look at the way he legged it rather than swiping him off the bike

I love your optimism, I suspect it's misplaced even naïve, but at least you're not likely to suffer heart attacks. 

masked gang = 2 teens

with a bat = stick

some lovely terms in that story, miscreants, undesireables :rolleyes:

IMO the kid was never going to hit him, you can see he's just faking a swing. he just wanted a reaction, which he got, that's why they then ran off.

more telling is the lack of audio so you can't tell what was said.

I don't doubt its a rough area, i'm just not convinced by that footage, smells staged to me