Down the southern Grand Union (a new route for us)

Featured Posts

I've read that long ago it was the custom not to bother closing gates when leaving a lock, but as Lily Rose says the general rule now from CRT (and other navigation authorities too as far as I am aware) is to close all gates and paddles behind you.

There are indeed rare exceptions, which will all have a notice at the lock instructing you what to do. Indeed one that comes to mind is on the lower Grand Union at Cowroast, where there's a notice asking that the lock be left empty after use, with a bottom paddle open if I recall correctly, because if it's full for a long time water seeps through its wall and into the basement of the lock cottage.

9 hours ago, Peter X said:

There are indeed rare exceptions, which will all have a notice at the lock instructing you what to do. Indeed one that comes to mind is on the lower Grand Union at Cowroast, where there's a notice asking that the lock be left empty after use, with a bottom paddle open if I recall correctly, because if it's full for a long time water seeps through its wall and into the basement of the lock cottage.

Actually, after that being the situation for over 50 years, Cow Roast lock has finally been grouted, and the requirement to leave the lock empty has been withdrwan.

That said there are maybe 12 to 15 other locks on the GU either South of Cow Roast, or on the Aylesbury Arm, where the requirement still exists.  Usually, (but not exclusively) it is to do with leakage through lock walls.

Irritatingly some still both display a notice about leaving empty and a bottom paddle drawn, whilst also having the standard notice about leaving all gates and paddles closed on leaving the lock :banghead:

On 05/08/2018 at 00:32, Peter X said:

I've read that long ago it was the custom not to bother closing gates when leaving a lock, but as Lily Rose says the general rule now from CRT (and other navigation authorities too as far as I am aware) is to close all gates and paddles behind you.

On River Wey you are instructed to leave both gates open as you leave.

Very liberating.  For some reason - if locks set against you, I don't mind closing gates and filling a lock up but having to get off and close gates when you leave is a pain.

Edited by mark99

11 hours ago, mark99 said:

On River Wey you are instructed to leave both gates open as you leave.

Very liberating.  For some reason - if locks set against you, I don't mind closing gates and filling a lock up but having to get off and close gates when you leave is a pain.

Another reason why the Wey is sooooooper.