Fire on Ariel

johnmck

Featured Posts

Saw this today on Facebook.

Just to let you all know, Ariel has suffered a serious fire and will be out of commission until further notice.
We are hoping to arrange alternative transport to keep our services in operation and we will let you know as soon as the plans are firm.
As you can imagine, this is extremely distressing and we appreciate your patience and value your continued support.
We will keep everyone updated, thanks.

Chin up Liam.

I could find no reference to this event on Facebook. Just for those who are unaware, 'Ariel' is a coal boat operating in the North-West. Let's hope that she's speedily repaired and returned to service.

6 minutes ago, johnmck said:

On the Longford canal services FB page, dated 22/05.

Apologies for the spelling error in Ariel.

I hadn't noticed (it's still early), but have now amended it.

I went to Facebook and typed "Ariel boat fire" in the search box, but got only references to a fire in the Chicago area.

39 minutes ago, MJG said:

As is Kerry......

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/profile/6589-kez/

Must be fairly devastating for them - how very sad, but at least no reports of anybody hurt.

Just giving this a nudge to the top.

Nice to see the response on justgiving has rapidly surpassed the modest request. 

One of the joys of boating is hearing the sound of an approaching fuel boat in the mist of winter. Hope you soon get back on your feet again. 

Edited by reg

Liam was one of the first folk to respond with kind words when my boat was destroyed by fire many years ago.

So sad that you have lost precious things but relieved that nobody was hurt.

I hope repairs are swift and hassle free.

3 hours ago, RLWP said:

If you need anything Lister, let us know

Thanks Richard. Although not fully investigated yet it appears the engine and gearbox have managed to survive the fire pretty well, albeit covered in a layer of soot!

Hopefully one day I can give you a shout regarding the gearbox which we spoke about some time ago.

• Greenie 1

The photos on Facebook look horrific. I'm just so glad nobody was hurt.

I see that Aeriel has a door through from back cabin to engine room, so at least there are two routes out when something like this happens. Those of us with back cabins with only one exit, and that right next to the stove, will be wondering if there are any lessons we can learn to improve our own safety.

The boat was rebuilt without the 'ole through from the back cabin to the engine room. Practicality meant that this was put in place a few years ago.

It's a double edged sword as the doorway through meant that the fire/heat/smoke was able to penetrate through to the engine room which resulted in melted electrics and damaged tools, coats etc. But a small price to pay if it gives anybody in the cabin a second route out.

Fortunately I wasn't on the boat at the time, but close enough to run back when the alarm was raised. Tommy was with me on the bank and apart from a few sacrificial burns to my forearms whilst extinguishing the fire, everybody is fine.

To try to get something positive out of this....

You were off the boat and had a serious stove/backcabin fire, I assume any fire extinguishers were in the boat, so how did you manage to successfully tackle the fire? Hopefully we can all learn a lot from this as I have often pondered what I would do in this situation.

Your boat was looking very good on the Weaver recently so hope you can get back up and boating before too long.

................Dave

After realising what was happening I ran back from the yard office where I was having a brew and a chat and grabbed a bucket from the shed and in a frenzied manner hurled several buckets of canal water in through the open stern doors.

The yard manager was hot on my tail and in a more reasoned frame of mind grabbed a hose pipe from the adjacent mooring and took over with extinguishing.

Fire extinguishers are located in the cabin and one in the engine room but with the heat and smoke/fumes made it impossible and completely stupid to even try and reach them.

Sorry to hear of your problem hope that repairs can be completed to enable you to return to trading Could I ask how if you know how the fire started  the reason I ask is my ex "Josher Lily" suffered a bad cabin fire due to over flowing/leaking oil cabin lamp  It's taking a while to repair

• 11 months later...
On 26/05/2018 at 13:53, Liam said:

After realising what was happening I ran back from the yard office where I was having a brew and a chat and grabbed a bucket from the shed and in a frenzied manner hurled several buckets of canal water in through the open stern doors.

The yard manager was hot on my tail and in a more reasoned frame of mind grabbed a hose pipe from the adjacent mooring and took over with extinguishing.

Fire extinguishers are located in the cabin and one in the engine room but with the heat and smoke/fumes made it impossible and completely stupid to even try and reach them.

After a sarky comment on another thread, I felt obliged to resuscitate this one ...

The fire extinguishers on a boat are there for one reason only - so the people can get off the burning boat!  That's it, end of!

I was so sorry to see Ariel burn, but the boat can be refurbished with another interesting chapter in her history.  The people are harder to replace ...

10 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

After a sarky comment on another thread, I felt obliged to resuscitate this one ...

The fire extinguishers on a boat are there for one reason only - so the people can get off the burning boat!  That's it, end of!

I was so sorry to see Ariel burn, but the boat can be refurbished with another interesting chapter in her history.  The people are harder to replace ...

While totally agreeing with the sprit of what you say; in fact people are easy to replace. In fact, right now more spares are being made than are likely to be needed except in the most unlikely of circumstances.

53 minutes ago, frahkn said:

While totally agreeing with the sprit of what you say; in fact people are easy to replace. In fact, right now more spares are being made than are likely to be needed except in the most unlikely of circumstances.

Totally wrong, the hours required to upbring and train a useful adult human is significantly greater than pretty much all manufactured items