Eco logs.....

Featured Posts

Is anybody using these?

We have had a cold spell today so fired up the stove. We had used up our last wood delivery so I called on an emergency supply of eco/heat logs bought from b&m during the very cold snap in winter and I have to concede I am impressed. They seem to burn for ages and the heat output seems excellent. They are allegedly made up from surplus compressed/formed sawdust so no trees are harmed in producing them.

I'm not talking about the single type you see in supermarkets but these are more 'log like' in appearance and are used like traditional logs.

Ed https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/blazers-fuel-logs-295744

I was impressed tbh and could seek them out in bulk quantities for next winter if I can find a local supplier.

Thoughts?

Edited by MJG

5 hours ago, MJG said:

Is anybody using these?

We have had a cold spell today so fired up the stove. We had used up our last wood delivery so I called on an emergency supply of eco/heat logs bought from b&m during the very cold snap in winter and I have to concede I am impressed. They seem to burn for ages and the heat output seems excellent. They are allegedly made up from surplus compressed/formed sawdust so no trees are harmed in producing them.

I'm not talking about the single type you see in supermarkets but these are more 'log like' in appearance and are used like traditional logs.

Ed https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/blazers-fuel-logs-295744

I was impressed tbh and could seek them out in bulk quantities for next winter if I can find a local supplier.

Thoughts?

Just like anything it's about quality and how they are produced, find a type that you like and stick with it, oh and store dry, dont let them get wet at all

Used them a lot over winter, great when broken in half for lighting the fire and getting some heat rapidly. Don't see them as a replacement for coal though as you can't really use them to keep a slow fire in over might. 

Main advantage I found was that I could keep a supply in the cabin as very little dirt or mess from them. 

As tree monkey said above don't let them get wet or even damp as they can soon turn to dust. 

I did consider getting a pallet of them last year but was slightly put of by stories of them being delivered in a broken down state, most likely due to bring stored in damp conditions. 

Anyway where is this cold spell?  I've got my cooling fan running. 

9 minutes ago, reg said:

Used them a lot over winter, great when broken in half for lighting the fire and getting some heat rapidly. Don't see them as a replacement for coal though as you can't really use them to keep a slow fire in over might. 

Main advantage I found was that I could keep a supply in the cabin as very little dirt or mess from them. 

As tree monkey said above don't let them get wet or even damp as they can soon turn to dust. 

I did consider getting a pallet of them last year but was slightly put of by stories of them being delivered in a broken down state, most likely due to bring stored in damp conditions. 

Anyway where is this cold spell?  I've got my cooling fan running. 

Unfortunately yesterday up here on the North East coast we are or were yesterday getting a bit of a cold blast from the East, it's a bit warmer today though so the stove is not lit yet. I should have added yes as a supplement to burning smokeless fuel which is what we do. We normally burn both on the stove at the same time. Bed of smokeless with the occasional log thrown on works well for us.

I was a little surprised by how much they expand after igniting but if you allow for this it's not a problem.

Edited by MJG

1 minute ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Are these the logs with the little fan on top to help distribute the heat? Have you done a double blind experiment with ordinary logs to see if the fan has any effect?

Jen

No. But the thermometer on the flue would indicate they give out more heat than burning ordinary logs.

?

12 minutes ago, MJG said:

I was a little surprised by how much they expand after igniting but if you allow for this it's not a problem

Yep found that also, always break them into a least 2 pieces now. 

I have used the ones from Home Bargains,the ones wrapped in the paper that you light.At 90p each they light quickly and burn for about five hours if you turn the air control down.They are excellent for a quick warm on chilly mornings.

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Furness said:

I have used the ones from Home Bargains,the ones wrapped in the paper that you light.At 90p each they light quickly and burn for about five hours if you turn the air control down.They are excellent for a quick warm on chilly mornings.

I've occasionally used them as an emergency firelighter when I've been away from the boat for a weekend, no faff and a quick hit of heat

3 hours ago, reg said:

Yep found that also, always break them into a least 2 pieces now. 

I do break them in half and lay them side by side with a firelighter in the middle. Have used these logs for years. Now B&M's has a store next to rivergate in Peterborough. It's move them and pack the old gas lock to the top.    

3 hours ago, Furness said:

I do use them in the summer when I want to cook.