Colwick Marina - Nottingham

Jan13

Featured Posts

Hello! We've just bought our first boat (a small cruiser) and we are moored on the Trent. We are just beginning to explore and I fancied a trip to Nottingham - possibly stopping overnight at Holme Pierpoint (into paddlesports as well.) I fancied visiting Colwick Country Park but after a great deal of looking I can't see any evidence of visitor moorings here nor any way to actually get across the river if tied up on the south bank.

Is it just impossible to get to the other bank near here - or am I missing something? I'd be really grateful if anyone knows the area and could provide some advice. Thanks

One of the 'problems' with being on a river is the limited availability of moorings (unless you want to risk 'wild-mooring' and just ground yourself on the bank-side)

Around that area you only have the moorings at the lock (wrong side of the river for the park) or you can actually go into the marina and pay for overnight visitors mooring (£21 per night)

Marina

Our popular marina* has moorings for up to 224 craft and is managed by the wardens on site. Mooring prices are based on a "per metre" length charge and we offer a range of mooring terms. Mooring currently costs £119.50 per meter.

Colwick park marinaMarina Facilities

• Waste disposal facilities
  • Pump out
  • Slippage
  • Toilets
  • Gated entrance with key access for boat owners for added security

*Please note the Marina is only accessible to boat owners.

The marina is run by Nottingham council in conjunction with the Park - contact details here :

https://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/events-markets-parks-and-museums/parks-and-open-spaces/find-your-local-park/colwick-country-park/#marina

You do not need to have a boat licence to be in Colwick Marina

Edited by Alan de Enfield

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

you can actually go into the marina and pay for overnight visitors mooring (£21 per night)

Which is bit steep considering there is no shore power .

From the visitor Moorings at Holme lock we have been over to the marina by dinghy but as said there is nowhere to moor up, legally, for a short visit. 

8 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

I personally wouldn't bother with Colwick Marina, no shore power and the facilities are a long walk from the visitors moorings.

It is a nice enough walk around Holme Pierpoint. Moor there for free instead.

But as the OP wants to visit the country park, mooring at the Holme Pierrepont (NOTE SPELLING) lock is not much use (unless he has a tender behind)

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But as the OP wants to visit the country park, mooring at the Holme Pierrepont (NOTE SPELLING) lock is not much use (unless he has a tender behind)

My phone refused point blank to type Pierrepont :)

On the PC now so no such problems.

£21 for a walk in the park seems a bit steep.

Edited by Naughty Cal

10 hours ago, Jan13 said:

Hello! We've just bought our first boat (a small cruiser) and we are moored on the Trent. We are just beginning to explore and I fancied a trip to Nottingham - possibly stopping overnight at Holme Pierpoint (into paddlesports as well.) I fancied visiting Colwick Country Park but after a great deal of looking I can't see any evidence of visitor moorings here nor any way to actually get across the river if tied up on the south bank.

Is it just impossible to get to the other bank near here - or am I missing something? I'd be really grateful if anyone knows the area and could provide some advice. Thanks

Other posters have covered it. The only safe way to do it is in the marina. HOWEVER I know that stretch so well it is for ever engraved in my mind and there are at least three points along the side of the park where you will safely get a small yoghurt pot alongside. One has a level concrete edge. Just bimble along steadily and keep an eye open they are all before the Nottingham Princess new moorings and well before the lousy great block of flats or TS Orion so along the wooded bit after the marina entrance.

Right - many thanks for all the info. I’ve looked at the website and must admit I can’t see any mention of overnight fees.

However, I think the conclusion is that Holme Pierrepont is the better solution.

Trouble is that Mrs J will just think I’m forcing her to indulge my kayaking hobby as well as the boating!!!

Cheers!

Our home mooring for Bee (Real boat made from GRP, proper engines and OK for the choppy stuff...lol ) is in colwick marina at the moment until we can move her to a proper marina like Fardon. Colwick is a bit like Tortuga in the pirates of the caribbean movies....anything goes. 

I personally would just go in and moor up anywhere as you won't see any of the Rangers and I haven't seen any visitors moorings.

The only problem is the gate to the park is locked so you will have to ask someone to let you out and in.  The facilities aren't the best either, the toilet block is outside of the locked gate and is the basically a public toilet open to park users.

8 minutes ago, BeetBee said:

Our home mooring for Bee (Real boat made from GRP, proper engines and OK for the choppy stuff...lol ) is in colwick marina at the moment until we can move her to a proper marina like Fardon. Colwick is a bit like Tortuga in the pirates of the caribbean movies....anything goes. 

I personally would just go in and moor up anywhere as you won't see any of the Rangers and I haven't seen any visitors moorings.

The only problem is the gate to the park is locked so you will have to ask someone to let you out and in.  The facilities aren't the best either, the toilet block is outside of the locked gate and is the basically a public toilet open to park users.

Theres a bloody good slip there though :D

4 hours ago, BeetBee said:

The Holme lock side has the C&RT toilet at the lock plus the water sports centre facilities. Sounds much better.

We did receive some dissapproving  looks when we went into Colwick by dinghy.

Ha ha! Really like the sound of hoisting the Jolly Roger and sailing into the Marina with my beard on fire! (If I had one....) 

However, the CRT moorings on the south bank are sounding more attractive with every post!

30 minutes ago, Jan13 said:

Ha ha! Really like the sound of hoisting the Jolly Roger and sailing into the Marina with my beard on fire! (If I had one....) 

However, the CRT moorings on the south bank are sounding more attractive with every post!

Having used both the CRT moorings are the much better prospect. We will be using them again when we head up that way in about six weeks time.

• 4 months later...