8mm cotton rope help

Jrtm

Featured Posts

hi guys I'm sure someone will know but is there an easy way to stop 8mm 3 strand rope untwisting while trying to back splice and eye splice the ends?

I'm in the process of replacing all my cloth ropes as there pretty much had it there all starting to split as degrade so have got some 8mm twisted cotton rope if it's anything like me 20mm middle lines its going to try and untwist while doing the eyes and ends.

15 minutes ago, dmr said:

or even masking tape......works very well

.............Dave

It does but the handy thing with insulation tape is, if a novice, three different colours of tape helps to keep the tails in sequence.

dont think I made it clear. lol

i always insulate the ends and give it a tail but the rope is inclined to untwist between the insulation and the main rope. the 3 indervidual strands try to untwist giving me lots of indervidual bits of cotton but still twisted at the end where its insulated)

hope this makes more sence

5 minutes ago, billybobbooth said:

dont think I made it clear. lol

i always insulate the ends and give it a tail but the rope is inclined to untwist between the insulation and the main rope. the 3 indervidual strands try to untwist giving me lots of indervidual bits of cotton but still twisted at the end where its insulated)

hope this makes more sence

If I’ve understood you correctly I found that I had to twist each tail ‘tighter’ as I passed it through the splice, and keep doing that. 

3 minutes ago, WotEver said:

If I’ve understood you correctly I found that I had to twist each tail ‘tighter’ as I passed it through the splice, and keep doing that. 

yes this was what I was trying to avoid as its a pain!

19 minutes ago, NB Esk said:

It does but the handy thing with insulation tape is, if a novice, three different colours of tape helps to keep the tails in sequence.

Ah yes, three phase splicing ????

...............Dave

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, billybobbooth said:

hi guys I'm sure someone will know but is there an easy way to stop 8mm 3 strand rope untwisting while trying to back splice and eye splice the ends?

I'm in the process of replacing all my cloth ropes as there pretty much had it there all starting to split as degrade so have got some 8mm twisted cotton rope if it's anything like me 20mm middle lines its going to try and untwist while doing the eyes and ends.

Learn how to do a common whipping and/or learn how to tie a constrictor knot. Both very useful. You can also save time, and some small amount of rope by not back splicing. Learn how to whip the end instead. In my view back splices are the work of the devil!!!!!?

Howard

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, howardang said:

Learn how to do a common whipping and/or learn how to tie a constrictor knot. Both very useful. You can also save time, and some small amount of rope by not back splicing. Learn how to whip the end instead. In my view back splices are the work of the devil!!!!!?

Howard

i have to splice it as ive got to at least put in an eye splice. with my cheating system for the clothes ill need to eye splice both ends.

as i cant be assed with forever adjusting my rope im going to be using 2 strong springs on each string to keep the tension + it saves me alot of time every time I want to get inside the hold which i do on nearly a weekly basis.

I used to use cotton rope but found that it didn't wear very well.  I used to back-splice all the ends, but these were just a bit too fat to go through the eyelets easily.

I've since gone over to synthetic cotton rope which is pretty well indistinguisable from the geniune article.  It has the great advantage of your being able to seal it with heat, making a very neat, unfrayable end.  (I simply wrap a piece of masking tape round the end of the rope and light it with a match. The masking tape prevents the rope from discolouring and the flame seals the rope).

When it comes to keeping the rope in pristine condition, I dunk it each year in very diluted white emulsion paint.  It comes up like new.

Note this synthetic cotton rope is not the same as the horrible shiny white propylene stuff.

https://www.cheaprope.co.uk/synthetic-cotton-rope-p-797.html

Here's an example of some ropework I did recently for the ellum.  You can just see the sealed end on one of the knots.

20180426_111048 (1).jpg

Edited by koukouvagia
  • Greenie 2

3 hours ago, koukouvagia said:

I used to use cotton rope but found that it didn't wear very well.  I used to back-splice all the ends, but these were just a bit too fat to go through the eyelets easily.

I've since gone over to synthetic cotton rope which is pretty well indistinguisable from the geniune article.  It has the great advantage of your being able to seal it with heat, making a very neat, unfrayable end.  (I simply wrap a piece of masking tape round the end of the rope and light it with a match. The masking tape prevents the rope from discolouring and the flame seals the rope).

When it comes to keeping the rope in pristine condition, I dunk it each year in very diluted white emulsion paint.  It comes up like new.

Note this synthetic cotton rope is not the same as the horrible shiny white propylene stuff.

https://www.cheaprope.co.uk/synthetic-cotton-rope-p-797.html

Here's an example of some ropework I did recently for the ellum.  You can just see the sealed end on one of the knots.

20180426_111048 (1).jpg

For a neat finish, whilst hot drop it on the path and roll ithe end under your shoe.

21 hours ago, howardang said:

Howard

The weighted ball on the end of a heaving line is called a "monkey's fist".  A deck store keeper that I sailed with called a backsplice a "dog's cock".  one of the problems with the DC is that it thickens the end of the rope so you can't pass it through a pulley block.  Use a west country whipping.  It's really secure.

N