Vetus vacuflush

Timx

Featured Posts

Has anyone changed the filter on a Vetus vacu flush toilet. .? I have bought at a gamble , the innards of the filter, three circular , I presume charcoal , filter innards.£26. I see on line there is only two types large and small, so I bought the larger.

i haven't even looked at what I am about to do, as previous owner told me it's a smelly job, and should be done once a year,I haven't touched it for two years, but it is getting smelly after a week, so should be done.

can anyone give me any tips or advice before I start having a look, it's at back of wardrobe, where I have to unscrew panels to get at it. I would rather do it in one go, rather than look and replace etc. 

I am not great at diy but will have a go.

i bought the innards, should I have bought a new filter instead?

is there any tips to make the job easier

is there any tools I require apart from a screwdriver.

do I need to turn anything off electrically?

any precautions I should do apart from wearing gloves?

fellah at boat yard told me to unscrew the fitting on out side as well and give that a wash, is that all I need to do?

Thanks for any advice.

OK here's my experience.

It will smell when you open the lid. What I do is wear a dust mask impregnated with obus oil or vicks vapour rub. 

The lid may well be stuck firmly on after two years. A large oil filter remover like a boa should release it.

After two years the filters will in all probability have disintegrated, so you will not be pulling out individual discs but broken up carbon dust (put it straight into a sealable bag (It will stinK)

Get all the old filter material out and the new disks will push in. They do need to be pushed firmly down to get them to fit,

Grease the lid seal with vasaline so next time the lid is easier to remove.

Finally, you can buy no smell filter cans now which are much easier to replace than the disks ( same thing really but in a plastic container and has silica gel in it to absorb moisture.)

Its not difficult but it is a smelly job without the face mask and something on it to mask the smell

Good luck ( I hate the job and always do it when my better half and dog are off the boat)

• Happy 1

1 minute ago, Timx said:

Wow that's fantastic advice, I will do as you say, Thanks so much, really looking forward to it lol. But another bit of boat to explore. Thanks again.

you're welcome. The no smell cans I refereed to are available here (cheapest I can find them)

https://www.abcstore.co.uk/Replacement-elements-for-no-smell-filters__p-617.aspx

• Happy 1

The no smell filter cans, sound a better alternative, have you a link to that. I can only see new filters, or is that what you mean.I suppose that would be less smelly a job ?.

Hmm £18 for replacement filter ,rather than £26 for the innards filter replacement., Thanks for advice, now in a quandary, wether to try to replace or just buy a cheaper screw on device. I will look in a couple of days when not boat moving.

Ahh just read your reply, thank you.hmm why are they selling filter innards kits, great advice, I will forgo trying to replace the inner bits then and just buy the new filter which is cheaper, wow amazing, thanks for your help

9 hours ago, Bricksh said:

I used my filter discs first then went for the cans. If you have the discs no point wasting them

I see on that site there is two types of filter, NFSCAN and carbon filter element, which is best to buy ?

9 minutes ago, Timx said:

I see on that site there is two types of filter, NFSCAN and carbon filter element, which is best to buy ?

The filter element is what you have now ie the discs. Before you order you need to check the size as both the elements and cans are in two different sizes

• Happy 1

A boater with a vacu-flush had a couple of American friends staying with them, the 'lady' American was of normal American proportions and on her first trip to the toilet suffered an embarrassing event.

The American woman used the toilet, but pushed the flush button before standing up, she soon realised that the powerful vacuum had sealed her to the toilet seat, & she was so firmly sucked-onto the toilet that they had to divert to a C&RT maintenance yard to get an engineer to free her.

If you think this is a fictional story, you may be correct - just try a google search for a C&RT Maintenance Yard !!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

A boater with a vacu-flush had a couple of American friends staying with them, the 'lady' American was of normal American proportions and on her first trip to the toilet suffered an embarrassing event.

The American woman used the toilet, but pushed the flush button before standing up, she soon realised that the powerful vacuum had sealed her to the toilet seat, & she was so firmly sucked-onto the toilet that they had to divert to a C&RT maintenance yard to get an engineer to free her.

Was she from VancHoover?

• Greenie 1

On 22/05/2018 at 20:36, Mike Hurley said:

Throw the whole thing in a skip and buy a cassette toilet.?

I`m of the belief that people on boats with a cassette toilet are in some way masochistic or have a poor sense of smell. I weigh the expense of pump out against a well aerated/filtered  and maintained holding tank/sanitary system every time. Obviously to me as a leisure boater looking for pleasure then I`ve a different view to many. 

• Greenie 1