HuddersfieldNarrow

colmac

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Neil2 said:

The Shropshire Union and the Kennet & Avon are just as frustrating as regards moorings, come to think of it there are more than a few lock landings on the Shroppie that aren't even ornamental.

No.

I beg to differ.

We haven't travelled the K&A but we are quite familiar with the Shroppie and have never had a problem there.

Edited by Victor Vectis
Spellin' & stuff

2 hours ago, rgreg said:

Yes, this is what I also suggested in post 11 but I'm not sure whether the OP plans to cross the L&L instead from Liverpool as he didn't say. We did the Rochdale last year and it is simply stunning, as are all the Pennine canals.

The plan is to go from Liverpool up The L&L to Leeds then the Aire and Calder to the HN so, if I may go off on a tangent, can anyone offer any advice on mooring in or outside Leeds and any info on the Aire and Calder. We are Stourport based with 21 yrs experience on the canals, however we have very little experience in this part of the world. We are retired so have no time constraints. Thank you.

48 minutes ago, colmac said:

The plan is to go from Liverpool up The L&L to Leeds then the Aire and Calder to the HN so, if I may go off on a tangent, can anyone offer any advice on mooring in or outside Leeds and any info on the Aire and Calder. We are Stourport based with 21 yrs experience on the canals, however we have very little experience in this part of the world. We are retired so have no time constraints. Thank you.

Moorings...

Leeds - Granary Wharf (better than Clarence/Leeds Dock), plus 2weeks (not on the pontoons)

A&C - Woodlesford, Stanley Ferry. (Woodlesford Lock is quite nice, and worth exploring here) Stanley Ferry is about 6hrs cruise away from Woodlesford nice place to moor and has pub.- Remember to turn right at castleford flood lock, it’s easy to just go straight on and you’ll then be heading for the weir!

L&L, Moorings n places; Gargrave, Skipton, Kildwick, Bingley (top of 5 rise), Saltaire, Rodley (advice is not to moor between Rodley and Leeds, and it’s around 5-6hrs cruise, so Rodley is a good stop, if not Rodley, Apperley Bridge as it’s only another hour.).  If sun is shining, expect youths swimming in the locks outside Leeds on the L&L, so pick a school day to do that bit :)

If you have time, go to Selby, it’s only a day travel from Woodlesford and it’s a lovely canal (area, hmmmm).  The river part after Castleford Cut towards knottingley is also very nice.

Edited by Robbo

6 hours ago, captain birdseye said:

what seems to limit the Huddersfield's through traffic is the number of boats that can pass through the tunnel each day with only passage available three times a week

That isn't a limiting factor (yet).  True, the limit is 9 boats each way per week, but it's not often I've been part of a full complement, and sometimes the only one.

More limiting is its remoteness from the busy parts of the system, and people being put off by stories propagated by people who are horrified to meet situations where a bit of ingenuity or extra effort is required.

• Greenie 3

19 hours ago, Señor Chris said:

That's the best thing about the HNC - keeps the poor delicate hordes away.

I've heard quite a few people say "never again" after traversing the HNC,but,a can of WD 40 the use of the "Spanish Windlass"and perhaps a bottle of hydraulic oil [for the hydraulic paddles] and you minimise the chance of a stoppage.[Hope no one from CRT reads this]

As Mac says nine boats each way a week through Standedge isn't really limiting because it is not intensively used.[At present]

19 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

But on the other hand the boats that it needs won’t be attracted. 

Much as I love the HNC I am quite aware of it's shortcomings,but I do think that the more it is used,it is more likely to be better maintained.

15 minutes ago, Furness said:

I've heard quite a few people say "never again" ....

Afraid I've been one of those people! Last year when we went on the HN was our first year of living afloat, and were pretty much novices. But after reading some of the comments in this thread, we might just have a go at it again. We learnt a lot.

21 hours ago, colmac said:

As regards Leeds, we like to moor on the offside just above office lock if there is room.  Most folk assume these are permanent/private moorings but they are for visitors.  There is a locked gate for access.  It is a bit noisy with the railway nearby but it is a city centre location after all.

As Robbo says most folk would not moor between Rodley and Leeds and it is best done on a weekday and set off early.  Having said that we have done this stretch when there have been kids about and I don't think it deserves the reputation it seems to have acquired.  

The Aire & Calder is a volatile river so keep an eye on the general weather forecast, they won't let you on if the levels are too high but it can mess up your schedule if you get held up.  Some of the locks are enormous.  We like the visitor moorings at Lemonroyd you also have overnight marina moorings there.

You presumably know you need a handspike for the Calder & Hebble locks or a bit of 3x2.  

2 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

As regards Leeds, we like to moor on the offside just above office lock if there is room.  Most folk assume these are permanent/private moorings but they are for visitors.  There is a locked gate for access.  It is a bit noisy with the railway nearby but it is a city centre location after all.

As Robbo says most folk would not moor between Rodley and Leeds and it is best done on a weekday and set off early.  Having said that we have done this stretch when there have been kids about and I don't think it deserves the reputation it seems to have acquired.  

The Aire & Calder is a volatile river so keep an eye on the general weather forecast, they won't let you on if the levels are too high but it can mess up your schedule if you get held up.  Some of the locks are enormous.  We like the visitor moorings at Lemonroyd you also have overnight marina moorings there.

You presumably know you need a handspike for the Calder & Hebble locks or a bit of 3x2.  

With the C&H, I don’t think you need them from wakefield to Huddersfield broad, it’s more after Brighouse - I may be wrong tho. 

Just now, Robbo said:

With the C&H, I don’t think you need them from wakefield to Huddersfield broad, it’s more after Brighouse - I may be wrong tho. 

I'm sure you do need a handspike to get to Cooper Bridge though I can't remember how many locks require it.

14 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

I'm sure you do need a handspike to get to Cooper Bridge though I can't remember how many locks require it.

More info on the spike; http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/calder/handspike.htm

i think only two locks require it and they I believe after Huddersfield broad - don’t quote me if I’m wrong tho as it’s been along time since I’ve done that stretch.

22 minutes ago, Robbo said:

More info on the spike; http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/calder/handspike.htm

i think only two locks require it and they I believe after Huddersfield broad - don’t quote me if I’m wrong tho as it’s been along time since I’ve done that stretch.

Hmmm..... I'm doubting my own memory now but I am certain we used a handspike on several of the locks East of Cooper bridge, the old Waterscape guide I have does state "handspike required" for a number of these locks but I am wondering if the locks can be filled, albeit slowly, without the spike.  I still think it's advisable to have one.

1 hour ago, Neil2 said:

Travelling east to west on the C&H, the first lock needing a hanspike is Thornes Lock just outside Wakefield.  We bought a hardwood pick axe handle from a hardware shop for £6.50 which worked perfectly as a handspike.

59 minutes ago, Furness said:

Aspley Marina Huddersfield sell these hardwood handspikes,at £18 a time they are a bit dear,but they are decent quality. 

Can't remember where we got ours from but I have written on it in clear permanently marked letters: "This is NOT firewood.  Do not burn it."

N

We'd just gone through the tunnel and moored up, already moored was a boat going into the tunnel, who'd come from the Huddersfield Broad, he gave us his spike which was a piece of wood taken from a pallet. Glad he did because we had no idea we needed one ?

On 24/05/2018 at 18:35, Robbo said:

Rodley (advice is not to moor between Rodley and Leeds, and it’s around 5-6hrs cruise, so Rodley is a good stop,  

Remember the locks have limited opening hours, nearly caught me out as I forgot coming out of Leeds, luckily a CRT guy mentioned it when I said we were stopping at the museum for a couple of hours, we couldn't stop any  longer as they lock the staircases 

Edited by ditchcrawler

9 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Remember the locks have limited opening hours, nearly caught me out as I forgot coming out of Leeds, luckily a CRT guy mentioned it when I said we were stopping at the museum for a couple of hours, we couldn't stop any  longer as they lock the staircases 

Yes, and these were manned last year when we went through. A few kids were swimming in the one of the locks (and it wasn't even a warm day!) but they were no bother. 

On 25/05/2018 at 16:48, Neil2 said:

Hmmm..... I'm doubting my own memory now but I am certain we used a handspike on several of the locks East of Cooper bridge, the old Waterscape guide I have does state "handspike required" for a number of these locks but I am wondering if the locks can be filled, albeit slowly, without the spike.  I still think it's advisable to have one.

We are at Brighouse currently and have needed to use handspikes coming up from Wakefield.  Last year we could have managed without up to Coopers Bridge, but not this year due to damaged lock gear. 

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

We are at Brighouse currently and have needed to use handspikes coming up from Wakefield.  Last year we could have managed without up to Coopers Bridge, but not this year due to damaged lock gear. 

Thank you for confirming.

On ‎24‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 15:18, Victor Vectis said:

No.

I beg to differ.

We haven't travelled the K&A but we are quite familiar with the Shroppie and have never had a problem there.

But I'm sure there is a pound in the Tyrley locks with no landings as there is an underwater rock shelf?

On 25/05/2018 at 15:53, Neil2 said:

I thought that until I started going up there in the last 3 years. The lower end near Leeds is probably better now with all the new apartments and home which has brought much greater towpath traffic.

However the staircases at Forge and Newlay continue to be vandalised along with the Lockkeepers' container/shelter. Including trying to set lock beams alight!

The kids who have also been swimming in and messing around at Dobsons 2 above Apperley have this year moved up to the Field 3 (in the middle of nowhere) because CRT have got CCTV on at Dobsons now. In May we tried to moor above the Field 3 but had to call out CRT because a group of 8 youngsters came and started messing about with the locks. Unfortunately someone had left some of the locks off. CRT then advised us to move down to Dobsons because of course they knew we had called CRT out and we were starting to receive some verbal. Fortunately, it was good weather so a 7pm twilight cruise was quite pleasant. The CRT manager who came out said he was going to organise some better and more locks on the paddle gear the following day.

So as much as it hurts me (being a proud Yorkshireman) to say this there are definitely some areas up the L&L I do not moor, and certainly Leeds to Rodley I always do in 1 day.