Thames Vistor Mooring web site

john6767

Featured Posts

This https://www.thamesvisitormoorings.co.uk/ was mentioned in another thread.  I had not looked at it before and assumed it was a EA thing, but it appears that it is not.  Looking on the EA web site it makes no mention of this site at all, but the Thames visitor mooring web site says that they are managing the mooring sites.   So what is this all about, if you want to stay overnight on an EA mooring to you have to register on this site and then record you arrival? 

I do notice that on the Thames visitor mooring web site FAQ that is states

What happens if I don’t register my arrival?

Any vessel found on a mooring without having registered on the TVM site will be deemed to have been present for a full 24 hours and charged accordingly. We ask that you register your arrival as soon as possible after mooring, ideally within 15 minutes.

So to me that says that if it is a free of 24 hours site, which I thought all the EA ones were, then you are fine even by this dubious looking company's information.

So do people register their arrival on this sites and why?

The site is run by boaters for bona fide boaters. Although it may be tedious to register and announce you've arrived - how else would you control 'folks' who say when questioned - "I've only just arrived" when you know full well they've been there for several days.

Time was when the lockies monitored those sites which were near the lock, but they've been threatened - which is not acceptable, so EA put out the management of the moorings to tender and TVM won.

Time was when 'everybody' followed the rules - sadly no longer.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

This https://www.thamesvisitormoorings.co.uk/ was mentioned in another thread.  I had not looked at it before and assumed it was a EA thing, but it appears that it is not.  Looking on the EA web site it makes no mention of this site at all, but the Thames visitor mooring web site says that they are managing the mooring sites.   So what is this all about, if you want to stay overnight on an EA mooring to you have to register on this site and then record you arrival? 

I do notice that on the Thames visitor mooring web site FAQ that is states

So to me that says that if it is a free of 24 hours site, which I thought all the EA ones were, then you are fine even by this dubious looking company's information.

So do people register their arrival on this sites and why?

Have used those EA 24 moorings for Decades ,since this TVM outfit appeared(and no one can give a Plausible reason for it's Existence) ,have used them as before without "Registering".any Organisation that can use Threatening Language in their terms or Signage cannot IMO be trusted with Bank details.

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

The site is run by boaters for bona fide boaters. Although it may be tedious to register and announce you've arrived - how else would you control 'folks' who say when questioned - "I've only just arrived" when you know full well they've been there for several days.

Time was when the lockies monitored those sites which were near the lock, but they've been threatened - which is not acceptable, so EA put out the management of the moorings to tender and TVM won.

Do you know the 'Boaters' that run it ?I don't recall any Consultation with  'Boaters for 'Boaters'?Sounds like Private Enterprise..

Have messaged my concerns to the Thames Harbour master Webpage ,will see what response is given.

What is a Bona Fide Boater?

Edited by cereal tiller

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

But if it is actually a real thing, then why does not EA not talk about it on their page on their visitor mooring?  If they explained it themselves I have no issue with it, but there is nothing that suggest this is anything other than a fake web site is there?

• Greenie 1

I registered and use it. It's free and easy to use. Not that it makes much difference I registered outside Hampton Court and decided to get a fiver ready for a second full day - stayed a second day and did not get charged.

Things have changed there are more itinerant peripatetic chancers on the river so blame them.

Edited -  (not a topic on YBW - just a mention every now and again).

"

More About Thames Visitor Moorings

TVM has been created for the benefit all those who love the River Thames.  Boaters (no matter what sort of craft), landowners, householders, walkers, cyclists, people who fish - we all have a shared interest in the wellbeing and good management of the river and its banks.

The idea for TVM came from Rex Walden, a residential boater since 2003.  He arrived on the Thames in July 2013 and experienced at first hand the joys and challenges of finding a mooring and then mooring in a compliant way.

As ex Chair of the Residential Boat Owners' Association (RBOA) and now its Non Tidal Thames Representative, he has repeatedly learnt about the fears and concerns of householders, landowners and statutory authorities who are dealing with the problems created by boaters who overstay on moorings and banksides.

He became aware that the problems surrounding the use and misuse of moorings on the river exist largely because of the lack of suitable moorings both permanent and visitor. This is compounded by the lack of consistency in the frequency and nature of their management.  To make the best use of the moorings that exist and any new moorings that are brought into use requires more consistent management than the current regime can reasonably provide.  It is now considered that consistent management should minimise the need for enforcement and address the negative attitude towards the issue of mooring on the Thames.

Rex established TVM in order to work with boaters, the Environment Agency and other landowners to assist in providing a more welcoming, consistent and easy to understand Visitor Moorings regime. This ultimately will benefit the wider community who love the river, whether it is their home or their neighbour.

TVM hope that the existence of an organisation managing the moorings will encourage other riparian landowners to agree to allow further moorings to be established on their land.  Overstaying is easier to manage when there are enough moorings.

We welcome your comments. This is about making things better for everyone so if you have a suggestion please share it with us."

Edited by mark99

1 hour ago, mark99 said:

I registered and use it. It's free and easy to use. Not that it makes much difference I registered outside Hampton Court and decided to get a fiver ready for a second full day - stayed a second day and did not get charged.

Things have changed there are more itinerant peripatetic chancers on the river so blame them.

Edited -  (not a topic on YBW - just a mention every now and again).

"

More About Thames Visitor Moorings

TVM has been created for the benefit all those who love the River Thames.  Boaters (no matter what sort of craft), landowners, householders, walkers, cyclists, people who fish - we all have a shared interest in the wellbeing and good management of the river and its banks.

The idea for TVM came from Rex Walden, a residential boater since 2003.  He arrived on the Thames in July 2013 and experienced at first hand the joys and challenges of finding a mooring and then mooring in a compliant way.

As ex Chair of the Residential Boat Owners' Association (RBOA) and now its Non Tidal Thames Representative, he has repeatedly learnt about the fears and concerns of householders, landowners and statutory authorities who are dealing with the problems created by boaters who overstay on moorings and banksides.

He became aware that the problems surrounding the use and misuse of moorings on the river exist largely because of the lack of suitable moorings both permanent and visitor. This is compounded by the lack of consistency in the frequency and nature of their management.  To make the best use of the moorings that exist and any new moorings that are brought into use requires more consistent management than the current regime can reasonably provide.  It is now considered that consistent management should minimise the need for enforcement and address the negative attitude towards the issue of mooring on the Thames.

Rex established TVM in order to work with boaters, the Environment Agency and other landowners to assist in providing a more welcoming, consistent and easy to understand Visitor Moorings regime. This ultimately will benefit the wider community who love the river, whether it is their home or their neighbour.

TVM hope that the existence of an organisation managing the moorings will encourage other riparian landowners to agree to allow further moorings to be established on their land.  Overstaying is easier to manage when there are enough moorings.

We welcome your comments. This is about making things better for everyone so if you have a suggestion please share it with us."

But the point is that quote is from their web site.  How do you know that this is legitimate, as the EA do not describe this web site as the process to use their moorings.  Is there some information that proves this is a legitimate venture with the EA? 

21 minutes ago, john6767 said:

But the point is that quote is from their web site.  How do you know that this is legitimate, as the EA do not describe this web site as the process to use their moorings.  Is there some information that proves this is a legitimate venture with the EA? 

I don't get the point. Just a casual search on internet will find what you want.

You register and don't give your bank details. You don't even have to register if you don't want to.

By registering it's one click to book your arrival time.

By not registering you're assumed to be there 24 hours if the parkie comes along.

It's play this game or leave it to a "free for alll" and poss get landowners so pee'd off that the mooring is ultimately withdrawn.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-arrangements-at-visitor-moorings-on-the-non-tidal-river-thames

Edited by mark99

21 minutes ago, john6767 said:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-arrangements-at-visitor-moorings-on-the-non-tidal-river-thames

This describes a 12 month trial, which would have ended 6 months ago.  Not sure whether we are now in a extended trial, or if it has been made permanent.

Edited by Cheese
to highlight trial period

I am on a Thames visitor mooring as I type. There is one sign and one sign only it says free mooring for 24 hours only. Chertesey or somewhere? who cares. Nowt about registering or any other crap it was empty when we arrived at about 2pm so our two boats moored up and as continuous cruisers we will leave tomorrow. Simples.

41 minutes ago, mark99 said:

I don't get the point. Just a casual search on internet will find what you want.

You register and don't give your bank details. You don't even have to register if you don't want to.

By registering it's one click to book your arrival time.

By not registering you're assumed to be there 24 hours if the parkie comes along.

It's play this game or leave it to a "free for alll" and poss get landowners so pee'd off that the mooring is ultimately withdrawn.

So you has answered the question to a point, thank you.  That is all I was asking, if you look on the EA page for the visitor moorings they do not mention this at all, which sounded very suspicious.  At least that link show that this has some credability, except for the point made by @Cheese

40 minutes ago, Cheese said:

This describes a 12 month trial, which would have ended 6 months ago.  Not sure whether we are now in a extended trial, or if it has been made permanent.

Is there somewhere that the EA states that this is actually in force now and was not just a trial that ended.

i can’t see an email for the EA to clarify this, do you know what that would be?

We have spent the last week on the thames and have not stayed at any of their sites, there have been many others so no problem. We have seen some of their sites with a single sign half hidden in the trees for a 300 meter stretch. The ones we have mainly used just have many signs saying mooring allowed 24 hours in a 48 hour period. No confusion no threats and no problem. On two days we have paid for mooring but again the signs were clear that a fee applied. If you moor where there are many other boats you are probably not on one of their sites, people seem to be avoiding them whether with knowledge, or just feeling threatened I don't know.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

I am on a Thames visitor mooring as I type. There is one sign and one sign only it says free mooring for 24 hours only. Chertesey or somewhere? who cares. Nowt about registering or any other crap it was empty when we arrived at about 2pm so our two boats moored up and as continuous cruisers we will leave tomorrow. Simples.

Are you just downstream of Chertsey Bridge? They (and others) are local authority moorings, not managed by TVM.

When I had a chat with them recently about calling them to say we were on one of the moorings that they are responsible for, a reason for boaters to call was so that they knew if or how much spare room was available at that particular mooring for others to use.

The person I spoke to was well aware of the boats I am associated with and knew we only ever moored overnight but still asked us to call in for the reason above.

Tesco Reading moorings - Please get in contact with Reading council to ask that the first 24 hours are free so that those who want to can use the Tescos without penalty.

8 hours ago, barry adams said:

When I had a chat with them recently about calling them to say we were on one of the moorings that they are responsible for, a reason for boaters to call was so that they knew if or how much spare room was available at that particular mooring for others to use.

The person I spoke to was well aware of the boats I am associated with and knew we only ever moored overnight but still asked us to call in for the reason above.

Tesco Reading moorings - Please get in contact with Reading council to ask that the first 24 hours are free so that those who want to can use the Tescos without penalty.

Thanks.

I chose to register as when you arrive at a site, you just log in and click to let them know you are there.

2 hours ago, mark99 said:

Thanks.

I chose to register as when you arrive at a site, you just log in and click to let them know you are there.

Same here. I stayed at Runnymede last night ... log on, click click, done. I don't know how many charges/penalties are issued by TVM or how they might be enforced, but the deterrent effect of the signs can only be a good thing. Some people come onto the Thames from CaRT waters genuinely ignorant of the fact that there is no 14 day casual mooring rule.

10 hours ago, barry adams said:

Fair point. Even 2 hours stop & shop would help.

12 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Good morning. Have I spotted you? Runnymede, only one sign (where I moored). No TVM sign where the two boats are, so it looks like any other permissive mooring.

20180523_090118.jpg

4 minutes ago, Mike on the Wey said:

Good morning. Have I spotted you? Runnymede, only one sign (where I moored). No TVM sign where the two boats are, so it looks like any other permissive mooring.

20180523_090118.jpg

Hi Mike

No thats not us I think we are were your earlier post stated so council jobbies. Very nice too with cut grass. No rings but hey we cant expect it all ?

I have reservations about TVM. My first is that there is now a third party between myself and Environment Agency and that party is going to take some revenue that I would prefer went direct to EA. My second reservation is about enforcement. TVM cannot possible monitor all the EA mooring sites without an army of enforcement people. The signs say that the sites are monitored by CCTV. If that's the case why do they need you to register to ascertain how much space is available? ( That is "tonge in cheek" as they obviously do not have cctv at all , if any, sites.) 

I am also averse to logging on to anything while I am cruising. That means I have to make a call just to inform TVM I am mooring for one night, which is free. I would prefer management by exception ie. make contact and pay if I do want to stay more than one night.

Lastly, as mentioned above, the system was meant to be a trial. So how did the trial go?  I would like to know how much money was collected during that trial, how much was swallowed in costs and how much was passed on to EA.

I was on the Thames a couple of weeks ago and didn't notice any real difference in mooring availability from previous trips two or three a year in recent years. 

Apologies for the negative post but I just can't see the cost model working, or that it will make Thames mooring much easier. I would have preferred more focussed enforcement by EA. 

18 minutes ago, RichLech said:

I have reservations about TVM. My first is that there is now a third party between myself and Environment Agency and that party is going to take some revenue that I would prefer went direct to EA. My second reservation is about enforcement. TVM cannot possible monitor all the EA mooring sites without an army of enforcement people. The signs say that the sites are monitored by CCTV. If that's the case why do they need you to register to ascertain how much space is available? ( That is "tonge in cheek" as they obviously do not have cctv at all , if any, sites.) 

I am also averse to logging on to anything while I am cruising. That means I have to make a call just to inform TVM I am mooring for one night, which is free. I would prefer management by exception ie. make contact and pay if I do want to stay more than one night.

Lastly, as mentioned above, the system was meant to be a trial. So how did the trial go?  I would like to know how much money was collected during that trial, how much was swallowed in costs and how much was passed on to EA.

I was on the Thames a couple of weeks ago and didn't notice any real difference in mooring availability from previous trips two or three a year in recent years. 

Apologies for the negative post but I just can't see the cost model working, or that it will make Thames mooring much easier. I would have preferred more focussed enforcement by EA. 

That's what happened in the past, however it became difficult to manage, staff have been cut and I believe when the resident lockie tried to monitor and collect fees that he was met with personal violence - and that's why (in part) EA tried a different approach. TVM made an offer and that was accepted for the trial period. Now EA are dithering about what to do next despite some pressure from river user groups. AFAIK Rex manages the bookings for those who can be bothered and somehow DE enforce proceedings against those who can't...

For an example have a look at the YBW Thames forum and the activities of one Alastair Trotman.

Sorry to say this, but in general 'local' boaters behave reasonably well, it's an increasing influx of liveaboards who care little for anything who are creating a problem for all reasonable boaters and for the EA. There are some places where EA staff have to have a police presence when checking licences.

A