Something wonderful from CaRT

Midnight

Featured Posts

I reckon Victor Meldrew had the right phrase for this......I don't believe it? 

The day CRT puts the needs of boaters first will be the same day that Hell Freezes Over.

To blandly say that rebranding comes out of the existing marketing budget is so crass when several parts of the system are completely broken - one particularly the subject of begging bowls [Middlewich].  I have a budget which includes a savings pot.  When a situation requires money, I adjust my budget accordingly and take the hit on savings.

We have just arrived in Birmingham and they certainly not hung around in changing all the signs, the services ones, the big information ones, and even on every post with the mooring information (and there are a lot of those in Birmingham).  Somuch for 5his being a soft roll out.

9 minutes ago, john6767 said:

We have just arrived in Birmingham and they certainly not hung around in changing all the signs, the services ones, the big information ones, and even on every post with the mooring information (and there are a lot of those in Birmingham).  Somuch for 5his being a soft roll out.

I'm on Twitter and follow quite a few CRT accounts; there are a lot of tweets with photos of CRT staff/volunteers standing next to the new notices. 

21 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

I'm on Twitter and follow quite a few CRT accounts; there are a lot of tweets with photos of CRT staff/volunteers standing next to the new notices. 

Yep seen those, but when you see the shear volume of signs that have been replaced yourselfit hits home to the wholesale change being made here.  The waterborne volunteer taskforce boat had just gone post with a hold full of the old signs!

41 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Yep seen those, but when you see the shear volume of signs that have been replaced yourselfit hits home to the wholesale change being made here.  The waterborne volunteer taskforce boat had just gone post with a hold full of the old signs!

I have tried to be positive towards CaRT but I now give up. Not only have they comprehensively LIED to us about a gradual roll out at no cost, this is just more vandalism of the history and image of the canals. First we had poetry on the lock gates, then those horrible modern water taps, and now the old familiar black and white image is under attack. I will bet its only a matter of time before they starting painting the lock gates blue. So historians, has the waterway always been black and white (or grey on the Shroppie)?, where locks are listed structures can we take action if CaRT paint them? Can we do anything about inappropriate signage at Historic locations?

...............Dave 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, dmr said:

I have tried to be positive towards CaRT but I now give up. Not only have they comprehensively LIED to us about a gradual roll out at no cost, this is just more vandalism of the history and image of the canals. First we had poetry on the lock gates, then those horrible modern water taps, and now the old familiar black and white image is under attack. I will bet its only a matter of time before they starting painting the lock gates blue. So historians, has the waterway always been black and white (or grey on the Shroppie)?, where locks are listed structures can we take action if CaRT paint them? Can we do anything about inappropriate signage at Historic locations?

...............Dave 

How far back does your history go? British Waterways colours used to be blue and yellow.  In fact the new blue isn’t so far off.

2 hours ago, dmr said:

...............Dave 

It may be possible.  It depends when the 'black and white livery' was begun.  Listing itself didn't begin until half-way through the last century - but it IS iconic and  the canal system does belong to the nation, held in trust by CRT.  Those who feel strongly should write to Richard Parry - and Therese Coffey (DEFRA).

57 minutes ago, adam1uk said:

How far back does your history go? British Waterways colours used to be blue and yellow.  In fact the new blue isn’t so far off.

The new blue is nothing like the old blue - if you look at it without sunglasses and close your eyes, you will see pink (or red).  It is absolutely inappropriate.

20 minutes ago, Tanglewood said:

The new blue is nothing like the old blue - if you look at it without sunglasses and close your eyes, you will see pink (or red).  It is absolutely inappropriate.

I don't think you need to close your eyes - it seems as if a lot of people are 'seeing red' over this whole rebranding issue.

1 hour ago, adam1uk said:

BW used to paint to lock gates and balance beams blue and yellow? 

I don't remember that.

On 23/05/2018 at 19:54, john6767 said:

Everything you ever wanted to know about the meaning of the new logo

https://www.designweek.co.uk/issues/21-27-may-2018/studio-blackburns-refreshed-identity-canal-river-trust/

The studio has designed a circular symbol for the organisation’s new logo, which fades off into stripes further down. This aims to represent the reflection of a bridge on a canal, as well as water ripples, says Paul Blackburn, founder at the studio. It replaces a logo consisting of a swan swimming on a canal underneath a bridge.

Blackburn adds that the new logo aims to represent the idea of “transition” – moving from “the old to the new”, while retaining the bridge element of the previous logo.

“The shape now also represents a rising sun, unity and togetherness, as well as the reflections of water,” he says.

It's a drawing of a bloody doughnut!

*sigh* ad people... honestly...

4 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

It's a drawing of a bloody doughnut!

*sigh* ad people... honestly...

You don’t get paid 60k just to draw a doughnut, so you need a story behind it to justify the fee.

Just now, john6767 said:

And what would the story be, que story time with Mike......

Once upon a time I was cruising the cut, and there was this terrible banging noise from my blade....

I opened my weed hatch (no sniggering) and what did I find but a CRT logo stuck around my prop. Brilliant I thought, well worth the £60k they lied about creating it.

Oi Richard, do you want it back or shall I call RCR to cut it orf and bin it? 

11 minutes ago, john6767 said:

You don’t get paid 60k just to draw a doughnut, so you need a story behind it to justify the fee.

The white arch represents the bridge that the boater will chuck him/herself off. While the horizontal lines depict the heart monitors of the boaters when the price hikes occur.

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Midnight said:

What did CaRT say about the new brand and replacing signs as they need renewing? Today at Woodlesford Lock on the A&C I counted 17 new signs with the new brand.

woodlesford.jpg.8a829e9faa12d5242b665d95a276d2b1.jpg

I love the one on a post that they have actually installed underneath a zip tie holding up a notice about winter moorings.

As winter moorings ended weeks ago, that sign needs removing, but no, let's just leave it there, and have the old fastening crossing over the brand new sign.

Initiative doesn't seem to be in some people's skill-set!

On 25/05/2018 at 17:57, adam1uk said:

On 25/05/2018 at 18:54, Tanglewood said:

The problem with that statement is that there have been many different shades of "Waterways blue" over the years.

Studying old pictures shows boats in very different shades, attributable to ra more than just fading.

This is the shade we have been advised to use on our tug that is restored to British Waterways maintenance boat colours of a certain era.....

Azure%20Blue.jpg

Here is a sign just erected locally.......

IMG_20180525_173723.jpg

46 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I love the one on a post that they have actually installed underneath a zip tie holding up a notice about winter moorings.

As winter moorings ended weeks ago, that sign needs removing, but no, let's just leave it there, and have the old fastening crossing over the brand new sign.

Initiative doesn't seem to be in some people's skill-set!

I had a little chuckle at that one too

20 hours ago, Midnight said:

What did CaRT say about the new brand and replacing signs as they need renewing? Today at Woodlesford Lock on the A&C I counted 17 new signs with the new brand.

woodlesford.jpg.8a829e9faa12d5242b665d95a276d2b1.jpg

That picture probably shows the new logo in its best light. When it's small and distant, it blends into itself and doesn't look too bad. Not as good or recognisable as previous logos, though, by a long way :)

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all....

The Canal Boating Times has a new sign at Chester on the cover....all Chester signs seem to have been replaced!

The Boat Museum (Sorry, the NWM or whatever it is being called now...) has new signage too!

The Captain has come up with something!

The Cyclist & Ramblers Trust new Blue Logo, the same blue as used on Cycleway signs!

Also....they are only replacing signs that need replacing....

Any sign with the old logo is out of date, and therfore needs replacing!!!

For me, they have missed out a circle....unless it represents a Uni-cycle???? ;)

Edited by wrexham lass
  • Haha 1