Something wonderful from CaRT

Midnight

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Far canal!!!

79 Managers were paid over £60k pa.

The remuneration during the year for Richard Parry, chief executive, comprised a salary of £180,620, pension allowance of £2,601,
car allowance of £9,768 and benefits in kind of £1,416, totalling £194,405. The value of employer contributions during the year to
the Canal & River Trust defined contribution pension scheme was £5,405.
There was one employee whose remuneration during the year was higher than the chief executive. Stuart Mills, property director,
received a salary of £164,499, pension allowance of £7,107, car allowance of £9,768, performance related pay of £24,491
reflecting the strong performance of our property portfolio in the year ended 31 March 2016, and benefits in kind of £2,022, totalling
£207,887. The value of the pension input amount during the year to the Waterways Pension Fund defined benefit scheme, after
deduction of employee contributions, was £57,366.

The total employee remuneration (including pension) paid to key management personnel was £1.4m, plus £0.1m social security costs

200 staff were DIRECTLY involved in generating income from boating, 1202 staff were directly involved in waterways maintenance and repairs, 11 were directly involved with generating voluntary donations, 51 staff ran the museums and 185 were in 'support functions'

Total employment costs were £65.1m

I dont who's arse is twitching more, the boaters who fear the canals will fall into disrepair or mr parry when the government funding stops and the money drys up, there is only so many properties can be sold, only so much begging at hawkesbury junction each weekend can be done....   something has to give. 

1 minute ago, Dave Payne said:

I dont who's arse is twitching more, the boaters who fear the canals will fall into disrepair or mr parry when the government funding stops and the money drys up, there is only so many properties can be sold, only so much begging at hawkesbury junction each weekend can be done....   something has to give. 

I doubt my parry will be worried, he likely will just move on.

What we seem to have now is an organisation who's prime purpose appears to be embellish certain people's cv's with much bluster about implementing change management strategies and the like.

Just saying you did a brilliant job by maintaining a safe and working navigation for boaters is clearly not going to cut it when you move on to your next 'challenge'.

4 hours ago, MJG said:

No I didn't say that at all. Our reasons for selling back in 2015 were nothing to do with something which has happened three years after we sold up? How could it be?

I indicated that looking back now I think that was the correct decision given the direction they are now taking.

So it was hardly a weird reason for selling the boat as you call it, because it wasn't the reasons we sold it at all. 

Spot the mention of boaters in this video anyone?

I get what you mean Martin, lots of pictures of boats but no mention of them, in fact 90% of their business is about other things, I think we as boaters have to be very careful otherwise it will be 100% other things and boats will be those nice objects ........................sat on the bank! its a slippery slope and its not a long one

"This is why today we are launching our new brand so we can help millions of people live happier and healthier lives"

Interesting that 90% of their customers don't have boats yet pay nothing. 10% have boats but pay handsomely. Obviously a move away from being a navigation authority more like a leisure centre management company. What about some kind of customer contract? Maybe we could get a few quid back every time we find a broken paddle or a stoppage. Seems only fair as such things don't affect the non-payers. Oh yes I know they would be bankrupt inside a month, but to be honest I think they are a bit bankrupt of common sense.  Next year's Allan Richards FOI request "What percentage of the population live happier and healthier lives since the introduction of the new CaRT logo?"

Edited by Midnight

11 minutes ago, Midnight said:

"This is why today we are launching our new brand so we can help millions of people live happier and healthier lives"

Interesting that 90% of their customers don't have boats yet pay nothing. 10% have boats but pay handsomely.

The government pays £50 million a year on behalf of the other 90 per cent — and if we want the government to keep doing that, CRT has to show that they’re getting something for the cash.  Otherwise the government is likely to say that the privileged few who can afford a boat should foot the whole bill, and we’ll all end up paying two or three times as much.  

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, adam1uk said:

The government pays £50 million a year on behalf of the other 90 per cent — and if we want the government to keep doing that, CRT has to show that they’re getting something for the cash.  Otherwise the government is likely to say that the privileged few who can afford a boat should foot the whole bill, and we’ll all end up paying two or three times as much.  

Will they be able to sue if there lives arn't happier and healthier by next year?

I don't consider cyclists and pedestrians, to be customers, they are users.

Customers are those who pay, so one customer is Sustrans, approximately 30000 are licenced boaters, each marina is a customer, and every business who pays, but I still think that boaters are more likely to be 90% of the customers than anyone else.

If those 30000 have to start paying x amount more, this will increase stress and reduce wellness in an identifiable population, by a measurable amount.

My brother has lived within four miles of a canal for fifty years, he is in a local walking group but has never set foot near it, if he wants a casual family walk, he goes to a public park, funded by his local rates He would probably have to travel by car to get to the canal. It may be only a short distance away, but it is not convenient.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I don't consider cyclists and pedestrians, to be customers, they are users.

Customers are those who pay, so one customer is Sustrans, 3000 are boaters, each marina is a customer, and every business who pays, I still think that boaters are more likely to be 90% of the customers than anyone else.

If those 3000 have to start paying Xamount more, this will increase stress and reduce wellness in an identifiable population, by a measurable amount.

I think you have missed a nought off your boaters' figure

Edited by rgreg

1 hour ago, adam1uk said:

NO, the government pays £50m on behalf of ALL of us.  Having paid their taxes to contribute to that £50m, boaters then pay an additional fee.

George

Edited by furnessvale

4 hours ago, MJG said:

Just saying you did a brilliant job by maintaining a safe and working navigation for boaters is clearly not going to cut it when you move on to your next 'challenge'.

And we all know that is one claim he cannot substantiate, maintenance issues being one of the regular complaints.

15 minutes ago, LadyG said:

ty, thought there was summat wrong

One of the conditions of continuing the grant from Defra is related to the 'towpath'

They are tasked with :

increasing the number of visitors every year

improving the time that the towpaths are 'open' 

improving on the 'finish' of the towpaths

The number of visits to the towpath = 396,000,000 (2016 = 380,000,000)

Number and duration of unplanned towpath closures. Defined as unplanned closures that are caused by asset or infrastructure failure 2017 = 24 (2016 = 31)

Percentage of towpaths in conditions A to C (The Relevant Standard is no less than 60%) 2017 = 78.5% (2016 = 78.4%)

As the mathematical astute amongst you will have worked out, the 'visits number' equates to 520 visits Every DAY, for EVERY MILE of waterway, come Summer, Winter, hale, Snow or Shine.

How many days do you travel and see 520 people per mile per day ?

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

And we all know that is one claim he cannot substantiate, maintenance issues being one of the regular complaints.

That being my point. He doesn't really get any points on his CV for doing that.

So why bother?

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

One of the conditions of continuing the grant from Defra is related to the 'towpath'

They are tasked with :

increasing the number of visitors every year

improving the time that the towpaths are 'open' 

improving on the 'finish' of the towpaths

The number of visits to the towpath = 396,000,000 (2016 = 380,000,000)

Number and duration of unplanned towpath closures. Defined as unplanned closures that are caused by asset or infrastructure failure 2017 = 24 (2016 = 31)

Percentage of towpaths in conditions A to C (The Relevant Standard is no less than 60%) 2017 = 78.5% (2016 = 78.4%)

As the mathematical astute amongst you will have worked out, the 'visits number' equates to 520 visits Every DAY, for EVERY MILE of waterway, come Summer, Winter, hale, Snow or Shine.

That can't be right, I don't think the figures add up, but as long as they show an increase every year, is there a problem?

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I don't suppose they will be as conveniently spread out as that.  Out of interest how many visits do you think some of the popular parts of th system have per day e.g. parts of London or round Broad Street B'ham?

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

That can't be right, I don't think the figures add up, but as long as they show an increase every year, is there a problem?

Some time ago C&RT published the methodology in getting the visitor figures.

I don't remember the exact detail but it was basically :

Every 2 weeks - telephone 2000 'random' people, ask them if they had used a towpath in the last 2 weeks.

(say) 200 of them had then,

that being 10% of the sample, 10% of the entire population of the UK was assumed to have visited a towpath, so 6 million visits per 2 weeks, or 3 million per week.

On being questioned about the validity of this method  the reply was it was a standard marketing technique (which as a Post Graduate in marketing , a DipM and MCIM, made me smile)

6 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I don't suppose they will be as conveniently spread out as that.  Out of interest how many visits do you think some of the popular parts of th system have per day e.g. parts of London or round Broad Street B'ham?

Totally agree - but the number of days I have travelled (say) 20 miles along the River Trent and seen none - would mean that those 10,000 were somewhere else

6 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

As I now have to print my own licences next year I will add those two black circles to their logo. Black marker pen would also do the job.

11 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:
Picture

Like the new CRT logo, there are some things you just can't un-seen

fullsizeoutput_456.jpeg

• Greenie 1
  • Horror 1