Something wonderful from CaRT

Midnight

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, rgreg said:

Oh I see.  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'll put my boat on the market then and get a caravan.

It's entirely up to you what you do fella. I would say we got out at the perfect time looking back now.

Edited by MJG

17 minutes ago, MJG said:

The point is Mike, which you seem to have not grasped,

No, the point I was making which YOU have not grasped was that the waterways are working pretty well by and large, these days in my experience. Yes there are problems and yers possibly in 20 years time it will have all fallen apart, but you said you sold up because cannot be dealing with an authority that doesn't want to be, or something like that. This seems an weird reason to sell your boat when practically, at the moment they are doing it all pretty well. I agree in 20 years the outlook is poor, but I'll keep my boats until then rather than sell up while there is a shedload of good boating still available. 

• Greenie 3

25 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You ARE funny sometimes. I manage to go boating for weeks and months on end without 'dealing' with them.

And when I do have occasion to 'deal with them' I find them quick, efficient and courteous. Like when that tree blocked the cut last week. I called to report it as was off the phone again in about three minutes. Quick and efficient, as was the team of chainsaw acrobats who dismantled and removed it.

Much the same story when I deal with them over licensing and my CRT mooring. Everyone I communicate with is quick, efficient and courteous. 

We have much the same experience with CRT.

We reported a large submerged obstruction beneath one of the bridges in Lincoln city centre. Within ten minutes the CRT work boat was heading down there to try and found it. They pulled out a large planter which had been thrown in.

We are a little dismayed at their response, or lack of more to the point, regarding the moorers who have been on the Lincoln 48 hour moorings since October. But again we know that their hands are tied and they have to follow procedures.

14 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

No, the point I was making which YOU have not grasped was that the waterways are working pretty well by and large, these days in my experience. Yes there are problems and yers possibly in 20 years time it will have all fallen apart, but you said you sold up because cannot be dealing with an authority that doesn't want to be, or something like that. This seems an weird reason to sell your boat when practically, at the moment they are doing it all pretty well. I agree in 20 years the outlook is poor, but I'll keep my boats until then rather than sell up while there is a shedload of good boating still available. 

No I didn't say that at all. Our reasons for selling back in 2015 were nothing to do with something which has happened three years after we sold up? How could it be?

I indicated that looking back now I think that was the correct decision given the direction they are now taking.

So it was hardly a weird reason for selling the boat as you call it, because it wasn't the reasons we sold it at all. 

Spot the mention of boaters in this video anyone?

Edited by MJG

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Interesting that "90% + of our customer base are no longer water based and we need to adapt to their needs"

And particularly interesting that those 90% dont pay a penny as 'customers' of CRT other than what they (including me) pay indirectly through taxation which must amount to a pittance. I regularly visit a CRT facility (Tees Barrage) to walk the dog when we stay nearby but they never see a penny from me to do so. But it would appear I and many others like me their new 'best friend'.

Boats and boaters were heavily featured in the video throughout, but I agree that not very much was said about them.

Since when has Phil Mitchell worked for CART? I suppose he's responsible for chasing non-payers.

I think that rather than doing less for boaters this more of a strategy for them to go to the government and say "Hey, look how great our charity and our infrastructure is for the health of the nation, something that you have pushed as a policy. Please give us huge financial support to ensure that these health-affirming facilities can be maintained and improved." 

I don't know where most of the cash flow for CART comes from but I imagine a significant part of it is from licence payers, so I would also imagine that dumping boaters is the last thing they want to do. Perhaps I'm being naive but from by background working in charity and marketing, this looks to me more like an attempt to open more channels of income (which will benefit everyone in the long run) rather than a cynical attempt to dump the needs of the boaters. I mean, if they don't do what we want, such  as - maintain tow-paths, uphold the natural beauty, make the cut navigable, etc - then why would anyone what to go for a jog or take their school class for a nature walk? Helping boaters is imperative for their business plan to work. Unless the just sell the land off to property developers ? 

• Greenie 2

How boring and I thought it was going to be announcing that cyclists would be having to pay their way instead of ripping the towpaths up for free ☹️

47 minutes ago, MJG said:

No I didn't say that at all. Our reasons for selling back in 2015 were nothing to do with something which has happened three years after we sold up? How could it be?

I indicated that looking back now I think that was the correct decision given the direction they are now taking.

So it was hardly a weird reason for selling the boat as you call it, because it wasn't the reasons we sold it at all. 

Spot the mention of boaters in this video anyone?

What a load of unadulterated crap. Maybe its time for all of us to buy caravans. ☹️

20 minutes ago, JakeFruitcake said:

I don't know where most of the cash flow for CART comes from but I imagine a significant part of it is from licence payers, so I would also imagine that dumping boaters is the last thing they want to do.

Their sources of income are easy enough to discover - if you are so inclined.

Just as an example C&RTs income from charging for water extraction and allowing surface water to drain into their waterways is about the same as boat licences (£30m) Income from 'property investments' £47m, income from DEFRA £50m, Income from charitable activities £31m, income from donations £3m, income from Marinas £8m.

Unfortunately as a minority contributor (licences give about 15% of the income) we have an ever decreasing influence on C&RTs thinking.

They currently seem to be getting almost more money from Sustrans to upgrade the tow-paths into cycle race-ways than they get from boat licences !!!

Edited by Alan de Enfield

12 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Good idea. Much shallower draft but how would we make them go along?

Outboards, how else?

caraboat-camper.jpg

5 minutes ago, pete.i said:

Lazy reporting.

There is no intention to impact on existing stoves and any ones sold after 2022 will have to meet a new cleaner standard (that some new stoves already attain.)

Slightly more balanced version here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-44203396

Edited by MJG

I was surprised to read, in Pete's link, that the 14 most polluted cities in the world are all in one country - because I assumed it would be China, but apparently it's not.

1 hour ago, JakeFruitcake said:

I don't know where most of the cash flow for CART comes from but I imagine a significant part of it is from licence payers,

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Their sources of income are easy enough to discover - if you are so inclined.

Just as an example C&RTs income from charging for water extraction and allowing surface water to drain into their waterways is about the same as boat licences (£30m) Income from 'property investments' £47m, income from DEFRA £50m, Income from charitable activities £31m, income from donations £3m, income from Marinas £8m.

Unfortunately as a minority contributor (licences give about 15% of the income) we have an ever decreasing influence on C&RTs thinking.

They currently seem to be getting almost more money from Sustrans to upgrade the tow-paths into cycle race-ways than they get from boat licences !!!

The time limit for editing has gone so another update post :

C&RTs income from Boat licences 2016/17 was £19.6m (not the £30m I quoted previously) making boat licences even 'lower down the totem pole' of income streams.

"Water & Utilities" income was £27m

Edited by Alan de Enfield

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Income from charitable activities £31m, income from donations £3m

This bit puzzles me. What are 'charitable activities' I find myself wondering, given they are so lucrative. 

CRT should do more of them!

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Things like Up-grading the cycle tracks towpaths (money donated by Sustrans)

Oh, but surely they must be spending the same amount back out on the upgrades...  £31m a year on towpath tarmac? This seems a leetle impausible.

That works out they are getting £15,500 a year for each mile of towpath, upgraded or not. 

Very generous of SUSTRANS.

25 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Oh, but surely they must be spending the same amount back out on the upgrades...  £31m a year on towpath tarmac? This seems a leetle impausible.

That works out they are getting £15,500 a year for each mile of towpath, upgraded or not. 

Very generous of SUSTRANS.

But whilst the income may look good - the cost of "Charitable Activities" was £156.9m

You may find it interesting to run thru' their year end accounts.

(£22.5m on training, supervision & management of volunteers, travel & Insurance !!!!)

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But whilst the income may look good - the cost of "Charitable Activities" was £156.9m

You may find it interesting to run thru' their year end accounts.

(£22.5m on training, supervision & management of volunteers, travel & Insurance !!!!)

Far canal!!!

• Haha 1