Wheels to stop rubbing against a cill

Steve Manc

Featured Posts

Hi

I recently was unable to use a mooring on Macclesfield Canal due to the narrowboat hull rubbing against a cill.  Later on as I was walking past I noticed another narrowboat moored there. I looked down between the towpath and their boat and they had small wheels.  I understand them to be cart wheels, around 9 inches plus,  that a delivery person would have on their cart. 

Midland has a plastic type: https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/store/category/1535/product/af-184.aspx

simular type on ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-Pneumatic-Wheels-for-Sack-Truck-Trolley-Dolly-Cart-Garden-Barrow-PAIR-TE20/400680639947?epid=1212039937&hash=item5d4a6d5dcb

Anyone using them?

Any advise where to buy them?

Thanks

The Midland Chandler's version, for which you provide a link, is something different.  It is a more conventional fender in the style of a tyre.  It has a hole to one edge for dangling from a rope.  It might not float horizontally - or at all.

46 minutes ago, Steve Manc said:

I recently was unable to use a mooring on Macclesfield Canal due to the narrowboat hull rubbing against a cill.

The same cill is also found on the Shroppie (called the Shroppie Shelf) and at some locks on the River Trent.

3x Wheelbarrow wheels (with tyres) laid horizontally (front centre and back) make it all OK.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

10 minutes ago, Steve Manc said:

Rob, Frangar, Nightwatch

Which type are you or have you used Pneumatic,  solid, foam filled  ?

Thanks

I would use Pneumatic as you can then pump up to a pressure thats comfortable for the boat to rub up against.

I use 3 x 17" alloy road wheels (3mm tread) as the shroppie shelf is quite large where I moor.  They are wonderful for a quiet night's sleep.  I used to use the wheelbarrow wheels but they were not always big enough and they didn't last forever.

33 minutes ago, Steve Manc said:

Rob, Frangar, Nightwatch

Which type are you or have you used Pneumatic,  solid, foam filled  ?

Thanks

I use this pneumatic type, very handy for mooring on curves. Put the rope through the centre so that the wheel floats flat. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-10-pneumatic-wheel-with-centre-plastic-hub-jockey-wheel-cart-trolley-barrow/282294812218?hash=item41ba14fe3a:g:1KkAAOSwJ7RYVZC4

Edited by Flyboy

When I moor against an edge that might snag the boat, I put a boat pole down vertically between the boat and the edge, lashed to the fender attachment. That way I am protected from very large changes in level.

• Greenie 1

I have often considered fitting wheels to my boat, mainly because both The Coventry and The Ashby have depleted floatability installed.

2 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

I use 3 x 17" alloy road wheels (3mm tread) as the shroppie shelf is quite large where I moor.  They are wonderful for a quiet night's sleep.  I used to use the wheelbarrow wheels but they were not always big enough and they didn't last forever.

I can't think of a single thing that does, except perhaps, disappointment. 

Wow that was heavy for a Tuesday!!

3 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

I should have said, floating flat, as Flyboy posted above.

Metal wheels rust (believe it or not) Plastic is better. 

Our stern used to bump the Shroppie ledge when moored with car wheels and tyres, unless they are from a very big car or Land rover they are 24" diameter which were a tad small for us with a standard narrowboat. Maybe standard wheels with large aspect ratio tyres might do it, say 80%, or ideally 100% but I doubt there is such a thing now. 

5 hours ago, Flyboy said:

I use this pneumatic type, very handy for mooring on curves. Put the rope through the centre so that the wheel floats flat. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-10-pneumatic-wheel-with-centre-plastic-hub-jockey-wheel-cart-trolley-barrow/282294812218?hash=item41ba14fe3a:g:1KkAAOSwJ7RYVZC4

I used to have the same ones 20 years ago, bought from a garden center, if you use a fairly thick rope it just needs a knot at the end and the wheels are plastic so nothing to rust.

10 hours ago, WJM said:

When I moor against an edge that might snag the boat, I put a boat pole down vertically between the boat and the edge, lashed to the fender attachment. That way I am protected from very large changes in level.

Like what they had/have on the Middlewich Branch?

On 22/05/2018 at 13:24, nb Innisfree said:

Metal wheels rust (believe it or not) Plastic is better. 

Our stern used to bump the Shroppie ledge when moored with car wheels and tyres, unless they are from a very big car or Land rover they are 24" diameter which were a tad small for us with a standard narrowboat. Maybe standard wheels with large aspect ratio tyres might do it, say 80%, or ideally 100% but I doubt there is such a thing now. 

On 22/05/2018 at 10:38, Steve Manc said:

To all

Thanks for the feed back. I have ordered two pneumatic / pump up type

Hi 

My pneumatic / pump up type wheels have arrived.  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400680639947

The air intake connector looks to be the same type as a car but smaller.  Have users of these wheels used the car garage to get tyres up to 30 PSI or purchased a pump?

Thanks

19 minutes ago, Steve Manc said:

Hi 

My pneumatic / pump up type wheels have arrived.  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400680639947

The air intake connector looks to be the same type as a car but smaller.  Have users of these wheels used the car garage to get tyres up to 30 PSI or purchased a pump?

Thanks

I used a cheap 12v tyre pump, available from various outlets, Lidl and Aldi sell them occasionally. 

28 minutes ago, Steve Manc said:

Hi 

Thanks

They are normally the same as a car valve. Maybe yours fit a bike pump.