Napton - avoiding the flight on Wednesday???

Jennifer McM

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, roland elsdon said:

any old grease is fine on an old boat. 

Modern canal cruisers need marks and spencers organic vegan water soluble right on grease. However they rarely get stuck hence the profit dip. Continuous moorers don't own grease,why would they? - Stop the boat squeaking against the Armco?

6 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Do you happen to know if any of the recently stuck boats were historic ones?

Alan, it has been reported elsewhere that the boat involved was Violet, a converted BCN day boat.

That would certainly fit as when I came down on Sunday 13th it was tied in the bottom pound pointing uphill and later that week was round by the winding hole at the bottom pointing the other way.
A joey boat getting stuck is no great surprise.

Smug mode on: I deliberately came out of lock 9 very slowly to see if I could feel the boat sticking at all. It just drifted out with no hesitation.

14 minutes ago, davidg said:

Smug mode on: I deliberately came out of lock 9 very slowly to see if I could feel the boat sticking at all. It just drifted out with no hesitation.

You are welcome to your smug mode - if ours went through I'd probably be smug as well.

Paul Barber says Whitby fits, but has suggested elsewhere a theory that some of the boats Willow Wren had were worked very hard, and not treated that well by the boatmen, and that repeated cill rammings with loaded boats may have caused some to be wider behind the front deck that they should be.

Certainly it seems Flamingo is one of the wider ones, and being converted, has no chains we can pull her in with, so I don't think we'll be trying Hurleston!

We haven’t tried in Aber , although we had chains attached before the metal top as welded on. I got stuck in our previous small Woolwich whereas before we were OK. 60’ was a pain to reverse back to the turning point past the moored boats. Full length back to Wigrams I didn’t fancy

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

You are welcome to your smug mode - if ours went through I'd probably be smug as well.

I am feeling smug as well as OTLEY came down through Napton Lock 9 on 08 May with little more than a shudder, particularly smug as I bought an old boat with steel gunwales and a cabin conversion shell without a survey - so it could have been 7'3'' for all I knew. 

I am hopeful that the problems with Lock 9 will be resolved in the winter as the southern Oxford Canal is one of my favourites, and I can't help feeling that OTLEY was lucky on this occasion and it could have been a very different situation with a slight variation in water level :captain:

Edited by pete harrison