Old Painted Boat Lamp on TV

Featured Posts

The expert was Paul Atterbury, whose expertise is more on steam railways, but he does have an interest in canals as well.  The lamp was supposed to have been painted by Charles Atkins, son of Charlie "chocolate" Atkins.

38 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

You may well be right, I was chuckling about his choice of blazer, as usual, and looking past him at the butty behind him.

There were no buttys seen during the episode, the boat on which the lamp was stood being the B.C.N. day boat BIRCHILLS. 

I am pretty sure that the owner of the lamp was Cliff Sherwood (I have not spoken with him since 01 July 2006), former owner of BELLATRIX :captain:

6 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

As you say, find another. In which case, how does one value such an item?

By how much someone pays or offers for it.

Tricky if it's not actually being offered, however I'm happy to go on record for saying I'd pay £900 without hesitation for it. 

I am struggling here, especially at almost £1k hypothetical.

Are we valuing the masthead light as a canal artefact in its own right or is value added because it was painted by a well known boatman ? 

Masthead lights were not that common on narrow boats, but the one on the Antiques Roadshow did have a plaque attached linking it to a carrier on the Staffs and Worcester Canal - and this makes it interesting to me. Personally I am not a great fan of boatman painted items, instead preferring the higher quality items produced by boatyard painters (professional painters), and I thought the lamp painted by 'young' Charlie Atkins looked crude. Because of the painting I would not make an offer if this lamp was advertised for sale, but it is a funny old world as if it were unpainted I would pay a considerable sum due to its direct link with that carrier and my desire to have one on my boat as they were G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. issue.

For the record I also knew 'young' Charlie Atkins and respected him greatly :captain: 

Old painted ware is now commanding big money. I heard recently of a can painted by Ron Hough selling for £600+, quite remarkable given his prodigious output. Rooting through old paperwork recently, I unearthed an invoice from the mid 90s for 3 2 gallon water cans from Lesters....a snip at £22.50 each. How times have changed!! 

• Greenie 1

21 minutes ago, dave moore said:

Old painted ware is now commanding big money. I heard recently of a can painted by Ron Hough selling for £600+, quite remarkable given his prodigious output. Rooting through old paperwork recently, I unearthed an invoice from the mid 90s for 3 2 gallon water cans from Lesters....a snip at £22.50 each. How times have changed!! 

I must have a few grands worth in that case. Not that it rerally matters, as none of it is for sale.

15 hours ago, dave moore said:

Old painted ware is now commanding big money. I heard recently of a can painted by Ron Hough selling for £600+, quite remarkable given his prodigious output.

I bought a Ron Hough can at some point after his death for under a quarter of that amount.

I would assume to achieve over £600 there would need to be something pretty special about it.

2 hours ago, max's son said:

Dad's can I sold appeared on Ebay and went for over £600

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/87699-water-cans-and-handbowls/&page=3   

Post 75

I think he found it floating in the canal round Birmingham

Good lord what was Max doing floating around in a canal in Birmingham, I hope he'd had his shots.