Fray Bentos Hash, and a Q

LadyG

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

If it is only 25% beef and 24 % pastry that is a pretty poor pie :blink:

Here are images of [url=https://www.bing.com/images/search?q="Paw+Pie"&qpvt="Paw+Pie"&FORM=IQFRML]Paw Pie[/url]. 

It seems even worse ….. ne meat at all ….. made for Veggies it seems!

6 hours ago, nb Innisfree said:

Fray Bentos pies were the working class fine cuisine once, but alas no more. 

Growing up in Sheffield we, unusually, never had corned beef hash in our house, probably because my dad would only eat fresh meat from the butchers. I didn't try it until my 30s, corned beef stew actually, and I was instantly converted.

Best wi' 'endersons relish onnit. 

Fray bentos pies are the prime ingrediant in a Wigan Kebeb........mmmmmmmmmmm u havnt lived till yes had a Wigan Kebab smothered in HP!!

Tin of stewed steak, tin of carrots, onions, well softened (used to be able to get tinned "Easy Onions" but alas, no more). Lovely pie filling or pasty filling with potato added.

If it's an emergency, omit the pastry and call it stew.

5 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ah now there's another thing changed beyond recognition. Corned beef. When I was a brat a tin of corned beef had proper meat in it, put in the tin simply to preserve it. Corned beef in slices and pickle in sandwiches, brilliant! 

Nowadays a tin of corned beef contains just pink mush, and a high proportion of fat. It looks like the old corned beef I remember but with all the stuff recognisable as meat taken out. 

And why is it called 'corned' beef anyway? No corn in it that I can see. Or taste.

from 'corns' of salt which preserved it

6 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

And why is it called 'corned' beef anyway? No corn in it that I can see. Or taste.

From memory, "corns" are or were small pieces of salt put in the beef to preserve it.

EDIT: Mr. Tee just beat me to it. At least that suggests that my memory is correct.

Edited by Athy

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

If it is only 25% beef and 24 % pastry that is a pretty poor pie :blink:

The fact that water is the first ingredient says it all, really. Most of the rest of the ingredients probably account for another 5% by weight, so what you are buying is around 45% water.

7 hours ago, tree monkey said:

"Corned' is a method of preserving meat, I've had proper corned beef for breakfast when staying with a Polish family.

Still didn't like it

Now I'm back at home and have some time to play.

Apparently the corn is the name used for the large bits of salt used in the curing process. 

It's still minging

Ahh I see I've been beaten to my fact of the day

Edited by tree monkey

1 hour ago, Dyertribe said:

Tin of stewed steak, tin of carrots, onions, well softened (used to be able to get tinned "Easy Onions" but alas, no more). Lovely pie filling or pasty filling with potato added.

If it's an emergency, omit the pastry and call it stew.

I tried a stew made out of tinned ingredients once and it tasted like a stew made out of tinned ingredients,  gopping

In an emergency go to the chippy

Unless of course you have some secret that I don't know about :)

1 hour ago, BruceinSanity said:

The fact that water is the first ingredient says it all, really. Most of the rest of the ingredients probably account for another 5% by weight, so what you are buying is around 45% water.

You can't beat a nice bit of tasty water. 

1 hour ago, BruceinSanity said:

Which means that water could be 26%, however how do you make pastry or gravy without it?

9 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Last mutton we had was when we were in Scotland on the island of Kerrara. Was reared on the farm a couple of hundred metres from where the boat was moored. 

It wasn't overly expensive but it was very tasty. 

Struggled to find it since. We have been using goat instead.

I went to a restaurant this week that were serving Hoggett but I wasn't prepared to pat that sort of money for it. One of the most expensive dishes on the menu

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I went to a restaurant this week that were serving Hoggett but I wasn't prepared to pat that sort of money for it. One of the most expensive dishes on the menu

Hoggett is common in NZ and it tastes fine but I've had mutton over here, to be fair this was proper mutton, a ewe passed her best for breeding and, well, hmmmm it wasn't something I want to repeat

9 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Hoggett is common in NZ and it tastes fine but I've had mutton over here, to be fair this was proper mutton, a ewe passed her best for breeding and, well, hmmmm it wasn't something I want to repeat

Its hard to fine ether Hoggett or Mutton these days, also goat. I have bought them live and had them slaughtered in the past but now its also hard to find a slaughter house that will take one animal

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Its hard to fine ether Hoggett or Mutton these days, also goat. I have bought them live and had them slaughtered in the past but now its also hard to find a slaughter house that will take one animal

There's a few about still, one of the few times I was stopped by the police when driving I was in a legal but very scruffy car, on a very hot day, with 3 butchered lambs in the boot, fresh from the local abattoir. 

I was very very polite,  luckily he didn't ask me to open the boot :)

3 hours ago, tree monkey said:

I tried a stew made out of tinned ingredients once and it tasted like a stew made out of tinned ingredients,  gopping

In an emergency go to the chippy

Unless of course you have some secret that I don't know about :)

That's great if you are moored near a chippy!

Get stuck somewhere with no observing food or take out and it isn't funny.

This topic has reminded me I need to stock up our food cupboard with some emergency rations though.

48 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Our local butcher will do the one animal.

He does the pigs from our new favourite farm shop The Little Sausage Shop. 

Also another one up the road in Oxspring.

Edited by Naughty Cal

42 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

That's great if you are moored near a chippy!

Get stuck somewhere with no observing food or take out and it isn't funny.

This topic has reminded me I need to stock up our food cupboard with some emergency rations though.

Our local butcher will do the one animal.

He does the pigs from our new favourite farm shop The Little Sausage Shop. 

Also another one up the road in Oxspring.

What is he a licenced slaughterer?

16 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

What is he a licenced slaughterer?

Yes both are small scale butchers with their own abbatoirs on site. Long established family butchers selling local meat.

Can't beat it. Most of the meat comes from a 10 mile radius of the shops.

2 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Yes both are small scale butchers with their own abbatoirs on site. Long established family butchers selling local meat.

Can't beat it. Most of the meat comes from a 10 mile radius of the shops.

Not many about these days, that is why animal travel miles to be slaughtered  

Best shop pie I've had in ages are those Charlie Brigham pies. You buy them in Waitrose, but only on special. You'd not buy them or afford to buy them full price, only when they're yellow labeled or otherwise discounted. But they're marvellous. They actually taste of pie rather than cow lips and arse holes.

And you get to keep the bowl it's cooked in too - useful for sticking peanuts in or another pie.

9 minutes ago, welly said:

Best shop pie I've had in ages are those Charlie Brigham pies. You buy them in Waitrose, but only on special. You'd not buy them or afford to buy them full price, only when they're yellow labeled or otherwise discounted. But they're marvellous. They actually taste of pie rather than cow lips and arse holes.

And you get to keep the bowl it's cooked in too - useful for sticking peanuts in or another pie.

Why would anyone want to stick peanuts into a bowl? How would you get them out again to eat them?