Parking in Willington

john6767

Featured Posts

We will need to leave a car in Willington (T&M) for a few days.  Street view shows off road parking by the services.  There allso appears to be on road parking on the access road to the station car park.  Does anyone know if either of these locations are ok to leave a car, or could suggest a better location?

4 minutes ago, john6767 said:

We will need to leave a car in Willington (T&M) for a few days.  Street view shows off road parking by the services.  There allso appears to be on road parking on the access road to the station car park.  Does anyone know if either of these locations are ok to leave a car, or could suggest a better location?

Mercia Marina has a largish car park that serves visitors. Unless things have changed I don't think there is anything to prevent you parking there for a few days. 

5 minutes ago, MJG said:

Mercia Marina has a largish car park that serves visitors. Unless things have changed I don't think there is anything to prevent you parking there for a few days. 

I guess that is an option but it does seem a bit cheeky and of course they could well clamp it and demand more than the car is worth for release!  We had the boat in there for a month last summer, I am familier with the layout, so will think about it if the other locations seem dodgy, but it am hoping it is a reasonably safe location anyway.

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

I thought that the parking by the services were for the off side private moorings.

7 hours ago, Flyboy said:

I thought that the parking by the services were for the off side private moorings.

Yes they are. There's the public car park canalside beyond the Dragon which should be as safe as any public space. If you want to be really secure, then a call to Mercia would probably get permission in exchange for giving some custom to one of the outlets or for a small(ish) sum.

11 hours ago, john6767 said:

I guess that is an option but it does seem a bit cheeky and of course they could well clamp it and demand more than the car is worth for release!  We had the boat in there for a month last summer, I am familier with the layout, so will think about it if the other locations seem dodgy, but it am hoping it is a reasonably safe location anyway.

What is wrong with having a word with the marina and offering to pay to park (shock horror) for a few days? There as a reasonable chance they'll say "no, you're OK" and if they do charge you, you know you are legitimate. Stress free either way.  

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

Yes they are. There's the public car park canalside beyond the Dragon which should be as safe as any public space. If you want to be really secure, then a call to Mercia would probably get permission in exchange for giving some custom to one of the outlets or for a small(ish) sum.

Do you mean the parking through the gate that is for the offside moorings?  It is not those that I meant, it is the lay-by right by the services that I meant, there does not on street view seem to be any signs there restricting parking there.

By the public car park do you mean the one that google labels as the station car park, if that has no time limits on it then that would be fine, is the the access road to that car park that I mentioned.

Not really worried about security with the crap car we will leave there, so the marina seems unnecessary if there are alternatives, and it a bit of a walk to the marina from the station.

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

What is wrong with having a word with the marina and offering to pay to park (shock horror) for a few days? There as a reasonable chance they'll say "no, you're OK" and if they do charge you, you know you are legitimate. Stress free either way.  

Mercia staff were always very friendly and helpful (is Robert still the boss there I wonder?), I suspect if you asked, explained you are aboater they would say park for free or a small token charge, but also yes as a courtesy a patronage to one of the outlets on site would probably help. 

48 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Do you mean the parking through the gate that is for the offside moorings?  It is not those that I meant, it is the lay-by right by the services that I meant, there does not on street view seem to be any signs there restricting parking there.

By the public car park do you mean the one that google labels as the station car park, if that has no time limits on it then that would be fine, is the the access road to that car park that I mentioned.

Not really worried about security with the crap car we will leave there, so the marina seems unnecessary if there are alternatives, and it a bit of a walk to the marina from the station.

TBH if I had a choice I wouldn't be leaving my car down there (crap or not) - I don't recall it being particularly well lit at night, but I accept it's a while since I have been down there so it may be better now.

The marina is a bit of a walk from the centre of Willngton, agreed but it's not a huge distance, unless perhaps you were carrying something heavy maybe.

Edited by MJG

42 minutes ago, john6767 said:

That layby for nearby moorers to access the services, wouldn't like to park there.

Yes, it'll be the one Google calls the station car park, no charges there, but as MJG says, dark at night. Don't block the gate at the fare end, that's a Network Rail lineside access.

22 minutes ago, MJG said:

Robert still the boss there I wonder?

Yes he is, still going strong.

On 22/05/2018 at 12:41, MHS said:

We have left cars on 2 or 3 occasions for 2 or 3 days at the big car park in Willington. There’s normally plenty of cars there and we’ve not had any issues. 

Thanks, good to know.  That is what I had decided to do, but we have been forced to change our plans a bit, so may not need to do this now.