Bought a boat - when should the licence start?

starman

Featured Posts

I've just bought a boat so the previous owner has had his licence money refunded from CRT and I'm responsible for re-licensing. But when should the licence start? He is only refunded complete months which will mean from June onwards but when I try to re-licence on-line I'm told I must licence from May - which means CRT is paid twice for the month.

Surely this can't be right? Has anyone been through this and know what the official word is?

9 minutes ago, starman said:

I've just bought a boat so the previous owner has had his licence money refunded from CRT and I'm responsible for re-licensing. But when should the licence start? He is only refunded complete months which will mean from June onwards but when I try to re-licence on-line I'm told I must licence from May - which means CRT is paid twice for the month.

Surely this can't be right? Has anyone been through this and know what the official word is?

You licence it from the first of the month you owned it just as with cars. Its a clever way of CRT and DVLA making more money innitt. Welcome to the world of boating.

1 minute ago, MartynG said:

License it from 1st June. That way you will get the prompt payment discount.

I believe he said he'd tried to but couldn't.

3 minutes ago, MartynG said:

License it from 1st June. That way you will get the prompt payment discount.

He owns it in may so they will expect the licence fee from may first.

5 minutes ago, MJG said:

I believe he said he'd tried to but couldn't.

I was doing it on-line and the process didn't prevent me, just flagged up that I should have started it in May. Maybe I should just carry on and argue afterwards? After all we're talking about £75 for the extra month licence plus the loss of prompt payment discount of £100 - not small change.

Edited by starman

2 minutes ago, starman said:

I was doing it on-line and the process didn't prevent me, just flagged up that I should have started it in May. Maybe I should just carry on and argue afterwards? After all we're talking about £75 for the extra month licence plus the loss of prompt payment discount of £100 - not small change.

It does seem wrong that if you have just bought the boat and you are licensing it as soon as you have bought it that you should not get the prompt payment discount.  It could just be that to online system does not deal with this, why not try calling then in the morning.

11 minutes ago, starman said:

I suspect you will have been prevented from doing so at some point but I could be wrong. However I wonder what would happen if you had deferred doing the application to june 1st to licence the boat (and gave that date as the day it changed hands) ??

Edited by MJG

6 minutes ago, MJG said:

I suspect you will have been prevented from doing so at some point but I could be wrong. However I wonder what would happen if you had deferred doing the application to june 1st to licence the boat (and gave that date as the day it changed hands) ??

Too late now - the owner notified them of the sale!

Just now, starman said:

Too late now - the owner notified them of the sale!

It strikes me people need to start agreeing between them only to transfer ownership on the 1st of the month, unless of course the seller would then still be charged for the whole of June If they did that?

Just now, MartynG said:

I doubt C&RT will bother you if you license the boat from 1st June. 

And even if they do, you'll have obtained the pre-payment discount which probably exceeds the missing month they are chasing you for!

Are you thinking of going on Environment Agency Rivers, like the Thames? CRT and EA issue a Gold licence which is cheaper than buying an EA weekly, monthly licence. Gold licences are only from Jan to Dec. 

If you'll be going on EA rivers, and decided on a Gold Licence, then suggest you phone CRT licence dept, and buy a normal CRT license on a monthly DD until you can buy the Gold licence in January. 

Edited to add - if it's economical, a Gold Licence can be backdated to last January.

Edited by Jennifer McM

1 hour ago, starman said:

You need to licence it from when you make it public you own it.

The issue as to whether you can apply to licence it and as of when, all relies on where it is now.

If it's on the bank or non C&RT waters then you can apply for 1st June and then bring it onto C&RT waters as of then, and not before.

If however it is already on C&RT waters and you are the owner then you are required (so far as they are concerned) to licence it immediately.

That will be from 1st May, and obviously you'll not be eligible for prompt payment as it's already 20th today.

As to whether you, I or anybody thinks it's fair or not …… thems is the rules.  It didn't use to be, but we are where we are.

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, pete harrison said:

I licensed my newly acquired boat on the telephone, and following a sensible conversation got the prompt payment discount as I paid in full at that time.....

That would be my approach.  I have only contacted CRT on a few occasions, but each and every time I've found them to be entirely reasonable and most helpful.  

All solved by a phone call - the boat hadn't been licensed so I couldn't escape paying for May but I did qualify for a prompt payment discount as a new owner.