Painting wood for the outside

Featured Posts

Got this board in the cratch which is rotting away and one of my spring cleaning jobs is to replace it.

Firstly, what kind of wood should I replace it with (was thinking of just a normal bit of planed softwood from Travis Perkins).

Secondly, what should I treat the replacement piece of wood with so it'll be happy outside?

And thirdly, what paint is suitable? I was just going to get a tin of International boat paint, the same stuff as I had on my boat when I moved on.

LRM_EXPORT_20180520_184253-1518x2024.jpg

Great stuff, that answers the same question about my table in the cratch.

Although I want to repaint the flowers. I have limited artistic skills but willing to learn!

IMG_20180520_185256-1214x1619.jpg

Thanks Ray! I reckon I might order a DVD. In fact, my girlfriend's birthday is coming up and she expressed some interest in learning to paint roses. ?

18 minutes ago, welly said:

Although I want to repaint the flowers. I have limited artistic skills but willing to learn!

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to get either transfers to go on top of a painted surface (which you could varnish over), or buy a reusable stencil that you just dab some acrylic (waterproof) paint over. Search Amazon for 'flower stencil'.

Edited by ronnietucker

I have built lots of cratch frames in Keruing, it doesn't rot, takes a micropourous wood stain well and is easy to work.

It is not too expensive either.

Painting softwoods locks in moisture and creates the best environment for rot.

6 minutes ago, Ray T said:

The Book shop at Braunston Bottom Lock sells "Canal transfers" http://www.boatshopbraunston.co.uk/canal-transfers.html

However to me, nothing beats the sense of accomplishment in painting them yourself.  Not the world's best but I like it.

DSCF5801.jpg

That's nice work! Much better than I can expect to do. Will have to pick up a copy of the dvd though.

I have found that the only way to stop timber structures shedding their paint every two years is to laminate the surface with a layer glass fibre, and overcoat the paintwork with Yacht Varnish. I did that to my deck board and the paint was still in pristine condition after seven years. Here they are seven years after being painted :-

EXT 07.jpg