New Waitrose almost on the Oxford

Jennifer McM

Featured Posts

It's a new Waitrose, well at least Google Maps haven't picked it up yet. We were visiting Halfords in Banbury, and were pleased to discover the new(ish) Waitrose. It's got a very nice cafe too. 

There was a question on this forum about shops near Banbury, can't find the thread now, but it's worth making a note that Waitrose is accessible.

waitrose.jpg

23 minutes ago, Loddon said:

You've got to be rich to shop in Waitrose even their cheap range is expensive. 

The term "expensive" sounds as if it costs more than it should. It certainly costs more than the cheapest elsewhere, the question is, do you get more quality including a reasonable deal for the supplier that justifies the additional cost?  And is the saving critical to you? For many people it is, but for many people it is not, they can afford to pay a little more, otherwise they wouldn't be driving the expensive cars that they do.  But it is fashionable to chase the low price on food at present, even amongst those for whom it is not critical.

• Greenie 1

40 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Have to say I don't normally shop in Waitrose, nor M&S, but I am tempted on a hot day like it was on Sunday, when tins of beer (we ran out), and fresh English strawberries beckoned. Sometimes, a Waitrose is better than nothing.

I chase the lowest price on just about everything I buy, not lowest quality just lowest price. 

Oh and I drive an 8 year old Skoda so hardly an expensive car. But it is quality. 

Edited by Loddon

4 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Have to say I don't normally shop in Waitrose, nor M&S, but I am tempted on a hot day like it was on Sunday, when tins of beer (we ran out), and fresh English strawberries beckoned. Sometimes, a Waitrose is better than nothing.

Tins of beer, good god woman, beer should only be on draught or in bottles with sediment in the bottom never in tins. 

• Greenie 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

Tins of beer, good god woman, beer should only be on draught or in bottles with sediment in the bottom never in tins. 

Sort of agree... draught (cask) is far and away the best, but a bit impractical on the boat, and tins are better than nothing (though that depends on what's in them). Bottles are a good compromise, but surely not only with a sediment?

I remember Guinness having a sediment years ago, maybe it still does? And I remember Worthington White Shield. Are there any other bottle-conditioned beers easily available?

2 hours ago, Loddon said:

Maybe but it is one of the few places that stock Black Bomber cheese from Snowdonia and that's a good enough reason for me to go there occasionally

Edited by jonesthenuke

8 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Sort of agree... draught (cask) is far and away the best, but a bit impractical on the boat, and tins are better than nothing (though that depends on what's in them). Bottles are a good compromise, but surely not only with a sediment?

I remember Guinness having a sediment years ago, maybe it still does? And I remember Worthington White Shield. Are there any other bottle-conditioned beers easily available?

Lots of bottle conditioned beers available in any supermarket and not all of them good since it became a bit of a marketing ploy. Some excellent beers in cans too. Flavour is the only criterion to be used to judge quality.

JP

3 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Lots of bottle conditioned beers available in any supermarket and not all of them good since it became a bit of a marketing ploy. Some excellent beers in cans too. Flavour is the only criterion to be used to judge quality.

JP

I had quite a number of cans of Adnams Ghost Ship on't boat last summer when it was on a good offer and it didn't bother me in the slightest that it was tinned. Admittedly it was not as good as draught bigger in a pub in Southwold but it was still recogizably, and very enjoyably, Adnams. And I can't easily get mebote to Southwold.

34 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

I had quite a number of cans of Adnams Ghost Ship on't boat last summer when it was on a good offer and it didn't bother me in the slightest that it was tinned. Admittedly it was not as good as draught bigger in a pub in Southwold but it was still recogizably, and very enjoyably, Adnams. And I can't easily get mebote to Southwold.

Visited the brewery earlier this year,all very modern 

On 20/05/2018 at 16:57, Jennifer McM said:

It's a new Waitrose, well at least Google Maps haven't picked it up yet. We were visiting Halfords in Banbury, and were pleased to discover the new(ish) Waitrose. It's got a very nice cafe too. 

There was a question on this forum about shops near Banbury, can't find the thread now, but it's worth making a note that Waitrose is accessible.

waitrose.jpg

I do not trust your cartographer. Where is this "Cropedy" in the middle of Babury?

10 hours ago, Lily Rose said:

We can get out boat there and always enjoy the Adnams when we go. Beautiful place.

On ‎20‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 16:57, Jennifer McM said:

waitrose.jpg

And that's not Tom Rolt footbridge either...…..

quality

On 21/05/2018 at 19:36, Loddon said:

Only expensive if your a tightwad, You must be Yorkshireman.

Some of the own label products are good value as well as good quality.

Waitrose waterproof clothing detergent  Only £3.00 630ml bottle which is cheaper than the Nixwax or Granger product and better.

Then there are the waitrose sausages hardy expensive @ £3.29 pack (Some of the favours are on offer @ £2.00 pack) My own two choices are Pork Squash & Kale and Pork Black Pepper $ Nutmeg, Two new favours are out, which we are BBQ this weekend. Curried Pork Lentil & Spinach and  Hickory Pork & Butter Bean. If I push the boat out I go for the free range Gloster Old Spot.

So you see not evely thing is expensive in store that's just put a round to keep the riff raff out.  Waitrose do have many offers each month so even cheaper.

You have to remember some of the supermarket chains are driving their suppiers into ground to reduce the price in store. Look at the number of farmers that have gone bust in the last few years.

1 minute ago, nbfiresprite said:

You have to remember some of the supermarket chains are driving their suppiers into ground to reduce the price in store. Look at the number of farmers that have gone bust in the last few years.

That's such a good point! We should be looking after our farmers, old Chinese proverb "Man with empty belly only has one problem!" 

On 21/05/2018 at 20:26, Loddon said:

Cans are the new bottles!

Cans weigh less

Cans take up less space

Cans keep beer fresher and don't skunk beer like bottles do

You can still "bottle" condition beer in cans (the sediment is yeast) (except you're can conditioning, obviously)

For the hippies, canned beer is more carbon neutral due to space/weight reduction. 

They can deliver more cans at once - figures suggest transporting canned beer emits 20% less greenhouse gases than bottles.

Cans have more space for better design/branding

Cans are the new bottles!

Draught > Can > Bottle > No Beer