Unexpected Expenditure

Parahandy

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

Its been absolutely great trawling through everyones contributions , why cant I ever be moored near some of you Blokes in my time of need ? ? I have rechecked all the connections and they are all visually perfect , in addition the New Battery seems to be turning the starter over with more vigour . 

Maybe the battery was knackered after all??

2 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

Thats my thoughts on it .

I have on several occasions in my life stupidly bought a new car battery thinking it was knackered. And several times the nerw one had been GREAT until it too rran flat after a fortnight due to a loose fan belt or dying alternator.

I never seem to learn. It is fiendishly difficult to spot the difference between a dead battery and one that simply needs charging.  

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I never seem to learn. It is fiendishly difficult to spot the difference between a dead battery and one that simply needs charging.  

Wot you need geezer, is a smartgauge!

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Yep. Car, caravan, yacht, yurt,tent,campervan,motorhome, horsebox, glider, paraglider, donkey......................you know it makes sense!

.....tell me more about this 'smartgauge' please - and are they OK for my ride-on mower ?

Just now, Horace42 said:

.....tell me more about this 'smartgauge' please - and are they OK for my ride-on mower ?

I would think if it has a typical 12V battery, then it should be ok. You may be better off fitting three though!:)

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I have on several occasions in my life stupidly bought a new car battery thinking it was knackered. And several times the nerw one had been GREAT until it too rran flat after a fortnight due to a loose fan belt or dying alternator.

I agree Mike and time will tell , I won't be shy in Posting if it does indeed prove to be the Alternator .

I had the starter battery in a Landrover fail with similar lack of warning.

After being parked overnight in sub zero temperatures (-5C, IIRC) , it started the Tdi 200 without any problem. ( and also without pre-heat, as the heater plugs weren't connected.) Drove to the petrol station and filled with diesel, and total deadness when trying to start again. Got a tow start, which got me home. Battery voltage was a healthy 12.8V or so, until the key was turned to start, when it dropped to 3V or so. (measured on the battery terminals, before anyone asks!)

I reckon it had gone high resistance internally, but had done so without any warning. 

It's been my experience over the years that once a starter batt hasn't been fully charged for a while then it's not the end, it's not even the end of the beginning, but it is the beginning of the end. All seems well after a full charge but as the winter sets in it is, finally, the end. 

THE END

My starter battery also failed this trip, one cell down, so had to jump start until I got to Thorne Marine who had one waiting for me. I now have a sealed starter battery, but as I never ever added water to the old one hopefully it will be fine. Before you ask the old one didn't fail due to lack of water.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Or just one correctly calibrated SmartGauge. Trouble is, they don't seem to make them any more.  

He states, without a single shred of evidence to back up the assertion.

(In fact in direct contradiction to what Merlin themselves posted.)

14 hours ago, rusty69 said:

I would think if it has a typical 12V battery, then it should be ok. You may be better off fitting three though!:)

14 hours ago, cereal tiller said:

Yup ,Ride on Bro.

The mower is fine. The battery is fine. But I would like to know what a smartgauge is please.

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

He states, without a single shred of evidence to back up the assertion.

(In fact in direct contradiction to what Merlin themselves posted.)

Other than the two I've already purchased, both of which are wrongly factory-calibrated.

And I invited Merlin to contact me to put them both right. Nothing. Zilch. No contact from them. 

17 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

You don't need one for a mower, i was joking 

http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/smartgauge.html

Sorry about that, my frivolous comment about my mower invited jokes and detracted from the serious question. Thanks for the link.

So that's what it is.  I have already got a similar meter on my boat. I use it all the time - mainly set on  '% capacity' so I always see how well the batteries are charged.

... as an aside the mower start problems were solved - albeit eventually as a last resort I had to read the instructions.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Horace42 said:

I have already got a similar meter on my boat.

Similar or the same? If it’s part of an Ah counting device then it’ll be telling you lies, which will only become bigger lies as time progresses. 

On 20/05/2018 at 09:30, roland elsdon said:

You have to start the engine for a shower?

solar bag

bucket

12  v  camping shower pump and rose.  Put pump in bucket

Plug in cigar socket

sun provides hot water and power

sounds of silence

i can hear the church bells as I finish my holy shower.

tomorrow when I boat I'll get the hot water off the immersion

softy.  take a long cold shower - it's good for you.

21 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Similar or the same? If it’s part of an Ah counting device then it’ll be telling you lies, which will only become bigger lies as time progresses. 

Don't start im off again (you know who....... And I don't mean Lord Voldemort).