Midgham lock K&A

Richard T

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

Yes Kennet and Avon canal boaters society (or something like that)

Facebook suggests that the boat was refloated by the owners/friend last night but there is still a padlock on the gates and CaRT don't have the time to remove it till later.

.............Dave

I've had a notice that the boat has been refloated and the Lock is open. Obviously doesn't say if the owner refloated it of the 'rescue team'.

However, Aldermaston Lock is out of use, or it was according to the last published notice.

2 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

I've had a notice that the boat has been refloated and the Lock is open. Obviously doesn't say if the owner refloated it of the 'rescue team'.

However, Aldermaston Lock is out of use, or it was according to the last published notice.

Looks like it was done at 4:30 am with help from the local fuel boat. Quite a few of the older boats sink on the K&A and some of the local community have got quite expert at refloatings.

..............Dave

On 20/05/2018 at 20:55, dmr said:

I look at those big houses and dream "If I had worked harder and had wealthy parents and/or no principals I could have owned one of those houses", I could sit in those big rooms and watch the boats going past, but hold on, I am the boat that's going past, its my boat and I live on it.

You can live next to the water, or you can live on the water.

(ok if I had one of those houses I would rent it out and buy more boats)

..............Dave

Most of em have a boat too.

23 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Most of em have a boat too.

Yes and most of them boats lie there unused, month in month out. Always seems sad to see a riverside house with an unused boat at the end of the garden.

Another effect is when one plonks a boat at the end of one's riverside garden, it immediately obstructs one's view of the river. So although one is paying for a riverside garden, one on longer actually quite has one.  

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes and most of them boats lie there unused, month in month out. Always seems sad to see a riverside house with an unused boat at the end of the garden.

Another effect is when one plonks a boat at the end of one's riverside garden, it immediately obstructs one's view of the river. So although one is paying for a riverside garden, one on longer actually quite has one.  

Ahh but the object of having a boat at the bottom of ones garden  has nothing to do with boating. Its there so you can mention it to other chaps at the golf club!!

17 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Ahh but the object of having a boat at the bottom of ones garden  has nothing to do with boating. Its there so you can mention it to other chaps at the golf club!!

Ah yes. I took a walk yesterday along the thames outside tesco in Reading, and already those signs are being ignored. Must have been five boats right on the new pontoon and another five on the same stretch but off in the rough mooring. But I digress. One of these boats on the tesco pontoon was one of these Thames end-of-garden type big-uns, a twin screw Birchwood 37 IIRC. 

Anyway he slipped his lines just as I walked by and as he started making way I heard the whoop whoop of his bow thruster. WTF? A bow thruster a twin engined boat? The world is going to the dogs, I ask you.... grrrr.....