Lister STW3 injector fuel bleed

tstore

Featured Posts

Hi all

Had a River and Canal Rescue out twice now with no progress on getting the engine started. First, they told me to drain the fuel tank and get rid of fuel problems (diesel bug), this was done but now saying suspected air lock and need to bleed fuel injectors. However, they say major parts of the engine need to be removed to do this as fuel injector bleed screws are inaccessible. Anyone got any experience of this with this please to offer me some advice to get resolved to get the engine started again?

Thanks

What engine is it?

I had a similar experience with calling RCR out, he basically didn't want to get his hands dirty on site, then asked me if I could get it towed in some 5 miles away so he could get the right tools on the engine to get a stubborn bolt out from my starter motor. He didn't have a cordless grinder or saw to cut around a broken/ useless starter. Saying he couldn't do it.

I was paying for him to attend my boat from 6 miles away, borrow a spanner because he hadn't got a 13mm in his tool box,(somebody had apparently not put it back in his box after using it).

Then told me he couldn't do anything on site and it would need to be towed in for better access of tools.

He really p****d me off so I put him on his way and rang RCR  5 minutes after he left. It's worth pointing out that I am not a member and I had agreed to pay £294 for possible parts and 2 hours labour, with a possibility of another £25 per extra 30 mins including travel time.

It took 45 mins to come 6 miles down a main road with no hold ups, I think he must have stopped at McDonald's for a breakfast on the way by that time lag.

Anyway sorry to bore you with my experience, but the moral is,

I got a local car mechanic to start the engine in 20 mins with some checking of bleed lines to the filter, then opening all 4 injectors a 1/4 of a turn. Try ignition again to fuel a bit further, finally then as the finale, tighten the injectors and using a bit of easy start in the air filter to get it going.

The engine was a 1.8 D BMC (sherpa) which self bleeds once you get it going.

This was 2 weeks ago and it's started first time each time since.

Edited by Karen Lea Rainey

I'm in Aldridge marina, Walsall. Not that mechanical tbh so looking for someone who knows how to resolve what I think is not a major problem. He showed me where the injector bleed values are and why he couldn't reach them without major removal of parts. Tried easy start with no success. He was with me for 2 hours and he did try hard.

3 minutes ago, tstore said:

I'm in Aldridge marina, Walsall. Not that mechanical tbh so looking for someone who knows how to resolve what I think is not a major problem. He showed me where the injector bleed values are and why he couldn't reach them without major removal of parts. Tried easy start with no success. He was with me for 2 hours and he did try hard.

Therre's another way a bit simpler than bleeding the actual injector pumps which often works on these engines. Remove the three valve covers on top of the engine, ''2 nuts to each'', under there you will find the three injectors. Slacken the 3 large fuel input pipe nuts on each. Turn engine over on the starter, but not for too long, say 30 secs at a time and then pause for a while before trying again for fear of overheating the starter motor. watching the nuts you've slackened for fuel oozing out, when all three are oozing out fuel tighten up the pipe nuts and replace the covers and start up.

1 hour ago, Karen Lea Rainey said:

I got a local car mechanic to start the engine in 20 mins with some checking of bleed lines to the filter, then opening all 4 injectors a 1/4 of a turn. Try ignition again to fuel a bit further, finally then as the finale, tighten the injectors and using a bit of easy start in the air filter to get it going.

The engine was a 1.8 D BMC (sherpa) which self bleeds once you get it going.

This was 2 weeks ago and it's started first time each time since.

An RCR man didn't know that there are 2 bleed screws on a BMC 1.8D injector pump? Shameful. ... Takes 5 minutes from a completely dry fuel system to running if you do it properly.