Webasto or Espacher

lesrollins

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Tonka said:

The cheaper ones on ebay are often not marine units but motor home units. Make sure you get a marine one. Have you got a header tank and fuel pipe from the tank etc

May I ask why it must be a marine one? My ebay one as with others runs faultlessly. Do you think putting a marine sticker on an item and doubling the price is what the seller on ebay should do?

44 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

May I ask why it must be a marine one? My ebay one as with others runs faultlessly. Do you think putting a marine sticker on an item and doubling the price is what the seller on ebay should do?

A marine unit has a different ECU in it and will cut off at a different voltage level (thus saving the battery) to a motorhome unit. Also the warranty on a marine unit is 3 years when fitted to a boat. there are other differences. NMEA of this parish can tell you all the differences

2 hours ago, Tonka said:

A marine unit has a different ECU in it and will cut off at a different voltage level (thus saving the battery) to a motorhome unit. Also the warranty on a marine unit is 3 years when fitted to a boat. there are other differences. NMEA of this parish can tell you all the differences

I agree re the voltage difference but in reality its an unecesary extra expense. I never allow my batteries to get anywhere near the level where the webasto will damage them and they absolutely never on a bad day go below 12.2 volts and usualy very rarely below 12.4 so its more a case of misuse that damages the batteries. I actualy thought though that the marine unit operated at a lower voltage than other units and was more likely to be detrimental to batteries? There are many scare stories re so called marine this or that which in reality are a great way for manufacturers to skim extra profit for no extra outlay. One major one that springs to mind is a bog standard cheapo battery that gets a label stuck on with the word " Marine " and hey presto a thirty percent increase in price. Just sayin like. If as I and others have found the blokes units on fleabay actualy give sterling service then they are fit for purpose :cheers:

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Grassman said:

I've been looking at the Hurricane but some say they are noisier than the likes of Webasto and Eberspatchers. Anyone know if this is true?

YES. This boat had a hurricane when I bought it. They are very good and produce copious quantities of hot stuff and heating very very quickly. HOWEVER yesterday on the Thames directly under the airport flightpath with lots of planes taking off and landing it was quieter than my hurricane used to be. They are without doubt MUCH noisier and MUCH more expensive but they are also very good at what they do.

4 hours ago, Grassman said:

I've been looking at the Hurricane but some say they are noisier than the likes of Webasto and Eberspatchers. Anyone know if this is true?

We have a Hurricane. It is in a cupboard in the back cabin and is too noisey. Seriously considering a webasto.

On 22/05/2018 at 08:31, Psycloud said:

I wonder why? Mines been running on red for 5 years and hasn't had any problems in the fuel department.  

I hope those aren't famous last words. I said the same thing about my Ebersplutter after 4 years and then it stopped working. 

On 22/05/2018 at 08:44, mrsmelly said:

Hi

I didnt fit mine but the chap who did who normaly  fits new fit kits from webasto supplier said it was all fine. There is some pre wired stuff which was longer than we needed but I reckon a message to the seller on fleabay may get you an answer re length and he may? be able to customise one for you? its worth a try. I agree with canals are us that a pucker exhaust system would be better, I do use the supplied one but bought a real one cheap from a bloke flogging a couple some time ago that I keep as a spare. All in all a good system. The programmable timer is obviously not nor does it pretend to be a webasto product but nevertheless a good bit of kit what does what it says on the tin. I think your eber fittings re exhaust etc will all be useable. The ones on my boat were Hurricane bits that had been fitted previously and my fitter didnt need to making any more or different holes in the hull :cheers: 

Thanks for the advice.

On 22/05/2018 at 16:10, canals are us? said:

As you have the rads and fuel feed, then easy if good at DIY. The wiring with the kit is simply plug and play and all pre wired and labelled. My heater is on one side of the boat and batteries the other and battery loom was right length. From memory 4 metre loom from relay/fuses to timer and 3 metre from webasto to batteries.

The heater is plumbed in using SAE heater hose to connect the heater to your heating pipework. Fill with inhibitor/ antifreeze mix with 25% strength antifreeze. Screwfix is the best stuff and cheap.

James:)

Thanks James

On 24/05/2018 at 10:29, mrsmelly said:

YES. This boat had a hurricane when I bought it. They are very good and produce copious quantities of hot stuff and heating very very quickly. HOWEVER yesterday on the Thames directly under the airport flightpath with lots of planes taking off and landing it was quieter than my hurricane used to be. They are without doubt MUCH noisier and MUCH more expensive but they are also very good at what they do.

Why did you get rid of your Hurricane - was it just the noise?

When they first came out they were marketed as the most reliable and resilient diesel heater of that type. I think that was at least 10 years ago - so how true was that claim?

Edited by blackrose

2 minutes ago, HOMETUNEDAVE said:

I listen to a Hurricane working at Crick boat show on Saturday didn't sound any noiser than my webasto.

I will have to try listening to a current model Hurricane then. Ours is now 10 years old and has had very little use partly because its so noisy. 

21 minutes ago, jonesthenuke said:

I will have to try listening to a current model Hurricane then. Ours is now 10 years old and has had very little use partly because its so noisy. 

Perhaps it is noisy because it does not get much use

21 hours ago, blackrose said:

Why did you get rid of your Hurricane - was it just the noise?

When they first came out they were marketed as the most reliable and resilient diesel heater of that type. I think that was at least 10 years ago - so how true was that claim?

When i bought this boat the hurricane was the only form of heating and was VERY noisey. In fairness it had done several thousand hours. I fitted a squirrel and shortly after the hurricane failed. I had it checked over at calcutt and it wasnt worth fixing so as it was then secondary heating mainly due to cost and noise I replaced with the webasto which I had on a previous boat and liked. I reckon they probably are as claimed but the price and noise put me off when replacement was required. :cheers:

10 hours ago, HOMETUNEDAVE said:

I listen to a Hurricane working at Crick boat show on Saturday didn't sound any noiser than my webasto.

I asked the chap at the Crick show if it was quiet because it was a newer model and he said the noise level is the same as it has always been.

Perhaps it didn't sound so noisy because it was in a tent surrounded by canvas instead of in an engine bilge surrounded by steel.

20 hours ago, HOMETUNEDAVE said:

I had a long term finger mooring next to a boat with a hurricane fitted and it was very noisy, even when I removed my hearing aids.

• Haha 1