Webasto or Espacher

lesrollins

Featured Posts

Have been advised that as a parts are difficult to get for my 2005 mikuni mx 60 I'd be best to change it for a webasto or espacher. Which is the most quietest of the two and what size would I need for a 70 ft to run both rads and heat hot water. Also looking for the one that offers a good supply of spares

2 minutes ago, NB Lola said:

Hiya,

I have a Webasto Thermotop C and cannot complain.  Easy to install and simple to maintain/ignore.

Paul

Likewise, however I have no experience of an Ebersplutter.

On 19/05/2018 at 19:37, NB Lola said:

Hiya,

I have a Webasto Thermotop C and cannot complain.  Easy to install and simple to maintain/ignore.

Paul

Likewise, 10 years old and never been serviced. I know it will eventually play up but I will leave it alone until it does. 

2 hours ago, lesrollins said:

Where are the best prices for webasto and what size would I need for hot water and rads on a 70ft

Size depends on total load, so your radiator capacity is the driver, not necessarily the length of the boat, but 5kw is a common size.  Don't go too big Les - these things last longer when they work hard.  My 4kw Eberspacher has been trouble free in a 57' boat for 8 years now and copes perfectly. When it's very cold, an hour sees the boat toasty with a tank of hot water, whilst when it's a bit milder it might be beginning to cycle, which is undesirable, so I turn it off.  I think a 5kW one would have been excess capacity. 

4 hours ago, lesrollins said:

Where are the best prices for webasto and what size would I need for hot water and rads on a 70ft

There is a bloke on fleabay selling full kits for £380 quid, you get everything needed except a header tank which I bought elsewhere for another £80 quid ish. They are sold as remanufactured so I took a punt after all the scare stories on here re different boat kits working better at lower voltages thinking it was probably going to be crap. I had it fitted by a bloke who knows hos onions. Its now worked for two full winters without fault. I bought another as a spare to plumb in when the original jacks in. Look on Fleabay the bloke sells as M P and H.

Of course you can pay loads and loads more, its your money. Look how many hundreds of positive feedbacks the bloke on fleabay  has then you decide :cheers:

I bought an MP&H webasto TTC heater kit.

I had it pack up due to coking after a short time, but didn't bother sending back as had the solid fuel stove. The coking up was possibly due to 5 year old diesel and needed commissioning at my end. I tend to run it for no more than 2 hours.

I sent it back to the seller 10 months into the 12 month warranty at the time and 10 days later was returned and fully working. No cost to me apart from postage to the seller. I was dubious about the warranty but he does stand by his guarantee and the heater has worked fantastic since.

The only thing in the kit to be aware of is the exhaust isn't a gas tight one and have changed it to the mukini 22mm one piece exhaust, on the advice of NMEA.

http://www.mikuniheating.com/Details.cfm?ProdID=105

If a cruiser stern the non gas tight probably fine providing no route for fumes into boat in engine bay. You also need the exhaust skin fitting and official 2mm internal copper fuel line.

It's a good price and works very well. 4 Rads and hot water lovely and hot. I use it as 2nd form of heating to my solid fuel stove with back boiler when not worth lighting the fire.

James:) 

Edited by canals are us?

I wouldn't mind one of these kits. How easy would it be fit myself? The fuel feed and exhaust of my old eberspacher that died is there and so is the wiring loom, although I suppose I'd have to get rid of that and fit the webasto loom? The eberspacher used to sit about 2m away from the batteries. Would the new webasto loom need to be extended? 

On 19/05/2018 at 19:51, Boater Sam said:

Eberspacher is fussy about running on red diesel for some odd reason, and noisy compared with Webasto.

Fitted lots of Webastos and had few problems, seen loads of all the other similar heaters with expensive faults.

I think issues withe heaters used to be common a few years ago when red diesel was high sulphur.  Less so more recently although a few boats locally had issues this winter.

I know people with both Eberspacher and Webasto who have had issues . One Webasto burner was only just over a year old when it coked up.

I have also seen a couple of burners that have burned or corroded though - both makes.

They seem to have a life of about 15 years or so  in leisure use  - which is slightly worrying as mine is 15 years old just now !

Webasto would be our choice.

Our Webasto was 14 years old before it needed any sort of servicing or maintenance. It costs us about £150 to replace the fan unit, burner, glow plug and gaskets and we decoked it all while it was out. Runs good as new now. In fact coupled with us replacing and lagging all of the pipework it heats the boat far better now then it did when we bought the boat at five years old.

Most of our friends have Ebersplutter and they seem to have all sorts of issues with them. 

Look up the Planar units as well. We know a couple of people who have fitted those and they seem pretty robust.

On 19/05/2018 at 19:51, Boater Sam said:

Eberspacher is fussy about running on red diesel for some odd reason

I wonder why? Mines been running on red for 5 years and hasn't had any problems in the fuel department.  

4 hours ago, blackrose said:

I wouldn't mind one of these kits. How easy would it be fit myself? The fuel feed and exhaust of my old eberspacher that died is there and so is the wiring loom, although I suppose I'd have to get rid of that and fit the webasto loom? The eberspacher used to sit about 2m away from the batteries. Would the new webasto loom need to be extended? 

Hi

I didnt fit mine but the chap who did who normaly  fits new fit kits from webasto supplier said it was all fine. There is some pre wired stuff which was longer than we needed but I reckon a message to the seller on fleabay may get you an answer re length and he may? be able to customise one for you? its worth a try. I agree with canals are us that a pucker exhaust system would be better, I do use the supplied one but bought a real one cheap from a bloke flogging a couple some time ago that I keep as a spare. All in all a good system. The programmable timer is obviously not nor does it pretend to be a webasto product but nevertheless a good bit of kit what does what it says on the tin. I think your eber fittings re exhaust etc will all be useable. The ones on my boat were Hurricane bits that had been fitted previously and my fitter didnt need to making any more or different holes in the hull :cheers: 

On 21/05/2018 at 12:31, Flyboy said:

Likewise, 10 years old and never been serviced. I know it will eventually play up but I will leave it alone until it does. 

That's the advice my surveyor gave me when I bought the boat, along with not running the Webasto for more than 1 hour in every 2 to prevent it from cycling and also to run it once a month to prevent the diesel from going stale inside it during the summer months.

In the 4 years that I have had thee boat it has never been serviced or had a fault.

The previous owner used it like domestic central heating, and had to have it repaired or serviced at least once a year at around £150 a go.

• Happy 1

6 hours ago, MartynG said:

I think issues withe heaters used to be common a few years ago when red diesel was high sulphur.  Less so more recently although a few boats locally had issues this winter.

I know people with both Eberspacher and Webasto who have had issues . One Webasto burner was only just over a year old when it coked up.

I have also seen a couple of burners that have burned or corroded though - both makes.

They seem to have a life of about 15 years or so  in leisure use  - which is slightly worrying as mine is 15 years old just now !

Indeed, since 2010 all diesel sold in the UK has had to be of the ultra low sulphur variety, and "red diesel" (previously properly called gas oil which had a lower cetane rating) is now white  diesel with a dye added.

11 hours ago, blackrose said:

As you have the rads and fuel feed, then easy if good at DIY. The wiring with the kit is simply plug and play and all pre wired and labelled. My heater is on one side of the boat and batteries the other and battery loom was right length. From memory 4 metre loom from relay/fuses to timer and 3 metre from webasto to batteries.

The heater is plumbed in using SAE heater hose to connect the heater to your heating pipework. Fill with inhibitor/ antifreeze mix with 25% strength antifreeze. Screwfix is the best stuff and cheap.

James:)