Fair

system 4-50

Featured Posts

<daydream>

Lots of us have stuff we don't need but is too good to throw away.  Selling it is hard because people need to see it and posting stuff is a pain.  What we need is a popular point on the canal network where we can leave stuff for people to browse & buy & take away.  Goods to be sold would be marked with their CWDF sellers ID and deposit date and people would be trusted to make contact via the forum & pay, leaving only their boat number(?).  Anything not sold after 2 years would be dumped.  Anyone have a suitable unused shed near the cut?  

Some items would be forbidden eg yellow ducks, certain fans, etc.

</daydream>

Not bad idea BUT where, also. Human nature being what it is you will always get unscrupulous folk you know what i mean. If i have anything for sale i just put it on the roof with a sign, sold a few items recently that way.

1 hour ago, system 4-50 said:

<daydream>

Lots of us have stuff we don't need but is too good to throw away.  Selling it is hard because people need to see it and posting stuff is a pain.  What we need is a popular point on the canal network where we can leave stuff for people to browse & buy & take away.  Goods to be sold would be marked with their CWDF sellers ID and deposit date and people would be trusted to make contact via the forum & pay, leaving only their boat number(?).  Anything not sold after 2 years would be dumped.  Anyone have a suitable unused shed near the cut?  

Some items would be forbidden eg yellow ducks, certain fans, etc.

</daydream>

I like that idea. Locally we have more that one rural business that works on a trust basis, People sell eggs, honey, sausages and all sorts and you just take what you need and leave the agreed money in the jar on the counter. It's trusted that you wont take more than you pay for and that you will pay for what you take. it must work because these little shops have been going along time.

There may be areas of the country where this concept might work less well.   :D

Its interesting that the boat jumble idea has not got established on the cut, I used to go to quite a few boat jumbles round the Southampton area and some were really  good. There was a trend, like car boot sales, for some market trader types to turn up but there were always some good private sellers.

.............Dave

Methley chandelrey do just such a thing, have a room at the back full of boatyard stuff and customers stuff, very popular, had some real bargains.