Bargee bill prop cleaner

trundler

Featured Posts

12 hours ago, trundler said:

Hi there .

Anyone have one off these and can you recommend ? Please

And thank youn

I notice you are getting one set of advice from people with old working boats with no weedhatch, and another from modern boats with a weedhatch

What sort of boat do you have?

Richard

22 minutes ago, RLWP said:

I notice you are getting one set of advice from people with old working boats with no weedhatch, and another from modern boats with a weedhatch

We don't have a weed-hatch so carry this 'kit' along with a hacksaw, pruning secateurs and folding hand saw.

A bigger air-cylinder is available 'below' for difficult jobs.

A boon for untangling crab-pot lines. (not many of those on the T&M!!)

IMG_20160924_101238.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Just now, RLWP said:

I'll add that to our BCN Challenge kit - would have been brilliant for removing the Great Mattress of Tame

Richard

Won’t it mess up Sue’s makeup?

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

Won’t it mess up Sue’s makeup?

Aunty Sue does not do weedhatch duty on the challenge

You can discuss make-up with her if you want

Richard

• Happy 1

2 minutes ago, RLWP said:

I'll add that to our BCN Challenge kit - would have been brilliant for removing the Great Mattress of Tame

Richard

Just for interest - it is actually an emergency kit from a F1 Power Boat.

In the event of flipping / crashing and sinking it gives the crew a few minutes extra to escape the boat.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, X Alan W said:

If you can get one a "Pigs Tail"rail way shunters pole sharpened up on the inside curly bit

Still available to buy new if you can't find a secondhand one.

It's better to buy a head only, as I find a shaft a couple of feet longer than a shunter would use is much better for prop clearing.

https://richardcarterltd.co.uk/our-products/shunting-pole-hook/

George

37 minutes ago, RLWP said:

I'm not adding an F1 power boat to my kit list ^_^

Those guys are really crazy

Richard

Totally off topic.

I was watching a TV programme a few nights ago about benefit cheats.

One guy who could hardly walk and had a Doctors 'note' confirming it, actually posted pictures of some of his activities on his facebook page.

1) He was crew in an F1 power boat.

2) He was a guide and took parties of climbers up Mount Kilimanjaro

His benefits paid for his 'way of life'.

He was taken to court and ordered to repay all of his benefits.

Its no wonder the 'public' view benefits in the way they do, and that the Government impose ever increasing stipulations - another case of the 'few spoiling it for the many'

"He was crew in an F1 power boat"

Even being in a racing boat must be likely to do your back in, heaven only knows what vertical G force you get when pounding over waves

Spectacular, and no way would you catch me in one of those thngs

Richard

54 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Its no wonder the 'public' view benefits in the way they do, and that the Government impose ever increasing stipulations - another case of the 'few spoiling it for the many'

I agree with this, Most of you known that I was knocked down by a towpath terrorist in Saltaire at Easter. Leaving me with a fractured shoulder joint (ball and socket both fractured). The Consultant signed me off for three months, as I don't get sick pay from having to work through a umbrella company so placed a claim for ESA. I just been informed that as I still have use of my left arm therefore can still work, therefore my claim has been disallowed. When a DWP drone overules a Orthopaedic Consultant you know that the loons are running the system. 

2 hours ago, RLWP said:

Wuss!

When you cruise the BCN during winter, you're guaranteed to have to go down the weed hatch at some time. When the water temperature is just below freezing there's only so long you can keep your hand in the water, though I do have a pair of long pond gloves which helps a bit. 

Surely the real wusses are those that sit in front of fire when they cod be cruising. 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, pearley said:

I have the same but with a long handle do I don't have to put my hands in freezing water. 

I have a pair of over-the-elbow rubber gloves, bought from a garden centre with an ornamental pool section. Heavy enough to protect your hands from most nasties like fish hooks and thick enough to keep your hands warm.  I've also invested in a pair of short handled bolt cutters after advice on this forum.

Thank you for your suggestions . Our narrowboat has a trad stern and my skipper has to squeeze himself down into the weedhatch it so that only his head is poking out. It's getting more difficult the older he gets . I have offered to do it but apparently my stern is too large !

When I bought my boat it came with a Proper Protector fitted. It is like a circular saw blade fitted to the shaft ahead of the prop.

Intially I was cynical of it, but in the 4 years I have owned the boat I have only been down the weedhatch twice. On that first occasion I had only just got the boat when it picked up something up round the prop. The engine laboured and black smoke poured from the exhaust. I pulled up and went down the weedhatch and found... nothing. The Prop Protector had cleared it and if I hadn't been so quick to check the weedhatch I wouldn't have had to, if you see what I mean.

On the second occasion the engine stalled and I found a cratch cover wrapped around the prop. Now that took some pulling to get it through the weedhatch!

I would definitely get one fitted to any future boats I own.

4 hours ago, pearley said:

When you cruise the BCN during winter, you're guaranteed to have to go down the weed hatch at some time. 

I think it would be safe to drop the "during winter" from this.