Best mooring spots

Timx

Featured Posts

As weather is picking up, I would like to add the best mooring spot for me recently. It's before the locks on the shropshire Union canal.

its also before pubs and a shop. With a marina behind you for boaty stuff. Audlem is my place of the month. Can it be beaten for a few nights ?

image.jpeg

Know what you mean, our 'criteria' for mooring is getting longer.... there has to be a WiFi mast nearby, or an 'electric' train track for WiFi, an east to west aspect for the solars, and no mooring under trees because of solars, no mooring by an empty building (I've a slight phobia), decent towpath for the dog, within walking distance of a pub, and near to shops would be great, on the edge of a nature reserve would be brilliant, we prefer to moor with chains so we've to stop on armco - apart from that, we're not fussy ?

Edited by Jennifer McM

19 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Know what you mean, our 'criteria' for mooring is getting longer.... there has to be a WiFi mast nearby, or an 'electric' train track for WiFi, an east to west aspect for the solars, and no mooring under trees because of solars, no mooring by an empty building (I've a slight phobia), decent towpath for the dog, within walking distance of a pub, and near to shops would be great, on the edge of a nature reserve would be brilliant, we prefer to moor with chains so we've to stop on armco - apart from that, we're not fussy ?

With a list like that do you ever stop anywhere?

10 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

Blimey. I'm surprised you stop anywhere!

Provided we can get to the edge and tie the boat to something that is pretty much all we look for.

8 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Blimey. I'm surprised you stop anywhere!

Provided we can get to the edge and tie the boat to something that is pretty much all we look for.

The OP did use 'Best mooring' in the post's title. We compromise a lot ?

I can understand about not getting into the side to moor. Our worse was about this time last year on the Huddersfield Narrows, the water was so low we couldn't get within a metre of the side (needed to get 'relatively' near to the side to get our 40kg dog off the boat).  By 9.30 pm we moored up on a lock landing (explained to C&RT), then discovered the stern gland had been damaged trying to moor, and the bilge pump was being 'activated' every 5 minutes day and night. Don't think I slept much till we got to Aspley Boatyard.

3 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

The OP did use 'Best mooring' in the post's title. We compromise a lot ?

I can understand about not getting into the side to moor. Our worse was about this time last year on the Huddersfield Narrows, the water was so low we couldn't get within a metre of the side (needed to get 'relatively' near to the side to get our 40kg dog off the boat).  By 9.30 pm we moored up on a lock landing (explained to C&RT), then discovered the stern gland had been damaged trying to moor, and the bilge pump was being 'activated' every 5 minutes day and night. Don't think I slept much till we got to Aspley Boatyard.

Locals call it the Huddersfield shallow, boats that use it regularly have optional wheels fitted to the baseplate.

Thats my favourite spot too (Audlem)

We always stop there when going through

There is no better place

To get away from the rat race

Edited by kawaton
Last 2 lines added purely because the first 2 rhymed