What happens when no one 'gives way' outside Tooley's

Jennifer McM

Featured Posts

17 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

I saw the whole thing happen (in painful slow motion), thinking someone's got to give way, and that 'this was going to be interesting' - as I said, I think one of the men was a little 'vague'.

For our gender it goes with the territory. ?

7 hours ago, dmr said:

It appears to me that a large number of boaters are unable or unwilling to use reverse in order to stop their boats so instead just try to steer through gaps that don't exist. We see this several times each year, typically when meeting at a bridge 'ole or other restriction, when we are clearly first we go through but the oncoming boat fails to stop or even slow down and tries to steer round the side of us hoping against the odds to somehow tuck in behind us and get through the bridge. You can see the look of horror developing as they realise that we are much longer then 57 feet and the gap they hoped for just doesn't exist.  The worse ones are those who frantically wave us forward (even if they are closer) and still fail to stop.

...............Dave

Funny you should say that, we've been cruising up the Grand Union. Last week we came to a bridge with a narrowboat approaching from the opposite side, we were closer, and larger, it soon became obvious the narrowboat was coming through no matter what. Being the 'lovely' person I am and not wishing to get dented or dent them, I stopped our boat. Narrowboat comes bowling through with the steerer not acknowledging us, not looking at us or saying thank you.  Funny old world! 

4 minutes ago, Meanderingviking said:

Funny you should say that, we've been cruising up the Grand Union. Last week we came to a bridge with a narrowboat approaching from the opposite side, we were closer, and larger, it soon became obvious the narrowboat was coming through no matter what. Being the 'lovely' person I am and not wishing to get dented or dent them, I stopped our boat. Narrowboat comes bowling through with the steerer not acknowledging us, not looking at us or saying thank you.  Funny old world! 

Yes, it is a funny world, and you never know how people will react. Think it was the Macclesfield we were on, we were nearer the bridge than the cruiser coming towards us. Quite few people were on the cruiser, and they sounded like they were having a great party. Obviously the 'captain's mind' wasn't concentrating, so we held back, and waved him through. We were a bit surprised when they came came near to us, offering us two paper plates with a slice of birthday cake on top as a thank you. Mmmmm...... we took the delicious cake! Sometime we can get a nice surprise.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Yes, it is a funny world, and you never know how people will react. Think it was the Macclesfield we were on, we were nearer the bridge than the cruiser coming towards us. Quite few people were on the cruiser, and they sounded like they were having a great party. Obviously the 'captain's mind' wasn't concentrating, so we held back, and waved him through. We were a bit surprised when they came came near to us, offering us two paper plates with a slice of birthday cake on top as a thank you. Mmmmm...... we took the delicious cake! Sometime we can get a nice surprise.

Nice one! Most people are fine, it's just the odd one now and then........ ?

11 hours ago, dmr said:

It appears to me that a large number of boaters are unable or unwilling to use reverse in order to stop their boats so instead just try to steer through gaps that don't exist. We see this several times each year, typically when meeting at a bridge 'ole or other restriction, when we are clearly first we go through but the oncoming boat fails to stop or even slow down and tries to steer round the side of us hoping against the odds to somehow tuck in behind us and get through the bridge. You can see the look of horror developing as they realise that we are much longer then 57 feet and the gap they hoped for just doesn't exist.  The worse ones are those who frantically wave us forward (even if they are closer) and still fail to stop.

...............Dave

Worse still those who speed up to try to get there first. The bow wave is the giveaway. Even if I'm closer I hang back and wave the oncoming boat through. Sometimes there's a problem if the oncoming boater does likewise. We can be there for days.

Edited by Midnight
Speeling

16 hours ago, Midnight said:

Worse still those who speed up to try to get there first. The bow wave is the giveaway. Even if I'm closer I hang back and wave the oncoming boat through. Sometimes there's a problem if the oncoming boater does likewise. We can be there for days.

I'm one of those. If we are about equal distance from a bridge hole and I notice the bow wave fade out or missing from the other boat, I'll wind on some revs and go through.

Otherwise like you say, one can be there for ages creeping closer in case the other boat goes faster. So I do. I go faster. Ha! 

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'm one of those. If we are about equal distance from a bridge hole and I notice the bow wave fade out or missing from the other boat, I'll wind on some revs and go through.

Otherwise like you say, one can be there for ages creeping closer in case the other boat goes faster. So I do. I go faster. Ha! 

Yep that's exactly what I do. Can't be faffing about otherwise there's a risk of knocking off their rivets or breaking their windows.

55 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Yep that's exactly what I do. Can't be faffing about otherwise there's a risk of knocking off their rivets or breaking their windows.

And if I meet  boat like you and me who is clearly getting on with it, I'm entirely happy to stop and wait as I know s/he won't be long getting through.

4 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

I only get peeved when having held back for people and gone on the bottom they then press the noise making button level with my bow and push me further up the mud with the he bank destroying jet of water, and then have to get the back straight....

Start reversing off enthusiastically and immediately, this should push them into the bank as they come alongside....

On 19/05/2018 at 12:29, oats said:

Happens all over, just don't understand the mentality of some people, do they drive their cars the same way, pushing past parked cars. What is wrong with LOOKING ahead seeing what is going on then hold back. Also WHY do some have to pass so close i could touch their windows even with heaps of room you could get three+ boats accross. Its a change of attitude everywhere now days. Some not all don't care about anyone else. So sad.?

You mean this happens on narrow canals without a widebeam in sight..? ?