What happens when no one 'gives way' outside Tooley's

Jennifer McM

Featured Posts

.... and this is what happens when no one gives way... boats get stuck!

Boats were log jammed outside Tooley's in Banbury. We were moored up, when two boats passed, neither giving way! After half an hour of tugging, rocking and pulling, washing up liquid was applied..... result!

Got to say, people all pitched in, all with good humour, and the guy from Tooley's was brilliant! 

18-2.jpg

18-3.jpg

18-4.jpg

18-5.jpg

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

It is nearly always like that outside Tooleys, not helped by so many boats moored outside the dock.

It's a working dock, what do you expect. I know Matilda Rose hasn't got a working propulsion system this week.

Edited by matty40s

4 minutes ago, matty40s said:

It's a working dock, what do you expect. I know Matilda Rose hasn't got a working propulsion system this week.

Just to clarify, Matilda Rose was an 'innocent' moored boat. They did move on when the panic was over, I don't think they sustained any damage.

I think one of the boaters had a 'senior moment' and appeared 'confused' 'nuff' said!

It was great that everyone was good natured and helpful. 

1 minute ago, Jennifer McM said:

We're heading that way, thanks for the heads up! ?

I've certainly seen boats jammed there at least twice.

We are going over to our boat 'Trojan', moored just South of the town bridge, tomorrow. We'll look out for you, though I suspect you'll be through Cropredy and heading for the Northern reaches by the time we arrive in the afternoon.

21 minutes ago, matty40s said:

What I meant was boats moored on the towpath outside the dock. It is often no different above the lock at Stoke Bruerne, except that the lock only produces two boats at a time, rather than a queue of boats which have been waiting to get through the bridge at Banbury, with hardly any space to wait.

Edited by David Schweizer

1 minute ago, Athy said:

I've certainly seen boats jammed there at least twice.

We are going over to our boat 'Trojan', moored just South of the town bridge, tomorrow. We'll look out for you, though I suspect you'll be through Cropredy and heading for the Northern reaches by the time we arrive in the afternoon.

That would be lovely to say 'Hello'. We'll be sure to look out for Trojan! There's a few shops to visit before we move, though think we'll be moving a little further along nearer to Halfords as John's got a shopping list.

1 minute ago, David Schweizer said:

What I meant was boats moored on the towpath outside the dock. It is often no different above the lock at Stoke Bruerne, except that the lock only produces two boats at a time, rather than a queue of boats which have been waiting to get through the bridge at Banbury, with hardly any space to wait.

Well, at least you only get one at a time heading North because of the town lock! But the Southbound traffic can get a little on the heavy side, yes.

7 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

That looks like a hudson. I assume the owner repaired to a local hostelry and got his ‘man’ to sort it out after he had finished polishing the anchor. Matilda rose just came by dented..

Oh not dented☹️ Think their boat got shunted quite hard, there's no 'give' with granite. He did inspect his boat, but we thought he got away unscathed.

4 minutes ago, pearley said:

My first thought was why is the blue boat with the square stern so close to the boat in front. 

The boat with the square stern (man with straw hat) was trying to pull the boat away from the impact. My boat's next to him, from our boat several men were pulling with a rope, trying to get the boat to move. At the other end was a grey tug who was trying to pull the other boat away. It wasn't until washing up liquid was squeezed along the impact that the boats gave way.

4 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Can only happen when two idiots meet on a narrow bit.
"My right of way" - "No MY right of way" Is it so hard to do "After you sir" - "No after you sir"

Life's too short

I saw the whole thing happen (in painful slow motion), thinking someone's got to give way, and that 'this was going to be interesting' - as I said, I think one of the men was a little 'vague'.

Looks to me as though the Hudson was well on it’s way through the gap when the other bote decided it could fit through too. 

Curiously I had a near identical incident coming through the narrows at cropredy. A boat coming the other way failed to stop and seemed to expect to fit through a gap about 2ft wide. He was best described as ‘vague’ too. He saw nothing wrong with his attempt to pass through a gap that wasn’t there. I’m wondering if it is the same boat. 

8 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Looks to me as though the Hudson was well on it’s way through the gap when the other bote decided it could fit through too. 

Not really, there was another boat moored (in the 2nd picture) on the right, who cruised off, out of the way. Think it was a 60/40 blame towards the Hudson. Though I think the whole thing could have been avoided by either boater.

Edited by Jennifer McM

18 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Don't know the owner, I'm sure he will be on it if he has to be. However getting a hull dent out is almost impossible and pointless.

Agreed. 

And I can't imagine any boat damage that matters less. 

17 hours ago, Midnight said:

Can only happen when two idiots meet on a narrow bit.
"My right of way" - "No MY right of way" Is it so hard to do "After you sir" - "No after you sir"

Life's too short

Happens all over, just don't understand the mentality of some people, do they drive their cars the same way, pushing past parked cars. What is wrong with LOOKING ahead seeing what is going on then hold back. Also WHY do some have to pass so close i could touch their windows even with heaps of room you could get three+ boats accross. Its a change of attitude everywhere now days. Some not all don't care about anyone else. So sad.?

4 minutes ago, oats said:

Happens all over, just don't understand the mentality of some people, do they drive their cars the same way, pushing past parked cars. What is wrong with LOOKING ahead seeing what is going on then hold back. Also WHY do some have to pass so close i could touch their windows even with heaps of room you could get three+ boats accross. Its a change of attitude everywhere now days. Some not all don't care about anyone else. So sad.?

It appears to me that a large number of boaters are unable or unwilling to use reverse in order to stop their boats so instead just try to steer through gaps that don't exist. We see this several times each year, typically when meeting at a bridge 'ole or other restriction, when we are clearly first we go through but the oncoming boat fails to stop or even slow down and tries to steer round the side of us hoping against the odds to somehow tuck in behind us and get through the bridge. You can see the look of horror developing as they realise that we are much longer then 57 feet and the gap they hoped for just doesn't exist.  The worse ones are those who frantically wave us forward (even if they are closer) and still fail to stop.

...............Dave