Stilllearning

Featured Posts

• 1 year later...

Anymore ideas on this ?

Just remembered how insects really seem to love me, also can get a bit of a bad reaction from some bites. Last thing I was thinking about when about to purchase a boat.

Surely somebody makes some mosquito netting that fits above the window hopper ?

Our first boat had mesh at the hopper opening. Brilliant. Can't find it for sale anywhere. It was like a mixture of plastic and nylon. Stuck on with double sided tape. 

Over the past past few days I've been feeding these baskets. I find the tiny little ones are vicious little blighters. Got one nibble on the back of my hand, causes me a lot of grief. 

17 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Our first boat had mesh at the hopper opening. Brilliant. Can't find it for sale anywhere. It was like a mixture of plastic and nylon. Stuck on with double sided tape. 

Over the past past few days I've been feeding these baskets. I find the tiny little ones are vicious little blighters. Got one nibble on the back of my hand, causes me a lot of grief. 

Places like Home Bargains, Pound Stretcher, B&M etc have them.

They come in door or window size so you can cut them down to suit.

Some types are magnetic.

The 1st hit on Google

https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/magnetic-insect-door-screen-white-3216862

1 minute ago, NewCanalBoy said:

I don't want my boat looking like I've borrowed it from my Grandma !!

Never discount what your grandma uses or does. she has way more lifes experience,  has done way more than you have and will always know more than you do ?

• Greenie 1

32 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Places like Home Bargains, Pound Stretcher, B&M etc have them.

They come in door or window size so you can cut them down to suit.

Some types are magnetic.

The 1st hit on Google

https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/magnetic-insect-door-screen-white-3216862

Seen that stuff, good, but not the same. Will do the job. The stuff I mention was more sturdy. Plasticy. 

We have a net curtain type of thingy to go over the side doors when open. Not just for flies but also to deter eyeball contact with passers by. I'm a shy type of guy.

We used the wooden inserts last year when it was really hot. See my previous post.

We also use window netting on the doors. Use lots of fabric on the width. Have it longer than the doors to enable you to put items against them to stop the wind  blowing them  open. We find on a windy day only have one door open.

You could also use incognito incense sticks. We were advised to have them in the centre of the boat. Let the boat fill up with the smoke / aroma from them. They are supposed to keep insects away. You can buy them from Holland and Barrett. 

Hope this helps.

6 hours ago, NewCanalBoy said:

I don't want my boat looking like I've borrowed it from my Grandma !!

This is our net curtains. Standard nets with  voile curtains used as colour screen in front. I'm sure my late Grans would like them. ?

20190707_164934.jpg

6 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

You won’t be saying that when you wake up covered in mosquito bites.  Granny knows best.

She certainly does in our house, and on our boat. I'm the lucky so-and-so who married her.

Meanwhile back on topic, I'm not usually too mithered by biting insects -- they seem to prefer the Memsahib.  

There's a moral there somewhere.

5 hours ago, Steve Manc said:

This is our net curtains. Standard nets with  voile curtains used as colour screen in front. I'm sure my late Grans would like them. ?

20190707_164934.jpg

I can understand for doorways and large hatch openings. Will do something the same.

Was thinking of the window hoppers (which is what I think you call them), which I would want to keep open at night.

Edited by NewCanalBoy

On 07/07/2019 at 16:58, Steve Manc said:

20190707_164934.jpg

I can't help thinking that someone on a Gay Pride march somewhere is wondering what happened to their flag! ;)

2 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I can't help thinking that someone on a Gay Pride march somewhere is wondering what happened to their flag! ;)

Hello sea dog 

The internet is a safe place for people to take swipes at people. My better half spent a lot of time picking and sewing her choice of curtains.

At some point you and I will meet on the cut and you can tell that to my face.

11 minutes ago, Steve Manc said:

Hello sea dog 

The internet is a safe place for people to take swipes at people. My better half spent a lot of time picking and sewing her choice of curtains.

At some point you and I will meet on the cut and you can tell that to my face.

^^^^ What @Machpoint005 said above - the wink emoticon was meant to illustrate that.  There's really no need to take offence from me on either account. if/when we meet on the cut I'd prefer we just had a beer. :cheers:

If it helps, think your doorway looks rather lovely, I'm sure my Granny would have loved it as much as yours, and if it ensures a fly free environment I'm quite up for making one myself - just as I did our own rather impressive (even if I say so myself) eyelet curtains. Nowt wrong with good seamstress work (Is there even a male version of seamstress? Does anyone really mind?) from anyone of any gender or orientation in my book. :)

11 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

^^^^ What @Machpoint005 said above - the wink emoticon was meant to illustrate that.  There's really no need to take offence from me on either account. if/when we meet on the cut I'd prefer we just had a beer. :cheers:

If it helps, think your doorway looks rather lovely, I'm sure my Granny would have loved it as much as yours, and if it ensures a fly free environment I'm quite up for making one myself - just as I did our own rather impressive (even if I say so myself) eyelet curtains. Nowt wrong with good seamstress work (Is there even a male version of seamstress? Does anyone really mind?) from anyone of any gender or orientation in my book. :)

Sorry, over reacted 

• Greenie 1

31 minutes ago, NewCanalBoy said:

Has no industrious boater invented a kind of force field around the boat ? It could be activated once you have entered your boat.

If Captain Quirk has done it decades ago............

My misses gets more mosquito bites than most which is half way to what you need as if I sit near her in the evening I don’t get bitten at all.