Edgbaston Tunnel towpath reopens next week

Dave_P

Featured Posts

That's very sad. I believe CaRT had pushed for some sort of floating arrangement so that it could be easily removed at a later data if not successful, but that looks pretty solid to me. I see the main potential issue as speeding cyclists cyclists hitting pedestrians which may ultimately require a traffic light system, or even requesting cyclists to dismount!!!! which would have been a better solution in the first place.

..............Dave

37 minutes ago, dmr said:

That's very sad. I believe CaRT had pushed for some sort of floating arrangement so that it could be easily removed at a later data if not successful, but that looks pretty solid to me. I see the main potential issue as speeding cyclists cyclists hitting pedestrians which may ultimately require a traffic light system, or even requesting cyclists to dismount!!!! which would have been a better solution in the first place.

..............Dave

You should know cyclists can't read. 

43 minutes ago, dmr said:

That's very sad. I believe CaRT had pushed for some sort of floating arrangement so that it could be easily removed at a later data if not successful, 

..............Dave

I can’t see it being unsuccessful. There’s way more walkers and cyclists than boaters use it. 

4 minutes ago, pearley said:

You should know cyclists can't read. 

I noticed last year a whole load of new cycle signs erected in Stoke on Trent which are all much to small to be read by a pedestrian let alone a speeding cyclist. They are all green rather than red as I expect red is seen as to confrontational and authoritarian. They actually warn cyclists of potential hazards, such as "Beware, pedestrians also use the cycleway here and might get in your way" (not worded exactly like this, but same meaning). Nothing as radical as "Cyclists Dismount".

Maybe there should be a sign at Edgbaston  "Cyclists beware, pedestrians may be distracted by passing boats so unable to jump out of the way quickly enough" ? (is there such a thing as a only half smiley???)

..............Dave

1 hour ago, dmr said:

..............Dave

There's a piece in the latest Waterways World (I think that's where I read it) saying that the new towpath is fully demountable and has been built over the old one, which remains intact below. 

Which is quite a long way from saying that it will ever be demounted...

It is very sad and looking as it will still not be wide enough to stop two fast moving cyclists to get through without the strong possibility of crashing into each other, plus it narrows down the canal.  I think what is needed is a way of slowing down the traffic along the towpath.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, furnessvale said:

There will be precious little "enjoyment" by pedestrians in that tunnel with the increased speed of cyclists.

George

Yet another camera hungry CRT senior employee who should be working - one was enough, I assume this is our new Mids regional director - at least he now knows what a canal towpath looks like - can we assume he got to the photo op by bike