SAT NAV ( WAZE )

Parahandy

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Presumably with uninterrupted coverage

Nope. It works just fine when the phone loses coverage. Obviously it won’t know about upcoming traffic conditions at the time but drop-outs don’t tend to last long. 

It uses tiny tiny amounts of data. 

4 hours ago, NB Lola said:

I have had Waze for 3 years or so and use it in preference to my car fitted Tom Tom.  Waze is always more accurate and is great at getting me away from jams, as well as informing me about roadkill ahead!

Me too. I’ve been using it since way before Google bought it. I’d guess about 8 years now. 

42 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I tried Waze a few years ago and couldn’t get on with it, so reverted to googlemaps. The interface looks like something designed to appeal to a six year old. Has it improved since?

Can’t get on with Windows, can’t get on with Waze... you have a bit of a problem with technology don’t ya ;)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

Can’t get on with Windows, can’t get on with Waze... you have a bit of a problem with technology don’t ya ;)

Not really, I like things that actually work well, as opposed to just about. 

39 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

I got a new Vitara, dont use the sat nav much, until this morning in Macedonia when due to a highway closure i had to divert through a town, stupid thing kept trying to send me back to the highway. I guess i could have played with the settings but i found my own way quicker. Will have to try Waze on the car screen, had not thought of that.

I've got a Vitara S as well, just connect your phone to the car, it's easier with a cable but bluetooth is OK as well

1 hour ago, Clodi said:

I've got a brand new Suzuki and the sat-nav is crap. Fortunately the  car 'screen' can also display my smartphone so it's Waze all the way from now on.

I'm sure there must be some good ones but the 'in built' Sat Nav in my Antara is similarly poor, well dire actually. It takes an age to search for anything and the screen is way too low to make it safe to use so even if i could display the phone screen on it it wouldn't really help.

I must admit I prefer my dedicated Garmin not least because of it's larger sized screen. I don't like large phones so I would find the screen on my Samsung Galaxy A3 too small to use as a Sat Nav.

3 minutes ago, Clodi said:

I've got a Vitara S as well, just connect your phone to the car, it's easier with a cable but bluetooth is OK as well

I use the phone on bluetooth, that works great.

I hate the stop/start system more than the nav unit, turn it off every time i get in it.

Edited by Mike Hurley

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Not really, I like things that actually work well, as opposed to just about. 

That’s exactly what Waze does... so the problem is YOOOOOO... ;)

That’s exactly what Waze does... so the problem is YOOOOOO... ;)

Actially it’s not google maps I use. It’s i maps or something generic in my iPhone. Works FAR better than Waze. 

24 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Works FAR better than Waze. 

In what way?  I remember trying Apple maps when they first came out but they had so many errors it was a joke. I guess they’ll have addressed that by now but I’m interested in what way it is FAR better than other solutions. 

In what way?  I remember trying Apple maps when they first came out but they had so many errors it was a joke. I guess they’ll have addressed that by now but I’m interested in what way it is FAR better than other solutions. 

Ease of use. Gives a box right there to search for a postcode or other destination. Very easy and intuitive. When I first tried Waze it took me ten minutes to find out how to enter a destination. BINNED. 

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ease of use. Gives a box right there to search for a postcode or other destination. Very easy and intuitive. When I first tried Waze it took me ten minutes to find out how to enter a destination. BINNED. 

???  That’s the easiest bit.

Open Waze, click the box, enter destination (even something vague like ‘petrol station in Whitestone’) and it just, well, works. 

See the big Box that says ‘Where to?’

How much easier do you want it to be?

56633C37-05EE-48AD-81AD-2D86D9412027.png.cb39121f345bf758275b32fe0832aa24.png

47 minutes ago, MJG said:

I'm sure there must be some good ones but the 'in built' Sat Nav in my Antara is similarly poor, well dire actually. It takes an age to search for anything and the screen is way too low to make it safe to use so even if i could display the phone screen on it it wouldn't really help.

I must admit I prefer my dedicated Garmin not least because of it's larger sized screen. I don't like large phones so I would find the screen on my Samsung Galaxy A3 too small to use as a Sat Nav.

What a man you are , you dont like big Phone Screens but your ok with Big Sat Nav Screens ????? 

29 minutes ago, WotEver said:

In what way?  I remember trying Apple maps when they first came out but they had so many errors it was a joke

I used Apple Macs at college, but found they weren't waterproof (stolen from grandpa bizzard) 

Edited by rusty69

6 minutes ago, pete.i said:

It's a piece of junk until they bring it out for Android. I would never buy Apple rubbish.

I have to agree that the iPhone I have found very disappointing Pete in comparison with Samsung , the only saving grace is that I never paid for it personally but I wouldn't have another .

40 minutes ago, NB Lola said:

Where, in comparison, I have had iPhones since 3s all the way to X and never a complaint.

Well I was the Polar Opposite , I always had Samsung Android Phones , I think my biggest complaint is that in comparison I find it unduly complicated , in call volume is another issue and sadly it doesn't come with an Instruction Booklet . The Apple Shop Staff I also find a bit pretentious and I dont have time to make appointments . This is a replacement Phone as the first Froze on me unheard of in all the years I had Samsung . I also have the MacBook which has been completely problem free .

1 hour ago, Parahandy said:

What a man you are , you dont like big Phone Screens but your ok with Big Sat Nav Screens ????? 

I would have thought the reasons for that are pretty obvious. They are two different tools.

But as you seem to be struggling, I will explain, I don't carry and use my Sat Nav in one hand for one thing nor do I carry it in my jeans pocket. I do however like the large screen on my Sat Nav because I find it easier to read on the move. I can operate my phone holding it one hand, I couldn't do that with a larger phone like the S6 which I sold to downsize to a Galaxy A3.

I didn't buy my phone for it's abilities as a Sat Nav, I bought it to use as a phone with the use of some app's that I don't need a large screen for such as the weather and banking. Equally I didn't buy my Sat Nav to use for anything else other than a Sat Nav. Equally I don't watch TV on my phone or do much browsing on it either. I have a Samsung Tablet or a PC/laptop for that.

This works for me.

3 hours ago, MJG said:

Use WAZE on a tablet?

Edited by cuthound
To unmangle the effects of autocorrect

3 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

I was surprised and impressed when Waze suddenly piped up with "Pothole ahead" complete with a countdown, I drove with baited breath until... nothing. Shame it didn't warn me of the several ones earlier. 

Otherwise it's OK. 

Whoever reported it got the location wrong. I find that often with roadworks but at least you know they’re in the vicinity. 

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Use WAZE on a tablet?

Why? I'm perfectly happy with my Garmin.

Besides, I've used Waze before and wasnt particularly impressed. 

38 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

I was surprised and impressed when Waze suddenly piped up with "Pothole ahead" complete with a countdown, I drove with baited breath until... nothing. Shame it didn't warn me of the several ones earlier. 

Otherwise it's OK. 

Information about hazards is input by other Waze users so you a reliant on them getting the location correct. And as far as i know there is no verification regarding accuracy so anybody can just about input anything they like.