SAT NAV ( WAZE )

Parahandy

Featured Posts

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/05/17/ford-waze-app-sync-3-voice-commands/?guccounter=1

I dont know if any of you still attach a Sat Nav to your windscreen when out and about , but if so I can recommend this WAZE which is a free download .

Stick it on your Smartphone a Windscreen Mount from the Local Market and off you go , this thing warns of everything from Potholes in the Road to Police

in the vicinity , it really is excellent . I run a fleet of Vehicles in the course of my Business and it has totally eradicated theft from vehicles , give it a go if you

haven't already , I think its probably the best out there .

• Greenie 1

The trouble we were having Athy was probably a combination of Employee Theft and Opportunist Theft . Whenever a Driver took a vehicle home with them they were broken into and Sat Nav Units amongst other things were stolen , now I simply instruct the Drivers to Download this App onto his own Phone and now no more thefts . Classic Capitalism Athy , put the Onus on the Employee ?

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Does it work with no internet connection? 

You must have an active Data Connection on your phone Rusty which most People have nowadays as part of their Contract

Just now, Parahandy said:

The trouble we were having Athy was probably a combination of Employee Theft and Opportunist Theft . Whenever a Driver took a vehicle home with them they were broken into and Sat Nav Units amongst other things were stolen , now I simply instruct the Drivers to Download this App onto his own Phone and now no more thefts . Classic Capitalism Athy , put the Onus on the Employee ?

Ah, that makes sense - so if the employee was "stealing" anything, it would be his own mobile phone. It is a sound idea - though it, at least to an outside observer, does not reflect well on the moral fibre of your drivers.

1 minute ago, Athy said:

Ah, that makes sense - so if the employee was "stealing" anything, it would be his own mobile phone. It is a sound idea - though it, at least to an outside observer, does not reflect well on the moral fibre of your drivers.

Well I did say " probably " who knows for sure Athy

3 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

You must have an active Data Connection on your phone Rusty which most People have nowadays as part of their Contract

Presumably with uninterrupted coverage, so perhaps not as robust as a satnav, unless you can download offline maps. 

6 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Will it pick up police speed traps on the south oxford.....some limited 4G down here? ........and the antenna pole is lying on the roof.

The latest Cwaze lists downed trees on the Oxford. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Does it work with no internet connection? 

I heard about Waze only recently and gave it a try. I'm still not sure if I will switch to it as I have been happily using the free app Navmii for quite a few years and haven't yet decided whether or not I prefer Waze.

One big difference is that Navmii does NOT need a data connection, just GPS. Of course with data turned off you don't get any real-time information such as traffic jams.

However it does need a chunk of storage space to download the maps to, although this can be on an SD card so it doesn't necessarily need to use the phone's own storage. According to my phone settings it is using 872MB.

3 hours ago, NB Lola said:

I have had Waze for 3 years or so and use it in preference to my car fitted Tom Tom.  Waze is always more accurate and is great at getting me away from jams, as well as informing me about roadkill ahead!

I've got a brand new Suzuki and the sat-nav is crap. Fortunately the  car 'screen' can also display my smartphone so it's Waze all the way from now on.

4 hours ago, Parahandy said:

What happens if the driver doesn't have a smart phone or wants to use their phone for company business?

Edited by Robbo

5 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Presumably with uninterrupted coverage, so perhaps not as robust as a satnav, unless you can download offline maps. 

I used Google Maps on my Android phone when in the US last year. As my contract doesn't include data in the US I downloaded a large area of offline mapping when on a wifi connection, and thereafter kept the GPS connection on but mobile data switched off, and the  routefinding functions worked just fine.

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I tried Waze a few years ago and couldn’t get on with it, so reverted to googlemaps. The interface looks like something designed to appeal to a six year old. Has it improved since?

I would have thought that would be right up your alley:)

31 minutes ago, Clodi said:

I've got a brand new Suzuki and the sat-nav is crap. Fortunately the  car 'screen' can also display my smartphone so it's Waze all the way from now on.

I got a new Vitara, dont use the sat nav much, until this morning in Macedonia when due to a highway closure i had to divert through a town, stupid thing kept trying to send me back to the highway. I guess i could have played with the settings but i found my own way quicker. Will have to try Waze on the car screen, had not thought of that.