Liverpool link moorings.

colmac

Featured Posts

Hi, booked to go to Liverpool in August. For various reasons we need to go in to Liverpool a few days before we are booked on passage. Does anyone with local knowledge know any safe moorings where we could leave the boat and take public transport into Liverpool for the day please. Thank you

If it really is a few days before then Parbold might be good. Safe popular visitor moorings and a train station. Pretty sure you would need to train to Southport and change there for the Liverpool train. Burscough is just a little closer in on the same train line but I would prefer Parbold (Burscough might have a direct train from its other station).

If you want to be a lot closer then Melling might be possible, it feels safe but I have never seen anybody moored there.  If its only one or two days then the CaRT yard at Litherland would be the best option.

.............Dave

For the day, you will be fine anywhere between Parbold and Maghull.

Scarisbrick marina if leaving unattended over night, also Mersey motor boat club , just outside the marina, or in Maghull may help.Maghull access to train station, 20 mins on train to Liverpool central.

As far as I'm aware Merseyside motorboat club do not allow liveaboards and imo i wouldn't leave a rowing boat in Litherland unattended. I know people who do moor there regularly but they have a large angry bull mastiff looking after the boat when not onboard. 

The best place to be on that stretch as I've mentioned before is Hall Lane Maghull. Power, water, parking, elsan and local shops. Five minute walk to the station and 20min journey to Liverpool every 15mins. Not always space available and no idea on cost if any but worth a try. PM me if you'd like contact details. 

From Parbold (or Appley Bridge or Gathurst), it's probably quicker to go back to Wigan and then take a train from there into Liverpool (although it will depend on connection times). From Burscough Bridge go into Southport and change. Or walk to Burscough Junction (about half a mile from the wharf) for a train to Ormskirk and change - trains from Burscough Junction are few and far between but you only need one.

Or if you go to Scarisbrick (either into the marina or on the towpath), bus into Ormskirk and then train.

Edited by John Wareing

• 9 months later...
On 17/05/2018 at 22:34, oldboater66 said:

As far as I'm aware Merseyside motorboat club do not allow liveaboards and imo i wouldn't leave a rowing boat in Litherland unattended. I know people who do moor there regularly but they have a large angry bull mastiff looking after the boat when not onboard. 

The best place to be on that stretch as I've mentioned before is Hall Lane Maghull. Power, water, parking, elsan and local shops. Five minute walk to the station and 20min journey to Liverpool every 15mins. Not always space available and no idea on cost if any but worth a try. PM me if you'd like contact details. 

Hi

what is it like mooring M58 side of bridge 11 ?