Joining the shiny boat brigade

Featured Posts

Hi everyone,

my boat will need waxing and polishing to bring the paint to life a bit and also to protect it.

From reading past topics I have gathered that the best would be to use Craftmaster products. I have found this Wash&Wax set

http://www.talbotwharf.co.uk/cleaning-products/craftmaster-wash-wax-set.html

Does anyone have a good experience with this and how is the best way to apply it, please. I've never done this type of job before, so would like to proceed with best advice and caution.

Also what cloth is the best.

Thank you for your replies

Martin

Well here's what I do, others may differ.

Don't clean in blazing sun for starters.

Hose the boat down well to get it wet and rid of any debris.

Whilst wet shampoo with a large soft sponge.

Rinse well with clean water.

Shammy the boat dry.

When dry apply polish to small areas at a time.

Use a soft cloth or microfibre cloth and polish.

When the boat is complete it will now be well into the afternoon.

Get a chair, a good bottle of Merlot or whatever your tipple is and admire your handiwork. :captain:

Edited by Ray T
  • Love 1

I had good result using a random orbital polisher (battery powered). To apply and polish the wax. Blue paint is > 5 years old.

bb.jpg

image.png.c762b6a5c4a2a4934f3f09f160cfa9f9.png

Edited by mark99
  • Love 1

For the last thirty odd years I've never worried about shiny paintwork on my two ex-FMC joshers.  The butty is now, I'm afraid to say, a shiny boat after its extensive recent resoration.

On our mooring there's a cheeky heron that uses the roof of the back cabin as a lookout post and a landing runway.  The wretched bird has rapier like claws which are digging into the paintwork.

Any ideas how I can protect the shiny roof short of putting a cover on it? ?

Also the skid marks are too deep for buffing out with the likes of T-Cut. Sigh.

1 hour ago, Martin Trnecka said:

Hi everyone,

my boat will need waxing and polishing to bring the paint to life a bit and also to protect it.

From reading past topics I have gathered that the best would be to use Craftmaster products. I have found this Wash&Wax set

Does anyone have a good experience with this and how is the best way to apply it, please. I've never done this type of job before, so would like to proceed with best advice and caution.

Martin

That is what I use (I've just placed an order direct with Craftmaster).  Wash with diluted shampoo using a sponge or washing brush then rinse. Once dry apply wax with a microfibre cloth and wipe off with another.

1 hour ago, koukouvagia said:

On our mooring there's a cheeky heron that uses the roof of the back cabin as a lookout post and a landing runway.  The wretched bird has rapier like claws which are digging into the paintwork.

Any ideas how I can protect the shiny roof short of putting a cover on it? ?

A 12-bore might do the job.

Thank you very much for your replies!

Ray T - Thanks for the tips. As for the afters: Cider it is?

Matty40s - I will do touch up  between waterline and gunnels. Considering to sand it a little and do a full paint if I find out what's on it now at first place.

Mark99 - will stick to hand for now, but really nice boat!

koukouvagia - I don't worry much about the shine, but just want to protect it really.

rgreg - the set I found consists of two bottles; one is shampoo&wax, the other polish. I gather the former goes first and latter second?

ianali - as in answer to rgreg. That bit is little confusing

1 hour ago, Martin Trnecka said:

Thank you very much for your replies!

Ray T - Thanks for the tips. As for the afters: Cider it is?

Matty40s - I will do touch up  between waterline and gunnels. Considering to sand it a little and do a full paint if I find out what's on it now at first place.

Mark99 - will stick to hand for now, but really nice boat!

koukouvagia - I don't worry much about the shine, but just want to protect it really.

rgreg - the set I found consists of two bottles; one is shampoo&wax, the other polish. I gather the former goes first and latter second?

ianali - as in answer to rgreg. That bit is little confusing

Shampoo and wax first, which puts a little wax on, then wax only. In between the full waxing as above (usually  twice a year) I just do the odd wash with only the shampoo and wax. 

22 minutes ago, lockedout said:

The guy who painted our boat recommended Autoglym Super Resin Polish - follow the instructions on the bottle. 

Hmmm... did he also explain the difference between polish and wax?  Super Resin is a great polish but it must be followed up with a good protective coating of either wax or one of the new ceramic coatings. 

6 hours ago, Martin Trnecka said:

Hi everyone,

Martin

That's a good bit of kit. But, don't do what I did and 'polish' the whole side of a 55' boat, moan and groan that this stuff is rubbish, and then realise you have polished it with the shampoo. Having said that, the shampoo improved the appearance, a little.

26 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Hmmm... did he also explain the difference between polish and wax?  Super Resin is a great polish but it must be followed up with a good protective coating of either wax or one of the new ceramic coatings. 

Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection?  Stick with the same system...

17 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Generally regarded as bad (ref some repainting).

Yes and no. The Autoglym products are pretty easily removed with panel wipe. In fact, if you’re going to use a ceramic coating finish you have to degrease any polish you’ve used anyway, but no-one is likely to do that on a boat.