What is the rough cost of a new gearbox?

PeterCr

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Thanks for your detailed explanation Peter.

My solution would be a pragmatic one. Life is bleeding away all the time so my priority would be to 'get a boat'. Any boat will do so in your shoes, I'd buy almost any half decent boat for sale at say ABNB, so I could get on the water and get boating immediately. Then at my leisure seek and find the 'right boat' that fits all my requirements, whilst enjoying the imperfect boat I currently own!

But I appreciate everyone likes to do things differently.

And you won't then be paying any more for months of accommodation while you look for the right boat.

Have you considered coming over here for a couple of months or so in the "off season" when holiday cottages and the like are very reasonable and the boat market is at its ebb?  Just another idea for the mix, because you're right about your being at the back of the queue from that far away and Mike is right about time passing. 

7 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Have you considered coming over here for a couple of months or so in the "off season" when holiday cottages and the like are very reasonable and the boat market is at its ebb?  Just another idea for the mix, because you're right about your being at the back of the queue from that far away and Mike is right about time passing. 

Yes we're thinking of that too, and today I'll be looking at hire boats as we would dearly like a month or so on the water this summer, so perhaps it's a hire boat again and get serious about buying a little down the track as you suggest. Maybe the perfect boat will come up as we're hiring, who knows.

One issue also is that we are looking for a nice boat in reverse layout. There are very few really good reverse layout boats on the market, and we keep hearing that reverse layout is what everyone else wants, probably for the same reasons. So we're wondering if we should just forget about the reverse layout and look at traditional layouts. More to choose from.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, cutandpolished61 said:

Interesting read gents. I had my nasty experience only yesterday with the gearbox. Bought a lovely 60ft cruiser and 1 hour after the handover and less than 100 yards cruising the gearbox broke. Still have to find out how the brokerage at Great Haywood will handle the situation.

I wouldn't expect you to get any 'satisfaction' from the Broker - they were simply acting as middle man in the sale between you and the vendor, 

You are extremely unlikely to have any warranty (unless it was the brokers own boat, rather than a brokerage boat, in which case you have the full strength of the consumer law and it should be fit-for-purpose)

If it was a brokerage boat you will have no warranty or legal protection from a 'private seller'.

Did you have a survey ? (including mechanicals  - most boat surveys don't include mechanicals unless specifically asked for)

I had a similar situation some (many) years ago and after trying to get it resolved thru' all the legal jiggery-pokery had to give up.

It was a 'brokers boat' (not a private owner) but when I put a claim in it suddenly became owned by the Finance Director of the Brokerage and hence became a 'private sale' with the company purely acting as a broker.

I then tried to take the Surveyor to court but was told by my Solicitor that the surveyors 'small print' meant that he was not responsible for 'anything' and I'd be throwing £10,000's away in a court case I couldn't win.

That boat cost me £60,000 in repairs to bring it up to being usable again.

Never had a survey since !!

Wishing you good luck, I'm sure we would all be interested in the outcome.