Mooring between Farmers Bridge and Aston Lock Flights

RAB

Featured Posts

Firstly thanks to those who replied to my question as to which way round to do the Black County Ring. We still haven't decided yet, but due to timings / stops we're potentially looking at Clockwise. If we go Clockwise, is it OK to moor overnight between the Farmers Bridge and Aston Lock Flights? Looking at Google maps towards Farmers Bridge locks seems OK ish, and close to some pubs  food etc. (but not a single moored boat on the photos?).

As always looking forward to your pearls of wisdom.

There used to be a boat moored against the factory on the offside, that is all that is safe on that stretch. 

I would gonna past the Aston top lock and round to just above the Ashted flight, the moorings are fairly safe there, cctv plenty and security patrols round the university.

I would then do the Garrison flight as it's far more interesting than the Aston flight.

Edited by matty40s

Personally I wouldn't moor around that area, as the top of Farmers Bridge to the topic Aston flight is only a couple of hours I would moor around the top of Farmers Bridge.  We usually moor in the Oozel Loop or on the stretch outside the Birmingham Arena (I think that is what it is currently called).

To the question in the title, no you should not moor overnight there.  If you are going from/to the centre of Birmingham you would normally go to/from Curdworth in one hop, that is what we do, and will be doing in a couple of weeks time, befor Aston closes for the works.  If you want to go Ashted/Garrison then there is the university moorings above Ashted, never stopped there personally but people say is ok. After/before Garrison there is Star City which we have stopped on, but be prepared that Star City is very down market compared to when it was when first opened, so you may not find it too rewarding, but the mooring should be ok.

10 hours ago, Richard T said:

Aston flight closes on 4th June for about 6weeks. So you have to go via Ashted and Garrison locks. I quite like that route. There are safe moorings at Star City and you can see a film while you are.

Fundamental error by me not checking planned closures! Many thanks Richard T, plus all other replies. Looks like I will just have to use all my charm and persuade the better half that all those locks arn't as bad as they look, might be able to convince her to actually helm!

18 minutes ago, RAB said:

Fundamental error by me not checking planned closures! Many thanks Richard T, plus all other replies. Looks like I will just have to use all my charm and persuade the better half that all those locks arn't as bad as they look, might be able to convince her to actually helm!

And me too! I was planning to come down Aston and Farmers Bridge Locks at the end of June en-route to Gas Street ( or thereabouts ). I have just adjusted the route in Canalplan to use the Garrison Locks and it makes little to no difference to the original route in terms of number of Locks and only a couple more miles.

The question was - can you moor between the two flights.

IIRC - quite apart from the desirability of doing so, the answer should be 'No' as you can't get a pin into the towpath it's all solid concrete and probably high voltage ducts there as well (!Bang!)

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

The question was - can you moor between the two flights.

IIRC - quite apart from the desirability of doing so, the answer should be 'No' as you can't get a pin into the towpath it's all solid concrete and probably high voltage ducts there as well (!Bang!)

There are a couple of places that have rings or bollards so there is provision for mooring.

In December 2011 we moored up at the foot of Farmers Bridge flight, with no problems, I think there were either bollards or rings, went to a Syrian restaurant no more than 100 mètres away and had an excellent meal. No disturbance overnight, and up the flight the next morning.