Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Dunworkin

Good and bad brokers?

Featured Posts

From experience: ABNB;  Anecdotally: Rugby (other good brokers are available, some others will be recommended shortly).  Frankly, unless you're quite savvy and know boats, I'd say you should worry quite a lot about the broker! ;)

Edited by Sea Dog
Incomplete post

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure that you need to worry about a good or bad broker.

What does a 'bad' broker do that a 'good' broker doesn't, or vice-versa ?

 

The main think a 'bad' broker can do is mislead you or misrepresent the boat, but :

a) You can see for yourself what the boat is like and what equipment it has.

b ) You will no doubt be having a survey undertaken to give independent confirmation of the condition of the Hull, engine etc.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Purchased our boat through Sawley Marina. Smooth and pleasant process with helpful staff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If a broker is selling a boat find out if the broker is acting for a third party or actually owns the boat. Also ask if they have a dedicated customer account for funds whilst the sale is taking place.

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

 

b ) You will no doubt be having a survey undertaken to give independent confirmation of the condition of the Hull, engine etc.

 

 

Take this to heart! Actually, a marine surveyor does not usually test the engine, but he will certainly test the hull. He may also check safety features such as gas installation, fire extinguishers and the like - you can get various levels of inspection depending on how much you pay him. Test the engine yourself by running it: does it start easily? (ggod). Does it run regularly? (ggod). Is it very smoky? (bad).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dunworkin said:

We are looking to buy our first boat.....loads of brokers to choose from. Any thoughts on the ones to choose and avoid?

My present boat is a great boat. I happened to be with just about the worst brokerage in the known universe but I bought the boat despite the broker. The broker is nowt to do with the boat just like an estate agent they know how to smile whilst taking your money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Athy said:

Take this to heart! Actually, a marine surveyor does not usually test the engine, but he will certainly test the hull. He may also check safety features such as gas installation, fire extinguishers and the like - you can get various levels of inspection depending on how much you pay him. 

Trevor Whitling, Craig Allen,  Ian Jennings and Chris Williams all run the engines as part of their boat surveys.........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

.

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

Trevor Whitling, Craig Allen,  Ian Jennings and Chris Williams all run the engines as part of their boat surveys.........

Steve Hands also runs the engine as part of a full survey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any fool can run an engine.

 

I wonder how many surveyors properly examine a boat by undertaking even the most basic 'dismantling'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

My present boat is a great boat. I happened to be with just about the worst brokerage in the known universe but I bought the boat despite the broker. The broker is nowt to do with the boat just like an estate agent they know how to smile whilst taking your money.

Tim, you're quite savvy and know boats, and there I'd agree that the broker makes little difference.  However, if Joe Public with little (possibly no) idea turned up to buy a boat, there are brokers that would "stuff one up them", possibly with a boat they actually own but don't admit to so as to deprive them of their rights.  A good surveyor acting for the buyer is the best mitigation in this circumstance, but these brokers might best be avoided by the uninitiated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Tim, you're quite savvy and know boats, and there I'd agree that the broker makes little difference.  However, if Joe Public with little (possibly no) idea turned up to buy a boat, there are brokers that would "stuff one up them", possibly with a boat they actually own but don't admit to so as to deprive them of their rights.  A good surveyor acting for the buyer is the best mitigation in this circumstance, but these brokers might best be avoided by the uninitiated. 

I see where you are coming from, but Shirley a 'good' surveyor (there is another question - which one ?) acting for the buyer would help minimise / avoid the risk of them having one "stuffed up them".

 

The boat is more important than the broker.

Pay cash and take the boat away with you and you don't even run the risk of losing your money if the broker does a runner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Tim, you're quite savvy and know boats, and there I'd agree that the broker makes little difference.  However, if Joe Public with little (possibly no) idea turned up to buy a boat, there are brokers that would "stuff one up them", possibly with a boat they actually own but don't admit to so as to deprive them of their rights.  A good surveyor acting for the buyer is the best mitigation in this circumstance, but these brokers might best be avoided by the uninitiated. 

I agree but in my last and present boat purchase if I hadnt used that broker I wouldnt have bought a bloomin great boat. It wasnt the broker starting with a W either :D There is a worse one out there at least!! I arnt saying not to be careful or even if you want to have a survey all I am saying is a bloody good boat may well be for sale with a crap broker and will still be a good boat to buy  innitt so you have to check every broker realy to find the boat that is out there for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fins the majority of businesses that I deal with lacking in many ways. Be that customer service, product knowledge or downright crookedness. This seems to apply right from your corner shop to big business. I expect no better from boat brokers. Find your boat then tread carefully when dealing with the broker and surveyer.

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.