North Oxford blocked by oak tree

MtB

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

I have a photo somewhere of a BW guy standing on the bough of a tree that's flat across the cut, using a chainsaw to cut the bit beyond him with the saw half in the water and spraying merrily over him.

Contractors have been on site doing exactly that since about 6.00pm now, and very professional they seem too. 

They are using fantastically sharp chainsaws and a neat portable petrol driven winch/windlass they strap to a tree on the bank to haul the huge lumps of oak out of the cut. 

14 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Contractors have been on site doing exactly that since about 6.00pm now, and very professional they seem too. 

They are using fantastically sharp chainsaws and a neat portable petrol driven winch/windlass they strap to a tree on the bank to haul the huge lumps of oak out of the cut. 

I've used one of those winches/windlass things a few times, once got a smallish log caught up mid way up a steep bank, I kept said winch working and the log released rather explosively, flew over my head and hit the van behind me

what's all the discussion about?  it's broken innit. ....... please somebody - fixxit afore MtB has a hissy fit.

..............  unless it's all part of a CRT conspiracy to block navigation on so many canals that we all have to be continuous moorers, which will justify many more jobs doing enforcement and section eight-ing.  ......  perhaps some Mothercare and Toys'R Us veterans will be glad of the employment possibilities.  :unsure:

Edited by Murflynn

This calls for the famous Brian Johnston quote:

" The bowler's Holding the batsman's Willey."

But - 

The oft-cited quote "The bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willey" supposedly occurred when Michael Holding of the West Indies was bowling to Peter Willey of England in a Test match at The Oval in 1976. Johnston claimed not to have noticed saying anything odd during the match, and that he was only alerted to his gaffe by a letter from "a lady" named "Miss Mainpiece".[12][13] According to Christopher Martin-Jenkins,[14] his Cricinfo biography,[15] and the biography by Johnston's son Barry,[16] Johnston never actually made the remark. Barry Johnston says "It was too good a pun to resist ... but Brian never actually said that he had spoken the words on air." Holding himself has expressed his doubt about the phrase ever being said, pointing out that no recording of it exists. Henry Blofeld and former TMS Producer Peter Baxter said that Johnston did not come up with the phrase and did not say it during commentary.[17]

Edited by Ray T

2 hours ago, Jo_ said:

Hillmorten lockies said they were having a quiet morning today.  Then, all of a sudden, 47 boats turned up. ? effect ? 

They are exaggerating. When I finally got through at 11am this morning (thanks to sterling work by two teams of foreign chainsaw artistes), I counted only 36 boats waiting to go south. 

The last one of the 36 was a hire boat crewed by a bunch of Americans. They asked me to confirm they would be through in an hour. Bless!

I suggested four hours and they looked horrified....

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
Fekkin spelll chek

14 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The last one of the 36 was a hire boat crewed by a bunch of Americans. They asked me to confirm they would be through in an hour. Bless!

I suggested four hours and they looked horrified....

............  they've got to get to Windsor tomorrow night.  :cheers:

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Ray T said:

This calls for the famous Brian Johnston quote:

" The bowler's Holding the batsman's Willey."

But - 

The oft-cited quote "The bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willey" supposedly occurred when Michael Holding of the West Indies was bowling to Peter Willey of England in a Test match at The Oval in 1976. Johnston claimed not to have noticed saying anything odd during the match, and that he was only alerted to his gaffe by a letter from "a lady" named "Miss Mainpiece".[12][13] According to Christopher Martin-Jenkins,[14] his Cricinfo biography,[15] and the biography by Johnston's son Barry,[16] Johnston never actually made the remark. Barry Johnston says "It was too good a pun to resist ... but Brian never actually said that he had spoken the words on air." Holding himself has expressed his doubt about the phrase ever being said, pointing out that no recording of it exists. Henry Blofeld and former TMS Producer Peter Baxter said that Johnston did not come up with the phrase and did not say it during commentary.[17]

I think its both sad and wrong when people use boring facts to destroy these wonderful urban myths, you'll be telling us next that Captain Pugwash's crew did not include Master Bates, Seaman Staines or Roger the cabin boy ?.

...............Dave

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, dmr said:

I think its both sad and wrong when people use boring facts to destroy these wonderful urban myths, you'll be telling us next that Captain Pugwash's crew did not include Master Bates, Seaman Staines or Roger the cabin boy ?.

...............Dave

Sorry to disillusion you but James Cagney never said "You dirty rat" either. 

https://www.purpleclover.com/health/1423-you-remembered-it-wrong/item/cagney/

Edited by Ray T

• 2 weeks later...