North Oxford blocked by oak tree

MtB

Featured Posts

18 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Thats a failure and a half, tbh I think it's a remnant from a previous failure.

Thanks for the photo mike

Isn't it just!

A bloke from Fountains came past just now mowing the grass, stopped for a chat and seemed quite knowledgeable. He reckoned from the colour of the wood at the base it was a tree suffering from "oak die back", and we will be seeing a lot more of this in the future. 

The best pic I can get of the failure. It is on the off side. 

6EF4345B-356F-4509-A47E-81F5C5F9C3A5.jpeg.d999b2eb1df2919e61a184d024835d38.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Isn't it just!

A bloke from Fountains came past just now mowing the grass, stopped for a chat and seemed quite knowledgeable. He reckoned from the colour of the wood at the base it was a tree suffering from "oak die back", and we will be seeing a lot more of this in the future. 

Hmmmmm

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

Hmmmmm

Is that the sound of the chap who's just arrived at the scene with his chain saw, to lay in a stock of firewood for next winter?

Just now, tree monkey said:

Hmmmmm

I thought you'd say that!

I've heard of ash die back but he reckoned it is getting oaks now. Is that a road of borrocks? 

I just added another pic to my post 8 above for your dissection.

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

I thought you'd say that!

I've heard of ash die back but he reckoned it is getting oaks now. Is that a road of borrocks? 

I just added another pic to my post 8 above for your dissection.

Theres a couple of Oak issues, largely caused by a combination of pathogens made worse by general abiotic stress, the symptoms have been around for a good few years and I've certainly seen no general panic, there are problems but no signs for major panic.

Ash dieback is completely different and doesn't effect Oaks but  even that is a slow burner

Emerald Ash borer, now thats a potential real problem,  just hope that never gets here

Just now, Stilllearning said:

There is Sudden Oak Death Syndrome

I think it has it’s own law...

There is yes

Theres a couple of Oak issues, largely caused by a combination of pathogens made worse by general abiotic stress, the symptoms have been around for a good few years and I've certainly seen no general panic, there are problems but no signs for major panic.

Ash dieback is completely different and doesn't effect Oaks but  even that is a slow burner

Emerald Ash borer, now thats a potential real problem,  just hope that never gets here

Whereas this looks like good ol' rot from an old split

I can cut grass too

Richard

It does yes, I do love this sort of stuff :)

Can you nip over with a chain saw? There is bugger all happening here and it is now 4 1/2 hours since it fell down.

Not even anyone in a suit has been to look at it, that I've noticed!

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Can you nip over with a chain saw? There is bugger all happening here and it is now 4 1/2 hours since it fell down.

I would spend a hour trying to work out why it failed, not exactly what you want ;)

1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

I would spend a hour trying to work out why it failed, not exactly what you want ;)

Well ok, never mind cutting it up. Could you just put it back up again perhaps?

We'd be much obliged...

Be glad for updates on this. We're currently down near Braunston, doing nothing much, but due that way perhaps tomorrow. So it would be good to know if it's been cleared!

By way of exchange, the Elsan point at Midland Chandlers (Braunston Junction) is out of action. I reported it as leaking and possible part blockage, CRT say they inspected and the pump needs fixing (?pump for the Elsan? - shows I know nothing) and that the tank needs to be drained (which they said they'd do today - Wed 16 May) so the contractors can fix. Nearest CRT alternative is canal-side one before the Stop House.

55 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

That's bloody CRT for you! In t'old days, BW would have whittled the trunk into a canoe, made flower arrangements with the brash, tidied up, polished the water surface to a bright shine, fed the goldfish and paddled off before anyone even reported it. ;)

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Thats a failure and a half, tbh I think it's a remnant from a previous failure.

Thanks for the photo mike

Looks like it has been fractured in the way that bamboo does when you try to snap it, at some stage during winter, the leaves giving enough mass for a relatively light wind to finish the job.

7 minutes ago, BWM said:

Looks like it has been fractured in the way that bamboo does when you try to snap it, at some stage during winter, the leaves giving enough mass for a relatively light wind to finish the job.

Yes it does, its difficult to truly make an assessment via a photo but there appears to be some brown rot in the fallen stem, which normally causes a brittle fracture but the upright remaining stem looks fairly clean.

The root area of the fallen bit looks limited as well.

To me it looks wrong somehow but I would need to prod and poke the actual tree to be confident of any real assessment

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

That's bloody CRT for you! In t'old days, BW would have whittled the trunk into a canoe, made flower arrangements with the brash, tidied up, polished the water surface to a bright shine, fed the goldfish and paddled off before anyone even reported it. ;)

I have a photo somewhere of a BW guy standing on the bough of a tree that's flat across the cut, using a chainsaw to cut the bit beyond him with the saw half in the water and spraying merrily over him.