No London Boat Show Next Year

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

Maybe a change in venue may help.

Move North and save the horrendous charges of getting into London.

Move the dates so better weather can be expected.

Try and encourage 'affordable' boats and equipment, multi-million £ yachts may be nice to look at but how many would an exhibitor actually expect to sell in a UK boat show ?

Maybe look at Birmingham in May - that should increase the visitors footfall.

The London show is a bit neither one thing or the other, funny location and not really water based. Southampton is a crap city but it does a good boat show. Didn't Liverpool try to do a show a couple of years ago but it never really got off the ground???  I suspect giving up on London and doing a really good Northern event in Liverpool might be the way to go.

................Dave

3 hours ago, dmr said:

The London show is a bit neither one thing or the other, funny location and not really water based. Southampton is a crap city but it does a good boat show. Didn't Liverpool try to do a show a couple of years ago but it never really got off the ground???  I suspect giving up on London and doing a really good Northern event in Liverpool might be the way to go.

................Dave

http://www.northernboatshow.co.uk/

I've been to London, Southampton and of course Crick and always found them much of a muchness. Crick was good for fit-out ideas, Southampton was better for buying bits and pieces than London and all the boatshows are always good for deals on rope, but if you're not actually in the market for a boat, that's about it.

4 hours ago, dmr said:

................Dave

went to Soton once - after walking through the small compound and out towards the pontoons I realised it was just a venue for lots of million dollar plastic bath-tubs to have a love-in.  I went back and spent an interesting hour looking at the small boats in the compound, bought a book at Adlard Coles and then left, never to return.  Even the cornish pasties were rubbish - greasy flaky pastry on a plate.  In the early days (1950's) Earl's Court was fun, but long before it moved to NEC it was very much the same as Soton.

9 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

went to Soton once - after walking through the small compound and out towards the pontoons I realised it was just a venue for lots of million dollar plastic bath-tubs to have a love-in.  I went back and spent an interesting hour looking at the small boats in the compound, bought a book at Adlard Coles and then left, never to return.  Even the cornish pasties were rubbish - greasy flaky pastry on a plate.  In the early days (1950's) Earl's Court was fun, but long before it moved to NEC it was very much the same as Soton.

Well that's is how it goes with "luxury" boat shows, I expect you don't even get to look round the expensive boats unless you can afford to buy one, and the salesmen have ways of knowing!!!!!   Have been to the Southampton boat show a few times 'cus I used to get free tickets, the "small boat show", usually tucked away in a corner, was by far the best bit.

.................Dave

1 hour ago, dmr said:

Well that's is how it goes with "luxury" boat shows, I expect you don't even get to look round the expensive boats unless you can afford to buy one, and the salesmen have ways of knowing!!!!!   Have been to the Southampton boat show a few times 'cus I used to get free tickets, the "small boat show", usually tucked away in a corner, was by far the best bit.

.................Dave

I have never had a problem looking around the most expensive multi million pound boats at the London Show, you might have had to wait a while but I have never been refused entry.

9 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

I have never had a problem looking around the most expensive multi million pound boats at the London Show, you might have had to wait a while but I have never been refused entry.

why would you want to?   any more than I want to see the most expensive suites at the Dorchester Hotel.